Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 10:15 AM

2,026 posts, read 1,018,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are couples travel trailers that have a queen sized bed at one with a black out curtain that can be drawn across for privacy and at the other end is a seating area.

I follow a couple on YouTube that has a toy hauler RV, and where their bike is stored (in the rear) while traveling, it's an office with a bathroom when they're parked. It has a seating area with a bed that comes down hydraulically from the roof and has room for their two desks, computers, and monitors. That would work perfectly for us, if we ever decided to go full-time. An RV like that costs as much as a house, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 11:11 AM

409 posts, read 294,834 times
I'm a light sleeper and we have radically different sleep schedules. Separate bedrooms because of this.

Sharing a hotel room isn't ideal because I snore, despite wearing a mandibular advancement device) and so does he, though probably not to the extent that I do. We compromise on how early we get up.

Old 01-12-2024, 10:25 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,300,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I retired 2 years ago, but my spouse still wants to work a few more years, until we are empty nesters. At that time, we want to begin traveling again, like we did before we had kids, only more often and with longer durations. One of the problems that I anticipate is that my spouse could sleep all day if I let her. I, unfortunately, need only 6 hours of sleep before I'm awake.

She starts getting ready for bed right after 9pm, and it's usually lights out by 9:30. . . 10 at the latest. I think that it's important to go to bed at the same time as she does, but unfortunately this results in me being up by 4 or 5am. When we are at home on the weekend, it's not a problem. I putter around the living area of the house, have breakfast, check my email, read the daily news, maybe watch a TV show, and of course catch up on City-Data. I'll usually go in to the bedroom and wake her up at 8 or 9am.

On vacations though, when we are in a hotel room, it's really a pain in the butt. . . literally. I'll wake up at 5 am, collect my phone, reading glasses, a magazine, maybe a book of crossword puzzles, etc. and go into the bathroom. I'll fold up a bath towel, put it on the floor, and park myself on it for 2 or 3 hours. By the time I wake her up at 8am, I'll have already shaved, showered, dressed, and am REALLY ready for breakfast. I can't imagine us ever traveling in an RV, which is something she's hinted at wanting to try.

Anyone else with this first world problem?
Make an appointment with your family doctor and go together. She might be suffering from a medical condition and might need to be referred to a sleep doctor. I have a friend who's wife sleeps like that, and he has also told me she is taking medication for depression and has sleep apnea. She sleeps using a C-PAP machine for this, and this has caused them to sleep in separate bedrooms because the sound of her using the C-PAP disturb his sleep.

The idea of you suffering like this isn't good. While she might need to sleep that long, we don't know yet until you take her to a doctor, you shouldn't be forced to sleep early or wake up at 4 AM for no reason. I don't like the idea of you being stuck in the hotel bathroom for 2-3 hours, that's not fair.

Old 01-13-2024, 10:27 AM

20,213 posts, read 9,128,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I retired 2 years ago, but my spouse still wants to work a few more years, until we are empty nesters. At that time, we want to begin traveling again, like we did before we had kids, only more often and with longer durations. One of the problems that I anticipate is that my spouse could sleep all day if I let her. I, unfortunately, need only 6 hours of sleep before I'm awake.

She starts getting ready for bed right after 9pm, and it's usually lights out by 9:30. . . 10 at the latest. I think that it's important to go to bed at the same time as she does, but unfortunately this results in me being up by 4 or 5am. When we are at home on the weekend, it's not a problem. I putter around the living area of the house, have breakfast, check my email, read the daily news, maybe watch a TV show, and of course catch up on City-Data. I'll usually go in to the bedroom and wake her up at 8 or 9am.

Anyone else with this first world problem?
think differently. I go to bed when I'm tired, not dependent on wife's clock. You've created your own first world problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement