Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 08:46 PM

249 posts, read 123,993 times

Advertisements

If you can manage tuna despite not liking fish, you might want to try filet of sole or flounder. You can bake or broil it with lemon and herbs, and it's very light tasting -- not at all fishy.

If you don't like beans or your body's reaction to them, you might want to try roasting seasoned chickpeas and eating them hot and crispy fresh out of the oven. You can season them with anything you like. You can even sprinkle nutritional yeast on them.

Hummus is also an easy and delicious way to eat beans. And falafel. Two staples of the Mediterranean diet.

I don't know how you feel about peas, but they are surprisingly a good plant source of protein.

Nuts and nut butters, especially almonds and walnuts, are an excellent source of protein, and they have lots of other health benefits too. The healthiest (but not the best tasting, unfortunately) are the least processed, meaning raw (not roasted) and unsalted.

Lastly, there's something called Soy Curls, which are single ingredient dried soybeans. Super high protein, super low amount of processing, and very versatile.

I believe in eating foods with few simple and natural ingredients, which includes lots of organic fruit and veggies (heavily seasoned and roasted), raw nuts and seeds, unsweetened almond milk, coconut sugar instead of refined sugar in my tea and coffee, beans, whole wheat pasta with crushed tomatoes or garlic & oil, Ezekiel breads with raw almond butter, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 12:39 AM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
My BMI is currently 21.8 so very good. I eat healthy (for me) and exercise more days than not. The nutrition basics I believe are:
- Eat foods that consist of 1 ingredient (no processed foods)
- Keto
- Intermittent Fasting
- Healthy fats (Virgin olive oil, MCT & coconut oil, avocados)
- Minimize alcohol - this is a tough one for me because I do like wine so I regulate the amount
- I eat meat but I wouldn't say as much as most Americans. I eat dairy but try to eat grass fed and seafood (not farmed)
- Regular exercise

About nutritional yeast, yeah I think it's good and occasionally use it, will likely be getting some soon.

Old 11-30-2023, 01:15 AM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Instead of suffering you can buy tablets and swallow them. I used to drink electrolyte powder and then I found a better formulation that is in capsule form so I don't have to gag it down.

Here's the nutritional yeast -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076B24P1W...dr+berg%27s+nu

Old 11-30-2023, 06:42 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
All this talk of healthy living in retirement and I strive to live like Grandpa Gustafson from the movie Grumpy Old Men when I retire, lol.

"Every morning, I wake up, and I smoke a cigarette. And then I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich. And for a midday snack? Bacon. Bacon! A whole damn plate! And I usually drink my dinner."

Old 11-30-2023, 07:48 AM

306 posts, read 195,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
All this talk of healthy living in retirement and I strive to live like Grandpa Gustafson from the movie Grumpy Old Men when I retire, lol.

"Every morning, I wake up, and I smoke a cigarette. And then I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich. And for a midday snack? Bacon. Bacon! A whole damn plate! And I usually drink my dinner."
I'd rather die at 75 eating whatever I wanted than live to 100 eating grass.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
100% agree

Old 11-30-2023, 08:06 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Generally speaking, I like healthy foods.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-30-2023, 08:14 AM

8,369 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
If you can manage tuna despite not liking fish, you might want to try filet of sole or flounder. You can bake or broil it with lemon and herbs, and it's very light tasting -- not at all fishy.

If you don't like beans or your body's reaction to them, you might want to try roasting seasoned chickpeas and eating them hot and crispy fresh out of the oven. You can season them with anything you like. You can even sprinkle nutritional yeast on them.

Hummus is also an easy and delicious way to eat beans. And falafel. Two staples of the Mediterranean diet.

I don't know how you feel about peas, but they are surprisingly a good plant source of protein.

Nuts and nut butters, especially almonds and walnuts, are an excellent source of protein, and they have lots of other health benefits too. The healthiest (but not the best tasting, unfortunately) are the least processed, meaning raw (not roasted) and unsalted.

Lastly, there's something called Soy Curls, which are single ingredient dried soybeans. Super high protein, super low amount of processing, and very versatile.

I believe in eating foods with few simple and natural ingredients, which includes lots of organic fruit and veggies (heavily seasoned and roasted), raw nuts and seeds, unsweetened almond milk, coconut sugar instead of refined sugar in my tea and coffee, beans, whole wheat pasta with crushed tomatoes or garlic & oil, Ezekiel breads with raw almond butter, etc.
You are vastly overestimating my cooking ambition :-). In 23 and 15 years, respectively, I have never used the oven in either of my condos (or rather, I use it as a storage space. There are teas, spices and pasta in it in Boston, and books in SF :-). The only thing I do with food that involves a stove is boil it. Hummus yes, I eat that from time to time, but it has a lot of sodium. I have abandoned zero sodium (because it is conceivable that I drove myself into hyponatremia - I don't know, haven't checked - which might have contributed to ectopic heartbeats that I had after the 2nd and 3rd dose Covid vaccine, and on a few later occasions when I had fever or didn't sleep at night) - so, I do eat some food with sodium now. Even high sodium like hummus, but I still do it sparingly (I am still hoping to be able to drive my diastolic blood pressure to 60 with nutritional changes only). I did use to eat Ezekiel bread (from Trader Joes), but the loaf had mold in it so often that I got so annoyed with having to throw it out so frequently that I just stopped buying it.

I do eat raw nuts and drink a lot of almond milk, but neither of them (with nuts in reasonable amounts) have enough protein for my apparent daily needs (since I remain hungry). I also eat peas, and they do have protein, but somehow nevertheless leave me hungry too... I'll try them with this new discovery of nutritional yeast! I eat in general a ton of vegetables of all kinds, but I really needed some other protein solution in addition to tofu which has gotten horrendously monotonous, being THE staple of my nutrition.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:19 AM

8,369 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
Oh I'd definitely rather eat grass if that keeps me healthy til 100 :-). In fact, I got used to eating grass to the point that now grass is all I want to eat!

Old 11-30-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Oh I'd definitely rather eat grass if that keeps me healthy til 100 :-). In fact, I got used to eating grass to the point that now grass is all I want to eat!
My question is why would you want to live to 100? My great aunt is 98, her mind is all there, she was a farmers wife and was active her whole life and has never had any medical issues. Her body is so full of pain she can barely get around now and has watched all her friends, her husband, and one of her sons pass away. To me, that is a miserable way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement