Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 06:51 PM

141 posts, read 420,938 times

Advertisements

23 years here. I really enjoyed it when I smoked. Loved lounging with a cigarette, taking in the scene (wherever I was). For awhile, I chain smoked. And then I woke up one day and was done. Just done. Never wanted to smoke again, and never did. Didn't even miss it. Was just over it.

Now I linger and lounge with my cup of coffee. Sips replaced puffs. I very much enjoyed smoking when I did it. It's been 23 years, and so glad I don't do it anymore. That stuff will kill ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 07:58 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,854,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yep. Money was my motivator to quit. Twelve years. It's nice to be a non-smoker. I occasionally miss the social aspect of it, like having a cigarette after a good dinner, or enjoying a drink and a smoke with friends, but not enough to ever risk going back to being a slave to the damn things. I miss the mental sharpness that nicotine provided, but it isn't worth the risks to my health or the cost of addiction.

Props to you for quitting!

I don't smoke, but the grocery store I go to has the cigarettes behind the cashiers. I was SHOCKED at how expensive cigarettes are, even by the carton. I don't know how someone could have a 2-pack a day habit at the prices they charge in NYC.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:27 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Yeah, spouse couldn’t keep up with us on a hike. I had a cast on my leg & we had a 4 y.o. kid. Daughter & I went back down the mountain to look for him. He was sitting on a boulder huffing & puffing. Our daughter told him she would stop biting her nails if he stopped smoking. He managed to do it 4 years later.

Good for all of you who did it. Another anniversary coming up for me, sister died nearly 19 years ago, small cell lung cancer. She never stopped, couldn’t do it.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:32 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Congrats to your spouse.
Smoking is a nasty addiction.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:29 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,262,003 times
I'm coming up on 21 months. Smoked 'full time' for 40 years, albeit not heavily. Probably something over half a pack a day. Stopped a handful of times over the years, once for 4 months, so I know I can't have that first one. But oh my goodness... a couple times a week I really want one.

I stopped because my better half was 20+ years reformed, and her and the doc ganged up me. Never had any medical issues due to smoking, and can honestly say I don't feel even a teensy bit better today than I did at 5:00 am on May 16, 2022. Also never had any 'physical' problems putting them down. But the mental part was a *****.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:46 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
My doctor told me that I need to start smoking. I'm not getting enough tar.
I figure if and when I make it to 85 I'll start back any nasty habits I had as a youth. I just hope I'm strong enough to enjoy them.

Do they throw 85yo's in jail any longer ?

Old 01-17-2024, 06:24 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,376,660 times
When I was in the Navy in the 1950s the ship's store sold them for $1.00 a carton, but only when we were at sea. It was a tax thing. It was a simple thing to keep a couple of cartons in your locker.

Enlisted men were not allowed to posses civilian clothes on ship.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:16 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
After 10 years of smoking, I was a very heavy smoker by the age of 24. I was the guy who lit the next cigarette with the remnants of the previous cigarette.

My last cigarette was February 14, 1970 at 2 AM thanks to a respiratory attack that scared the s-h-i-t out of me.

It's beyond me how people can start smoking these days with the cost of cigarettes. A pack a day smoker can spend $300 per month on cigarettes. For a lot of people that could be a car payment.
My pulmonologist told me 8 years ago, if I continued to smoke I'd be dead in 5 years and I'm still alive and doing quite well, thanks to inhalers. And I'll continue to smoke. I only smoke thirds now, or halves, and less than a pack a day.

For those that quit smoking due to the high cost????????????? I've been making my own for 22 years now, and it comes out to $2.25 a pack, even today. I only smoke the organic Indian tobacco with no tar or additives.

Let's not forget that Tobacco is an Herb. Once again, it's an Herb with medicinal properties. Got that? Or do I need to repeat that one more time?

Yes, being a smoker, it can be highly restrictive in other ways. I've all but given up on traveling anymore due to my treasured addiction to tobacco. Smoke free hotels/motels (not that I'd smoke in my room anyway), and in some of these hotels, you can't even smoke on the balconies. You can't smoke in a rental car, some cities have banned smoking in the entire city like Fountain Hills, AZ and Ashland, OR. Bloomberg, in NYC, even banned smoking in office plaza's, city parks including Central Park and Coney Island. No smoking on the beaches in So. California.

You can argue your lungs out, 2nd hand smoke does not have the dangers it purports to. I grew up in an 800SF home in the 50's/60's, in MN, with my Dad smoking 3 packs a day, with barely a cracked window open, and? My brother, sister, myself, what was the impact, and for the millions that faced the same environment back then.

No congrats to those who have quit smoking! Come to one of my Start Smoking classes! LOL!

Old 01-18-2024, 11:04 PM

See below

Old 01-18-2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My pulmonologist told me 8 years ago, if I continued to smoke I'd be dead in 5 years and I'm still alive and doing quite well, thanks to inhalers. And I'll continue to smoke. I only smoke thirds now, or halves, and less than a pack a day.

For those that quit smoking due to the high cost????????????? I've been making my own for 22 years now, and it comes out to $2.25 a pack, even today. I only smoke the organic Indian tobacco with no tar or additives.

Let's not forget that Tobacco is an Herb. Once again, it's an Herb with medicinal properties. Got that? Or do I need to repeat that one more time?

Yes, being a smoker, it can be highly restrictive in other ways. I've all but given up on traveling anymore due to my treasured addiction to tobacco. Smoke free hotels/motels (not that I'd smoke in my room anyway), and in some of these hotels, you can't even smoke on the balconies. You can't smoke in a rental car, some cities have banned smoking in the entire city like Fountain Hills, AZ and Ashland, OR. Bloomberg, in NYC, even banned smoking in office plaza's, city parks including Central Park and Coney Island. No smoking on the beaches in So. California.

You can argue your lungs out, 2nd hand smoke does not have the dangers it purports to. I grew up in an 800SF home in the 50's/60's, in MN, with my Dad smoking 3 packs a day, with barely a cracked window open, and? My brother, sister, myself, what was the impact, and for the millions that faced the same environment back then.

No congrats to those who have quit smoking! Come to one of my Start Smoking classes! LOL!

Thanks for your amazing contribution to my thread.

I’ll send you directions to my sister’s gravesite so you can enlighten her to the benefits of cigarettes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement