Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 06:52 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
<snip>

Secondly, in my role playing, I speak bit words of German, French, Russian, Spanish, Polynesian, and Arabic.......I can count in Japanese. I would like to learn more.....especially of a language like Tagalog where I am not likely to come across someone who knows it and then try to converse with me.

<snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Move to the Philippines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We have a very active Filipino center with lots of events.

Maybe you do to, or find one.
https://naffaa.org/
She specifically said she does not want to speak to real people. It's just for her fantasy life, which raises the question, why not just babble in gibberish and pretend you're speaking Tagalog since no one else is in the room anyway. Unlikely some Filipino is going to wander on to your ranch in Texas and start asking you for directions.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:44 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
I like Duo Lingo. I learned Spanish in grammar school -very rudimentary-in Chicago we had a lot of Cuban immigrants join our class in Chicago, so one of the mom's taught us Spanish.

Then I took 2 years in high school. Fast forward-after I retired I became an on-line tutor. Some of the kids speak Spanish so I started using Duo Lingo to strengthen my Spanish. I passed the test to be certified bi-lingual for the company.

My family always chuckles when they hear me chatting to a student in Spanish. I am still not polished but we can understand each other and they usually pass the questions for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 09:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Move to the Philippines.
Been there, when Marcos was "King" and C-124s occupied Clark AFB.......when Clark AFB occupied there. But, retirement speaking wise, my traveling days are over and I am certainly not going back there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
She specifically said she does not want to speak to real people. It's just for her fantasy life, which raises the question, why not just babble in gibberish and pretend you're speaking Tagalog since no one else is in the room anyway. Unlikely some Filipino is going to wander on to your ranch in Texas and start asking you for directions.
It is not that far off the deep end.

It's my role, my part, my story when I am at Renaissance Festivals, of being the sister of a rich brother. He got tired of the spoils of wealth, left me in charge, and went off to travel the world. Well, I decided he was right, left the black cat (sheep) in charge, and took off traveling as well.

When I greet people at festival, I say "Hello" and "Thank you", maybe some other words, in the languages I know......and my fear is that I will run into another player who knows more of that language and will want to converse in it. So I figure knowing more words in a language not well recognized "in these parts", is the safe path to know, follow, learn.

Gibberish is troublesome for it is like lying........you have to remember what you have said. FURTHER, since I am a regular, a recognized character at festival, sort of an unofficial ambassador (which is useful since the festival organizers give me some kind of cover as a photographer), it really would not serve me nor my sponsors, present or past, to come across as a self centered jerk.

Finally, I practice, for the auto lexicon selector in my head*, my common foreign language words when on the University, dodging people trying to give or sell me something. I remember the confusion of once when I responded, "Nyet, dasvidaniya" (Russian) and I heard in my wake the confusion of "not now but later?". It sort of translates into "No, thank you" and I think thank you is similarly pronounced........but around here, how many people would know the difference?

*in situations such as festival and dodging salesmen, I put my language response on automatic where I tell my mind to respond in that phrase in a foreign language and subconscious thought picks which language to use.

**Sometimes on stage, such as when we were doing Chekhov in class, I'll memorize the direct translation of a phrase to use, if needed.

Such as "I am the Goddess of Love. Pucker up, Ba-by!" which translates into
"YA boginya lyubvi. Podnimis', malyshka!" in Russian.........but translated back, it is not the same..................

......................."I am the goddess of love. Get up, baby!".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-16-2024 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-20-2024, 11:16 AM

325 posts, read 184,239 times
I learned Python during covid. Thinking about learning Java but it's such a mess not sure if it's worth it. Already know C/C++.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement