Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 12:59 PM

130,624 posts, read 12,166,919 times

Advertisements

The walk to pick up is annoying, we met a friend for a birthday dinner in San Francisco, we were staying in an hotel. After dinner I called uber & got the option of 2 pick up points, one at each end of the block. I picked one, & we walked to the end of the block, but when we got there, we realized we were at the wrong cross street, so had to walk back down to the other end of the block. As visitors we were not familiar with the cross streets, it was hard to know which to pick. While we were walking to the other end of the block, the driver texted he was leaving, so I texted back & said we still walking to your location, so he came back.

Old 10-15-2023, 01:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Use Lyft.
My preference too, but I imagine CA has a lot of Nanny Rules that affect an control ride services.

San Diego is pretty easy to navigate via e-bikes too.

Old 10-15-2023, 01:44 PM

88,677 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Neither have I. I looked into it once when weighing the options between renting a car vs using rideshare. They lost me after I read that as part of using the service you have to upload a photo of yourself, and that both drivers and passengers are expected to rate each other within the app after the ride is over. Pass.
Can't really blame them about the photo. It's only fair. The drivers have to worry about their safety, too.

Old 10-15-2023, 01:54 PM

844 posts, read 422,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can't really blame them about the photo. It's only fair. The drivers have to worry about their safety, too.
It also keep the passengers from being rude & abusive. I've use Uber for over 10 years and I have a 5 star rating.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:05 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,323,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
It also keep the passengers from being rude & abusive. I've use Uber for over 10 years and I have a 5 star rating.
Exactly. It gives drivers an option to know who they will be dealing with and perhaps it gives customers incentive not to be obnoxious just because they can be. Someone with a poor customer rating will likely have a difficult time getting a driver.

Personally, I've always had better results using Lyft when needing a ride but it's been more than 2 years since I've used the service.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:18 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,215,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Having my photo does not tell you if I have a gun or a knife or a mental illness or . . . it might help the police catch me later but that is a bit late for safety.

I have never used it and never expect to.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:25 PM

844 posts, read 422,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Having my photo does not tell you if I have a gun or a knife or a mental illness or . . . it might help the police catch me later but that is a bit late for safety.

I have never used it and never expect to.
No but your "customer ratings" will tell the drivers a lot about you. They can decide not to pickup your fare if you have a low ratings.

Police will have a record on your ride if something happens so it's a good deterrent. It protects both you & the driver.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:10 PM

22,333 posts, read 19,282,796 times
i use uber and am very grateful such a service exists.
it is indispensible for health care appointments.

during the pandemic it was harder to get drivers, and costs went up. i am just thankful that drivers are back now. i always tip big and give good reviews. Only one bad experience in several years of using Uber, and it was easy to just "block" using that driver in the future. i am happy to support uber drivers and hope the service continues.

one of the best gifts a family can give to anyone in their family who is aging (this is the retirement section of the forum) is an account to use for uber rides, and keep money in that account. It will encourage aging people to go to their health care appointments, not skip getting medical care, and have transportation that is safe and reliable and door to door.

i had never used uber at all until my adult son came to visit during an emergency surgery that i needed. He drove me to appointments while he was here but there was a whole lot of follow up medical care needed, for after he left. He said in no uncertain terms "Mom you have to start using Uber" and he showed me how to use it, and added it to my phone and ordered me to use it for medical follow up appointments and yes was generous to foot the bill for an initial few thousand dollars. I was leery at first, but have since seen the utility of this service, and continue to self-fund it myself, even though now my health is restored.

Going to the doctor is stressful enough, i don't need the added worry of parking driving distraction and potential for accident by driving myself.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-15-2023 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-15-2023, 04:08 PM

843 posts, read 568,529 times
We just returned from traveling and used Uber 5 times combined between San Fran (4) and Las Vegas (1). We did not find the pickup points to be an inconvenience, they were nearby (less than a block) where you are when you book the ride, and they were always just at a curbside somewhere suitable for taxi pickup and where parking is not allowed so that they can pull over safely. You just need to use the map on the app to find the pickup point. I didn't notice much difference in the process than it was in the past. They are probably balancing safety with convenience. In a crowded city you should expect this, in my opinion.

For example, when we were on the LV Strip, we had to walk only about 75 yds along the strip to a cross street and were picked up along the curb only about 50 feet from the strip. In SF it was even closer.

The fares were between $8 and $13 (not including tip) which was very reasonable, the wait times were no more than 5 min, and the drivers were very good although a couple of them did not speak English fluently.

A year ago on our trip to Europe we used Uber about 4 times combined in London, Paris, and Rome (humblebrag) and had similar experiences, and fares were all <20 Euros.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 10-15-2023 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-15-2023, 04:14 PM

9,881 posts, read 7,769,638 times
We love Uber in Las Vegas, but anywhere else it's been easier for us to rent a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement