Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 01:46 PM

19,850 posts, read 9,412,312 times

Advertisements

My holiday season was the most dull I have had in my entire life, but at least it wasn't bad. Just very, VERY "blah" with absolutely no snow since November and December temps here averaging about 40. None of my friends felt like getting together, and my family lives out of state, so no socializing for us at all for the past two months. I am frankly glad to have the holiday season over with.

And all of 2023 was depressing for me, too. It seemed like nothing but bad news in the U.S. and world all year long -- and I don't expect 2024 to be any better. (But at least my husband and I are still in good health, we are together, and we are still able to pay our bills, so we are sincerely grateful for that, at least.)

I guess I am just feeling "down".

I hope your holiday season and your year was better than mine, and I wish ALL of you a very Happy 2024!!

Last edited by katharsis; 12-31-2023 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 03:06 PM

8,784 posts, read 5,085,584 times
We decorated inside with lots of lights, christmas tree, and snuggle in. No crazy shopping malls for us. The few things we bought were on Amazon. We only sent three cards out. We recieved many from neices and nephews, with pictures of their kids....they are young and into it.
Other then Christmas, 2023 was depressing. [mod cut - politics]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 12-31-2023 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-31-2023, 03:23 PM
JRR

8,173 posts, read 5,681,763 times
Quiet holiday season for just the two of us but it isn't as if we really dislike the quiet.

2023 was OK. Grateful for the comfortable life we have and that my wife's medical condition is very slowly but steadily improving. Still holding out hope for the Alaska trip in September.

The worst thing for me in 2023 was how politics just permeates everything. People just can't seem to let go even for a minute. I swear that if the subject was a preference for bacon and eggs or pancakes for breakfast, there would have to be a political reference involved.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,817,139 times
Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out, on YouTube, first sung by Bessie Smith. This song came to mind, when I read the title of this Thread. Also, Accentuate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative !

Thought a party Kathy with all your Cheeseheads. Cook up some Hoppin' John or fondue, Cheese ! When I think of others, do for them, a telephone call, usually feel better.

That's Life, Frank Sinatra, I pick myself up, dust myself off, get back in the race....

So easy to say, had a sudden health issue (still clucking !), missed 1 Sunday, 2 weeks ago, a dear friend, called the next day, "Where you there; were are you ? " Been checking on me ever since ! Large congregation too !

Vince Lombardi state too; Granddad born in Madison, WI,....1873 !

Special too Kathy, a City-Data Poster !

Helpful, wise, caring Posters, any other suggestions, thoughts ?

Old 12-31-2023, 03:41 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,042,164 times
This holiday break was pretty nice! I got more done than I usually did, primarily because I have pretty much given up on OLD, and while there is a lot I haven't done, I am not that much at despair about it. Further, yesterday, I got to help an old friend move and it brought out the qualities of myself I adore best, of being angelic and "What are friends for?".

Of course, it is not perfect in that I wonder about my solitary existence but then again, the ranch is the best fit for that kind of life.

Did forget to cook a turkey for Christmas Day.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:57 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,767,063 times
We had a very good Christmas with Christmas Eve dinner at our house with our son, DIL, two grandkids, and my MIL. The grandkids are 15 and 11 now and MIL is 93! Everyone is in good health. We went to our son’s house Christmas morning for breakfast, coffee and lots of thoughtful gifts. We are enjoying the Christmases together while they last.

It’s been a good year with DH deciding to not renew his three day a week contract work and fully retire now at the end of December.

Here’s to a good 2024 for everyone!

Old 12-31-2023, 05:40 PM

17,422 posts, read 16,590,828 times
We really didn't too much because we had a cold virus (flu) go through the house. It seems as though one of us has been a bit under the weather/fighting a bug for the past 3 weeks - nothing too horrible, thankfully. So we haven't done the light drives and other festivities that we would have otherwise done.

We did do a great job of decorating the house both inside and outside and we've been enjoying each other's company while it's still just the 4 of us.

Happy New Year everyone! 2023 was a productive year. We've gotten a lot done around the house which we feel good about. 2024 is shaping up to be more fun.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:58 PM

23,361 posts, read 18,968,084 times
In general, the holiday season has been relaxed and fairly peaceful. No travel plans disrupted, just nice phone chats with distant friends and relatives instead. Beautiful snowy weather, wildlife moving closer in and all that. Except for the neighborhood's frickin' snowmachiners. Another kid seems to get a new one every year. My property provides a bit of sanctuary from those. I've warned the neighbors against setting one inch of any machine over the property line, but that doesn't address the noise. At least the daylight hours when they're more likely to be revving around annoying everything are short!

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-31-2023 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-31-2023, 06:42 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,234,653 times
Not dull but atypical. We are finishing out a 4 week long trip from Utah - Nevada - Arizona - NM - West Texas, visiting, among others, Pichaco Peak state park (AZ), Saguaro national park, Chiricahua National Monument (AZ), Whitewater Draw bird sanctuary, and Big Bend national park with our camper. Big Bend, for those who have not visited but like to visit NPs, is wonderful. We stayed in a (reserved) boon-dock location where the nearest other human beings were miles away. Our Christmas special was a 13 mile in Chisos mountains. We did extensive hiking - some even on the driving days.

As I am still working, we had Starlink and great internet throughout. So, I could do my meetings and some work when I needed to. This is what made the trip possible for both of us.

This isn’t everyone’s idea of the holiday season but it is ours. Our idea of happiness is to be outdoors and physically active for good part of the day. And, we are very happy, if tired, with how it has worked out so far. We get back home in 2 days - rejuvenated to start the new year and what it might bring…

Last edited by kavm; 12-31-2023 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-31-2023, 06:45 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
Our Christmas was more in November than December. We went to our great granddaughter's two year old birthday party which turned out a celebration for her, her cousin also had a birthday that day and her uncle also plus it was my daughter's and her husband's anniversary. It was a blast at my granddaughter's home. Disney theme and even a one month old first cousin of hers was dressed the part. Talk about cute children!

The two year old great granddaughter is learning to say please and thank you and uses every excuse to do so. It is great when several good families gets together to party.

Came home on Monday and had just a few days until our our son arrived with his wife and four children for Thanksgiving. His children range in age from 7-17. We were properly tired out when they went home. Love our grandchildren though. We are just getting old. A week before Christmas my husband turned 81 and I am now 78.

I had health issues that made me need to stay close to my doctor until my heart was checked again in October so we had not used our timeshare points so we had booked two weeks starting December 3 --December 17th, one week in Myrtle Beach and the next week in North Myrtle Beach. On Tuesday before we left my husband fell through the back door and was told to stay off his right leg. That meant that I got to take care of all the suitcases and do all the driving but luckily the beach is only a few hours away from where we live.

We had beachfront condos in both locations and got groceries with much soup since it was cold and we enjoyed two weeks of watching the ocean and doing nothing but one Christmas show. Our son had a work project cancel and came down to be with us a few days.

We came home with a virus and have been hanging out since. Our daughter was supposed to visit us with our granddaughter and her two children but they got sniffles too and my daughter took care of the children because their parents had been exposed to covid. We all decided we didn't want to share illnesses.

Needless to say I am hoping for a good 2024. All this hanging out has renewed my spirit. Tomorrow we will hit the gym and aquatic center. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Last edited by NCN; 12-31-2023 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement