Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 07:03 PM

3,289 posts, read 1,423,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are rules for these policies and it is not necessarily intuitive as to how they work. There is a time frame during which claims need to be made - know the rules. There is also often a stretch of time before the policies need to be activated but they still need assistance in making sure that they are paid for. They forget to pay them or are overwhelmed by the increases and let them lapse.....
Thank you for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 08:41 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,533,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Everything you say makes sense. We are almost exactly in the same place you are---age, ability to self insure. Even the policy we had, had terms that were close to what you described above. I agree your policy is worthwhile. I would have preferred to keep ours as I am pretty risk adverse, but for us, the cost and uncertainty about future rates got to be too much. Hopefully, the end for both of us is a long way off, but when it happens, it will be quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you! All the best to you and your spouse as well. This is an insurance I’d be happy not collecting on.
I imagine that the cost of LTCi will minimally track inflation + the cost of scarce labor + facility cost for us Boomers who need facility care. Our LTCi has increased ~4x original cost since 2001, which includes a 30% benefit reduction on me.
We cared for 4 family members to their passing at home; 2 members would have qualified for LTC were we able to afford it and if they wanted it. I cared for my mother for 10 years, and the last 5 years practically 24/7. Not my proudest time. There is a whole forum on CD for this and as I have seen, other forums within forums for caring for family members.

YLTCMV

Old 12-16-2023, 09:53 PM

6,038 posts, read 3,754,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
My friend, the gentleman you are addressing is NEVER going to acknowledge that you may have thought through the situation completely, sensibly, rationally, and made a decision that is consistent with your risk profile, net worth, and your expectation of the future. In fairness, he is clearly knowledgeable, and his advice is not without merit. Unfortunately, he doesn’t understand that people are not going to be receptive to anything he says if he can’t say it without sounding so judgmental and dismissive of other people’s decisions.

Can't "rep" you again (yet), but you nailed it.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:40 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,533,882 times
FYI
In the State of Washington, All, W2 employees, pay a payroll tax on gross of 0.6 of 1% towards LTCi. Mandatory under Washington 's CARES ACT. Some exceptions: Self purchased or existing LTCi. DS (36) bought a life insurance with LTCi rider (I don't understand it) because it is portable but more expensive than the state's plan. DIL 's company is picking up the cost but there may be a federal tax on this (Haven't inquired). They cannot buy standalone LTCi from a insurance company, because the minimum under-righting age= 40. State's Coverage is non inflationary $36,000.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:05 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,666,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There are rules for these policies and it is not necessarily intuitive as to how they work. There is a time frame during which claims need to be made - know the rules. There is also often a stretch of time before the policies need to be activated but they still need assistance in making sure that they are paid for. They forget to pay them or are overwhelmed by the increases and let them lapse.....
On my LTC if they don't receive my payment(hasn't happened), they contact my sister. They send me a form every year asking if I still want her as my contact or to change to someone else.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:08 AM

106,768 posts, read 108,973,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
On my LTC if they don't receive my payment(hasn't happened), they contact my sister. They send me a form every year asking if I still want her as my contact or to change to someone else.
same , it goes to my son if my wife or i don’t make payments.

if we are using benefits then no premiums are due

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-17-2023 at 03:16 AM..

Old 12-17-2023, 07:29 AM

47 posts, read 47,226 times
Genworth did the very same thing on life insurance. I called to ask why and the very honest rep I spoke to admitted they are looking to get out of the life insurance business.
I let it lapse since I originally obtained this policy when my kids were babies, just in case, for college costs. My youngest is graduating from college this spring, so I don't need the policy so much that I am willing to pay their now outrageous premiums. This went above and beyond increases because I am older.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:51 AM

106,768 posts, read 108,973,015 times
i have a met life universal life policy that has been running on its own cash value for decades .

universal life unlike whole life has insurance costs internally go up huge amounts as you pass certain age milestones.

it has now escalated to the point the 20k cash value it once had will be totally eaten up by the internal insurance costs in a year or two.

it will be allowed to elapse by me … the premium jumps in universal life become to great as you get older and older to keep it

Old 12-17-2023, 10:35 AM

17,408 posts, read 16,560,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Yes, the policies have the contact safeguard. The only problem is when the contact suffers a cognitive decline or predeceases the policy holder. Also, the premiums are not cheap so the contact would need to have a way to pay the bill if you don't.

What often happens is that the policyholder will see the rise in the premium, decide that they no longer need the policy and cancel it. The contact isn't notified to my knowledge. So when a qualifying medical event happens that would trigger the policy - it is no longer in place. It sounds like something you would never do but old people (that includes our future elderly selves) do this stuff.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:58 AM

3,289 posts, read 1,423,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenliny View Post
Genworth did the very same thing on life insurance. I called to ask why and the very honest rep I spoke to admitted they are looking to get out of the life insurance business.
I let it lapse since I originally obtained this policy when my kids were babies, just in case, for college costs. My youngest is graduating from college this spring, so I don't need the policy so much that I am willing to pay their now outrageous premiums. This went above and beyond increases because I am older.
That's interesting. I did not even know Genworth was in the Life Insurance game. I wonder what their long term plans are given they appear to be shedding policies on both the life and the LTC sides of their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement