Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 11:57 AM

863 posts, read 795,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
A "side gig" that pays $140,000 is extremely rare. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...
Agreed, most people on here probably didn't make that much working full time in their regular jobs.

Only the OP knows what they need, how they live and want to live, and what that will require. It sounds to me like they can easily afford to retire and enjoy life. Debt free, for the most part, with no mortgage. Seems to me the perfect opportunity to go do what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 12:23 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Agreed, most people on here probably didn't make that much working full time in their regular jobs.

Only the OP knows what they need, how they live and want to live, and what that will require. It sounds to me like they can easily afford to retire and enjoy life. Debt free, for the most part, with no mortgage. Seems to me the perfect opportunity to go do what they want.

Right. You don't see me asking for other people's opinions on my plan. OP is asking for opinions. I get sick of getting scolded on here for proffering my opinions.

Old 12-25-2023, 12:29 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Right. You don't see me asking for other people's opinions on my plan. OP is asking for opinions. I get sick of getting scolded on here for proffering my opinions.
which is why i never give one on one advice . i dont know enough about anyone .

i will only comment on flaws in their thinking or things they missed and bring up points they may want to consider or reconsider

Old 12-25-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
which is why i never give one on one advice . i dont know enough about anyone .

i will only comment on flaws in their thinking or things they missed and bring up points they may want to consider or reconsider

It's not advice; it's my opinion. If it invokes another line of thinking or, in this case, agrees with OP's own thought then that's okay.

The actual Title of the post is " Retirement Income and Budget Plans - Critique? Advice?" because he wants to know what other people think.

Stop trying to censure me (all of you).

Give OP enough credit to be able to separate the wheat from the chafe and take what he wants and throw the rest out.

Who the F are you all defending? And, from what?

Old 12-25-2023, 12:55 PM

i don’t give answers to these kinds of questions …. i will address flaws in thinking but i can’t say what is enough for anyone else .

heck i can’t even say what’s good for us ….things can change in life and what one thought adequate may be inadequate if situations change.

if i take the fact we are now 8 years in to retirement with 8 years of life less and throw it in to firecalc , it says we can spend another 60k a year then we are .

but with uncertainty about life and all the unexpected spending that can come with kids and grandkids we don’t even consider that increase an option

Old 12-25-2023, 12:59 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,666,585 times
Someone mentioned the cash flow under all 3 circumstances (she's alive, he's alive, both alive). Great advice. Along those lines, check out your wife claiming SS at 62 and you waiting till 70. That maximizes the biggest SS check, and that's the one you get as soon as one of you dies.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
i don’t give answers to these kinds of questions …. i will address flaws in thinking but i can’t say what is enough for anyone else .

heck i can’t even say what’s good for us ….things can change in life and what one thought adequate may be inadequate if situations change.

if i take the fact we are now 8 years in to retirement with 8 years of life less and throw it in to firecalc , it says we can spend another 60k a year then we are .

but with uncertainty about life and all the unexpected spending that can come with kids and grandkids we don’t even consider that increase an option

The guy has very little cash. His idea to work his side gig longer and delay SS is a reasonable reaction to his own situation. You have somewhere between $7-$10 million. I'd say unless you massively screw up (which is unlikely considering your considerable attention to your money) at $160k spending per year you are certainly going to far outlive your money. You're actually too far away from his situation to even relate. I mean if you consider reality.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The guy has very little cash. His idea to work his side gig longer and delay SS is a reasonable reaction to his own situation. You have somewhere between $7-$10 million. I'd say unless you massively screw up (which is unlikely considering your considerable attention to your money) at $160k spending per year you are certainly going to far outlive your money. You're actually too far away from his situation to even relate. I mean if you consider reality.
i never said how much we have. and no it isn’t 7-10 million ..especially after paying taxes on it

Old 12-25-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
i never said how much we have. and no it isn’t 7-10 million ..especially after paying taxes on it
At least 7 million before taxes... No one is talking after tax amounts on all these posts for the most part.

Old 12-25-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
At least 7 million before taxes... No one is talking after tax amounts on all these posts for the most part.
You were taking $160k whether you were working or not. You say you can take $60k more. Just doing basic math you can see that it takes $5.5 million to throw off $220k at 4%. I probably did math like that at some point in the past that had me have in mind the amount you were likely working with. I still think it is $7 million (likely from other info you posted).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement