Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 01:27 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times

Advertisements

I came of age in the late 1970s.

I HATED these things in the 70s, and I still do -

1. Discos, "Saturday Night Fever", "The Bee Gees" and John Travolta.

2. "The Brady Bunch", "Welcome Back Kotter" "Happy Days" and "The Partridge Family"

3. Farrah Fawcett Hairstyles

4. Plaid Bell Bottoms or "flairs"

6. Neon Orange anything, macaroni, Cheetos, shag carpets, wallpaper or cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 01:30 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Things people your age get nostalgic about that make you SICK!

That would be going on and on about the "good old days", which were NOT good for many people.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:46 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

2. "The Brady Bunch", "Welcome Back Kotter" "Happy Days" and "The Partridge Family"

I never thought much about any of those things, still don't. My spouse is obsessed with every "Star Trek" episode ever made, not to mention (say it quietly) "Star Trek: The Next Generation". My preference would have been for Wesley Crusher to be tossed out of an airlock.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:55 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
The good old days before women had credit rights or other legal problems, the "all the boomers got jobs" during the recession of 1973, the Vietnam war going on, etc.etc.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:09 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,107 times
We all like different things and have different life experiences, or maybe we just remember the same experiences differently. I sometimes cringe when I recall some of the fashions I liked in my teens and 20s, but I was a product of the time and place I grew up, and as I learned more and traveled more and met better people, I think I learned to make better choices. I expect my current horror at my uninformed choices at that time is simply the result of maturity, exposure to more and better things, and increased self-awareness. I have to agree about that music and those TV shows, though. They were awful, and I recall thinking they were awful then.

Not everyone has the opportunity to experience better things as they move through life, so they seem to cling to things that brought them comfort when they were younger, a time when they possibly think they were happier. You're probably more comfortable with yourself now than they are. Those things from the past were relatively harmless, so maybe just feel sorry for the folks who haven't grown much and let them be.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:10 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I never thought much about any of those things, still don't. My spouse is obsessed with every "Star Trek" episode ever made, not to mention (say it quietly) "Star Trek: The Next Generation". My preference would have been for Wesley Crusher to be tossed out of an airlock.
I don't think of them, but others talkj about them. I have never seen a "Starwars" movie. No interest.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:14 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:

That's a pretty weird list OP.

I might not love every single thing on there, but none of them make me "sick".

Old 01-11-2024, 02:14 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Quote:

Start a blog??

Old 01-11-2024, 02:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I think of disco as being the 80's even though it started in the late 70s. My memories of the music of the 70s is groups like Santana, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and Led Zeppelin. I agree that those TV shows sucked, and my nostalgia for TV then was more like Chips, Taxi, Emergency, WKRP, Mash and Odd Couple. I wouldn't go back and watch them on YouTube now though, once was enough.

I wore the slightly flared bottom cords back then, but no nostalgia for them. I do with I had kept a couple of my old long sleeved paisley shirts. I do still have my custom made leather vest from a head shop in SF, but cannot button it.

I agree, no interest in reviving the neon colored clothes or the Farrah Fawcett hair styles. We went to visit a friend who went to Arizona State one time back then and 90% of the girls there were blond with that same hairstyle.

I have the same beard I did in 1974 when we got married, but my hair is much shorter now. I do love some of the cars from those days, and currently have a 1974 Nova. When we bought this house in 1993 (built 1978) almost every room had wallpaper, and we spent weeks removing it. The "bonus room" over the garage came with dark brown shag carpeting, and we left it. I use it as my workshop for my hobbies, and we figured we could let it get messed up and change it before we sell and move.

One of the worst things is the popcorn ceiling. That's took us years to get rid of, a room at a time.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:36 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I liked The Partridge Family when I was 12, 13. I was going to marry David Cassidy, until I found out he was OLD--really 20, not 16 like they first told us, plus I read in Tiger Beat that he was only 5'6". I was already way taller than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement