Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 10:06 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times

Advertisements

Robert is akin to that Peter what's his name, Schiff?
They always come around when gold goes up, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a back-up plan; such as gold IRA's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 10:18 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
voya too was decent with fidelity and vanguard low cost funds.

we went with voya because administrative fees were less then when we used fidelity for our 401k
So, what was the administrative fees? Who paid?

Old 12-04-2023, 11:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Quote:
that’s just it , once any is out to live on , it’s fair game .

so it is protected only as long as it’s not used ….courts have also ruled inherited ira’s and inherited retirement money is not protected so it really is of limited value with rmds
We dont need to use his 401k so in the event it gets tied up it won’t be a hardship. We haven’t started RMDs or touched my IRA or his 401k yet. With SS and DH’s pension there’s been no need. His contract work has been for fun money and savings. He should have put some into an available 401k with the contract company, but he didn’t expect it to last this long. His contract is up at the end of December and he’s hoping it’s not renewed. It’s hard to stop an easy gig with flexibility and good money.

We are not into big risks with investments and tend to be moderate. I choose high risk plans with my 401k early on while working. I saw huge returns and loved it, but one big downturn with a huge loss made me totally middle of the road again. We like easy with moderate increases and moderate risk.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-04-2023 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-04-2023, 11:20 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
depends on the plan .

some have the company pay all of them . it can run 10k a year for a custodian if the plan is under a million in it and more if over .

some plains have the participants pay it or a portion , some charge a flat yearly fee to participants or a percentage of your account.

fidelity was cheaper when our plan had under a million , but the company got a better deal from voya as it grew larger and many millions

Old 12-04-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We dont need to use his 401k so in the event it gets tied up it won’t be a hardship. We haven’t started RMDs or touched my IRA or his 401k yet. With SS and DH’s pension there’s been no need. His contract work has been for fun money and savings. He should have put some into an available 401k with the contract company, but he didn’t expect it to last this long. Hid contract is up in December and he’s hoping it’s not renewed. It’s hard to stop an easy gig with flexibility and good money.

We are not into big risks with investments and tend to be moderate. I choose high risk plans with my 401k early on while working. I saw huge returns and loved it, but one big downturn with a huge loss made me totally middle of the road again. We like easy and moderate increases with moderate risk..
we were always 100% equities until pre retirement.

now we are 50% equities/ 40% bonds /10% cash

Old 12-04-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
401K's are junk because employers should ideally provide a pension IMO.

But what do I know, I am just a little worker.
then workers would whine their compensation via pay was less because they are getting a pension they may not ever collect

Old 12-04-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
depends on the plan .

some have the company pay all of them . it can run 10k a year for a custodian if the plan is under a million in it and more if over .

some plains have the participants pay it or a portion , either a flat yearly fee or a percentage of your account
Ballpark, 'bout 0.7% - 1.% for small plans <~$1mil plus the individual fund (smallish) fee ?

Old 12-04-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Ballpark, 'bout 0.7% - 1.% for small plans <~$1mil plus the individual fund (smallish) fee ?
this is why when our old company had financial problems they had to close the 401k …at that point they couldn’t afford to find another custodian so it was turned over by the custodian to the courts .

then the courts had to appoint one

Old 12-04-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
this is why when our old company had financial problems they had to close the 401k …at that point they couldn’t afford to find another custodian so it was turned over by the custodian to the courts .

then the courts had to appoint one
What??
Then, did the fees go up? The admin fees then went up? and taken out of 401k pool?

Old 12-04-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
What??
Then, did the fees go up? The admin fees then went up? and taken out of 401k pool?
we rolled the money into our ira’s or the employees took the money once the custodian could distribute it .there was no more plan .

not sure if there were fees from the court appointed custodian and or who paid them .

all i know is we were thrilled to get our money out finally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement