Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 09:54 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

You read about these stories often enough; Americans and Britons among others heading over to France or other parts of Europe and buying "cheap" properties. Lord knows thanks to population decline and other factors there's an abundant supply.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/us-co...arc/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 01:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Well, good for them!

Me? Put simply, "My country, good or bad, is still my country.".

Old 10-11-2023, 02:03 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, good for them!

Me? Put simply, "My country, good or bad, is still my country.".
Not sure that has any relevance here.
They are still Americans and still live here half the year.
Why would you think they rejected America by having a second home elsewhere?

Old 10-11-2023, 02:25 PM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
They basically bought a major rehab property in another country and spent a good amount of time making it fit to live in. It looks like it turned out well and that they are happy with it. But that had to have cost money to accomplish, that was more than elbow grease and fresh paint.

Old 10-11-2023, 03:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not sure that has any relevance here.
They are still Americans and still live here half the year.
Why would you think they rejected America by having a second home elsewhere?
Because you have to get more than half way thru the article before you learn of their long term visas. Up to that point, there is nothing in the story to tell other wise. The way the story reads up to that point, they do sound like expatriates.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:19 PM

24,572 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Click bait!
It took them 20 years to turn a wreck into a habitable place. Please let's disregard the purchase price. You can find a shack somewhere in the middle of nowhere USA and do the same thing. But it is not interesting:>)
As far as visa is concerned - France is not my forte. Real estate is generally not a qualifier.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:44 AM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times
International snowbirds !

Each to their own interests; I enjoy travel, some choose to stay home, garden or....

Old 10-12-2023, 10:03 AM

7,119 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
They basically bought a major rehab property in another country and spent a good amount of time making it fit to live in. It looks like it turned out well and that they are happy with it. But that had to have cost money to accomplish, that was more than elbow grease and fresh paint.
In the article it states it cost between 10-12k to remodel it. My ex and I gutted much of a 1400 sq ft house and remodeled it ourselves within 4 months. I doubt it took them more than a year or two to do it considering they could only be there 6 months of the year.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:05 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Thank you for sharing. A very nice story.

The folks on this forum are too self-centered. It not your story. It is not an invitation to move to France or anything of the sort. It is a story of a couple who did something that interested them, took a chance and are happy with what they took the chance on. Good for them.

Let them do them. You do you - whatever that means. If staying home is the best, do that. No need to add superfluous comments on the story..,

Old 10-12-2023, 10:24 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In the article it states it cost between 10-12k to remodel it. My ex and I gutted much of a 1400 sq ft house and remodeled it ourselves within 4 months. I doubt it took them more than a year or two to do it considering they could only be there 6 months of the year.
Yes, but you were in USA, France like many other European countries is another matter.

Italy, France, Germany, pick one... All have tons of old or even fairly modern properties for sale that want doing up and Americans along with British are prime buyers. Once they arrive however many find renovation/remodeling projects are done very differently on the Continent.

There are tons of videos on YT by British or Americans who have purchased properties in France or Italy showcasing their renovation/rehab journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWvezeCNHEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrjDEmZPK7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sRr16K53A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7ySiDqBwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-GuUol99g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement