Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 04:14 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,010,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Amazing how cheap readers are. I honestly have about 15 pairs between work, cars, home. It's comical.
I probably have more than that, and they always end up doing this strange migration pattern between home/work/vehicles. Sometimes I'll need to use them at home and there's none to be found, yet there's three pairs in the truck and eight pairs scattered around at work.

I usually grab a few pairs of different magnifications every time I go the dollar store to replenish the ones that eventually go AWOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 05:09 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,212,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Keep them in my front pocket with a decent sleeve type holder.

Since I buy them by the dozen I really don't care if I only get 6 months out of them before they're done.

Amazing how cheap readers are. I honestly have about 15 pairs between work, cars, home. It's comical. My wife gets a kick out of it.

Hahaha love this

wheres the cheapest place to buy by the dozen?

Old 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM

45,381 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Hahaha love this

Wal-Mart had them 3 or 4 for $14. I haven't bought any for awhile so I don't know about now.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:35 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Hahaha love this

Dollar Tree

Old 10-12-2023, 05:39 PM

^ There's no dozen deal, they're just $1.25 a pair at my dollar store. Cheap enough that I don't care if I lose or crush them.

Old 10-12-2023, 08:54 PM

409 posts, read 157,616 times
I attached a length of paracord to the soft case that came with the glasses, and wear them around my neck that way. I volunteer at an animal shelter. The glasses are protected in the soft case, if a cat or puppy tries to nibble at them. I used paracord for durability, but you could attach a chain or a ribbon in the same way.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:17 PM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
I prop them up on top of my head when I'm not using them. I buy the pairs that run about $30 or so at Walgreens and that works pretty well with these. With ones from eye doctors that doesn't work well because the springs get loose meaning they would fall down and I'd have to regularly tighten the glasses with a small screw driver. I at one time tired the dollar store ones, but didn't like them (a lens would fall out, etc. pretty regularly and I didn't think they were as attractive as the Walgreens one. They weren't the right tightness for staying propped on top of my head either.). Many people swear by those, but I didn't like them. I always make sure to have two pairs and if I loose or break one I buy a second. Each pair typically lasts me about three years.

If playing sports (I am a tennis player) I put them in my purse in a special built in compartment in the purse for storing glasses. That means if playing sports I always bring a purse. I am still working (will be working for another two years before I retire) and work in IT which means I wear the reading glasses all day. I really need them, use 2.75 magnification. I really can't read without them. I don't have any other eye issues, so reading glasses are all I need.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:17 PM

OP, are you against a small cross-body bag? You don't have to carry a 'purse', per say.
I always have a small day pack with me if I'm out & about: wallet, glasses, chapstick, tissues, etc. Sometimes a water bottle if I'm straying far.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:30 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I have worn bi-focals for at least 30 years. I have slip over sunglasses which live in my car and a second pair by the door for when I go in someone else's car. I have bifocal computer glasses that live by my desktop computer. I have never owned a laptop.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:44 AM

816 posts, read 445,536 times
Quote:
Hahaha love this

I get them either at Costco or Amazon mostly. It usually averages to about $2-$3 each. Like the others said, you could possibly get them even cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement