Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 09:32 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times

Advertisements

Is your eyesight getting worse in your old age?

Maybe high-tech and capitalism are here to help you.

https://newatlas.com/wearables/vixio...-eye-glasses/?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 10:13 AM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Most seniors will not bother with that...

Old 01-09-2024, 10:42 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
My night vision is pretty well gone now. Day is okay with glasses, but that's been true my whole life.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:44 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Most seniors will not bother with that...
I agree.

However, I am at the end of the Boomers. With a huge mob of boomers slowly aging in front of me. Our medical industry has been taking huge leaps in advancements. Joint replacements that used to require six months of recuperation and physical therapy.

This set of adjustable glasses is something that I find interesting. Not this exact pair, but as this technology develops. Imagine what will be available ten years from now.

A few years ago, I was reading about an invention of reading glasses with an adjustable focal-length. They had a tiny knob at the temple, that a wearer could adjust to meet whatever your eyes needed. But with this pair that I am sharing the adjustment is done by its computer.

That is neat

Old 01-09-2024, 11:04 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree.

However, I am at the end of the Boomers. With a huge mob of boomers slowly aging in front of me. Our medical industry has been taking huge leaps in advancements. Joint replacements that used to require six months of recuperation and physical therapy.

This set of adjustable glasses is something that I find interesting. Not this exact pair, but as this technology develops. Imagine what will be available ten years from now.

A few years ago, I was reading about an invention of reading glasses with an adjustable focal-length. They had a tiny knob at the temple, that a wearer could adjust to meet whatever your eyes needed. But with this pair that I am sharing the adjustment is done by its computer.

That is neat
I am also at the end of the Boomers and my eyesight has gone from perfect to awful over the course of about 15 years.

I'm just waiting for the day that I can have cataract surgery and have the lens implants. That's all I need. No more glasses!

Old 01-09-2024, 11:13 AM

130,545 posts, read 12,143,244 times
I go to get my eyes tested 3 or 4 times a year due to glaucoma ( under control) I see no need for adjustable glasses, if my current ones no longer work well, I can buy a new pair, pretty cheap,

Old 01-09-2024, 11:14 AM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

I'm just waiting for the day that I can have cataract surgery and have the lens implants. That's all I need. No more glasses!
Maybe.

Cataract surgery does not correct all vision to 20/20.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:48 AM

45,456 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Maybe.

Cataract surgery does not correct all vision to 20/20.
A lot of times pretty close, but you have to get the top of the line lenses (if I remember there are three levels). Mrs. NBP had the surgery right before Covid hit and, except for low power cheater glasses (1.0) for very small up close things) she is glasses free. She'd had to wear them since she was six.

I started to notice my close in vision going in my late forties, so twenty or so years ago. I use cheaters for reading but my distance vision is still good enough that I'm the only one in my duck hunting group who can see duck heads bobbing up and down 300 yards away.

Old 01-09-2024, 01:09 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,045,569 times
I have always cared a lot about my vision because my career depended on it, am retired prof. photographer, worked before autofocus cameras were a thing.

I had Lasik (age 30 to 60-something) then had cataract surgery and got distance vision implants. Great doctors both times
My advice--get the very best doctor with the best training at top school, using best equipment
I happily do 90% of our driving, husband is 76 and his night vision is poor (he had cataracts removed--no need for implants)

Old 01-09-2024, 01:14 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree.

That is neat
don't.
only for nearsightedness.
I bought 2 pairs from TEMU, Went into trash bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement