Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 02:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

OK so here's what I've done: I put in my two week notice at work and yesterday was my last day. I slept in today which was my plan. Now I am putting away Christmas stuff which is all over my house right now. I plan to move from Texas to Ohio (Cincinnati/Dayton area) later this year. My realtor is coming out to my house Tuesday to give me a game plan and a price. I don't have to sell to buy a new house, and I am downsizing again. I plan to go to Ohio the second week of February to scope out areas and yes, I know it will be cold and probably at its worst that time of year, which is why I am going there then (even though I'm familiar with it during that time of year, having lived there and having many relatives there). I have lived in NE Texas now for 30 years so pardon me for being a bit overwhelmed but I am! I hardly know where to start! Oh, and I downsized two years ago and moved, and basically bought this house right before real estate went crazy so I feel OK about the price, but I am officially overwhelmed about moving and being retired. I live alone. My kids recently moved to Ohio and bought a house there and I really have no one here and nothing keeping me here other than inertia.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 02:36 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
I don't have any advice, but it sounds like you are doing the right thing by moving closer to family. I wish you the best, Kathryn.

And congratulations on your retirement!!!

Old 01-06-2024, 02:55 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
First, congrats on your first day of retirement.

Second, slow down and relax a bit. There is no rush. Real estate prices are not going up in Ohio. Texas is still a "hot" real estate market compared to most, so there's no big incentive to rush the sale of the current home.

Personally I don't think it's a great idea to move to another area far from your current home base and buy real estate right away, especially as a single person household. Maybe put the bulk of your household things in a storage unit or PODS storage box(es). Go find a 6 month to 1 year lease on an apartment or other rental somewhere in SW Ohio, which is pretty easy to find. This is not such a high demand market, and there is no shortage of rentals available and prices are very reasonable. There are plenty of newer properties that are pretty good. Use the first 6 to 12 months to learn the new area well and find your exact long-term landing place. I've been here about 3 months and am just getting a good feel for the general area.

Old 01-06-2024, 02:57 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I've never been to Cincinnati but I think it might be fun to live in a central downtown condo or apartment where you have easy access to public transportation, restaurants, shopping, etc.

I'm sure it will be nice to be near your kids and it's great that you have lived in OH before and have lots of other relatives there so you aren't exactly going into this blind.

I think the trip you're taking in early February to scope out the area is a great idea. It'll give you a chance to explore your options. You might even look at some of the active adult communities that have activities and social opportunities.

Maybe ask some of your relatives that live there what they would recommend. Congratulations on pulling the trigger and officially retiring! I look forward to hearing about all of your adventures in the Cincinnati area!

Old 01-06-2024, 03:01 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
You're doing fine. My story was similar to yours but I bought my new home before retiring. I retired 3 years ago at the end of February and moved to KY on the Ohio River June 1st. March through May was a whirlwind with selling my house, getting rid of things, arranging moving what I was keeping and making all other arrangements. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to get my elderly cat from CA to KY, but it all worked out. It will be fine for you too.
By coincidence, a co-worker and friend of mine from CA moved to a city named Middletown Ohio, also between Cincinnati and Dayton a year after I moved.
I'm not one to delay things I want to do and I cut all ties to CA other than having relatives still there. I wanted to move, get it done and start my retirement life in my new place. It seems overwhelming doing this as a single person, but you'll get through it and I'm certain be happier in the long run.

Last edited by marino760; 01-06-2024 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-06-2024, 03:21 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Advice, yes.

Take it 1 step at a time, have some wine and know it will all work out great. Good to have kids there that can help hopefully.

You are smart enough that you will do fine.

And hopefully you have a good Ohio Realtor recommended to you that will work in your best interests.

Old 01-06-2024, 03:28 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
Ditto recycle's Post and others who have been considering a move on this Forum, rent first, scope out the area first.

Prayer first (for me), then DAlLY list. At the end of the day, a cup of tea, see what you've accomplished, the next priority. Marie Kondo, (author Spark Joy what items bring you joy, limit? 4-5 items) suggests organizing by subject, ie books, clothes. New idea for me, usually room by room.

A dear friend was a comfort/help to me, letting go of my wardrobe. Shocked, I told her let go of all discarded items except 2 ! Friends are vital to me, Posters on City Data most caring, helpful.

Breathe ! ,Kathryn, you did this before you'll do it again ! Keep us updated, Post !
Congratulations on your retirement. Prayers for your new journey. One moment, day at a time.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:07 PM

3,086 posts, read 2,215,292 times
Recycled gave you very good advice. We lived in Cincinnati for quite some time, so have a fair idea of the variations in the neighborhoods. It will be worth it for you to rent and get a closer look, see what you like.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:26 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times
Texas to Ohio, nothing like jumping from the frying pan onto an iceberg. Congratulations on your
retirement. Best wishes for you.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:39 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
I had family in Vandalia, which is a suburb of Dayton. When I visited, I was impressed with how clean, peaceful & orderly it was, & I was amazed by the low real estate prices. That is my complete knowledge of Ohio, but that might be a place of interest for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement