Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2023, 06:14 PM

746 posts, read 498,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well to be honest, I knew what was coming when I retired I knew that I had never gotten into management or gotten a degree or career. So I accept my fate as is but here's my rundown

SS $1039

Rent $829 (Subsidized $527) I pay $302 (All inclusive)
TV/phone T-Mobile $46 month (unlimited)
ACP/Lifeline (Free) 15 Gig monthly)
State Medicaid/ Medications (Free)
Bus Pass $9 (Yakima Valley Transit)
Vehicle insurance $300 (6 months)

After rent, there $174.25 a week. No eating out as I'm loaded with canned food right now.
Wow that's fantastic! I don't see this as the norm but you just got lucky

You eat canned food That's going to catch up with you someday.
$175 a wk seems a good amount to be able to afford organic healthy vegetables, wild caught tuna fish, organic lentils for soups, 100% grass fed beef, eh?

Sometimes the local hospitals have a nice cafe's which are very inexpensive. The Salad bar at the Tahoe Truckee Hospital only charges .60 cents per pound. It's not organic though so I don't eat there very often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 06:15 PM

22,033 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
You eat canned food That's going to catch up with you someday. $175 a week seems a good amount to be able to afford organic healthy vegetables, tuna fish, etc?

Sometimes the local hospitals have a nice cafe's which are very inexpensive. The Salad bar at the Tahoe Truckee Hospital only charges .60 cents per pound. It's not organic though so I don't eat there very often
LOL; no matter the thread topic or forum, it seems there's no escape from the food snobs on C-D!

Old 09-30-2023, 06:28 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,803,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
Is that car insurance at $300 for 6 months?
Yes, State Farm. What I'm debating on is if I really want to keep the van or sell it and get an ebike. Roughly it costs me $1.60 a day to insure.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:30 PM

2,118 posts, read 1,053,525 times
Quote:

What if the canned food is organic? Is it okay then?

Old 09-30-2023, 06:36 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,803,165 times
Quote:
Wow that's fantastic! I don't see this as the norm but you just got lucky
Oh yes I know I was willing to come here instead of waiting another year to 2 years down in Vancouver for housing down there.

Quote:
COPD&COVID tried but I'm still here.

Quote:
$175 a wk seems a good amount to be able to afford organic healthy vegetables, wild caught tuna fish, organic lentils for soups, 100% grass fed beef, eh?
Well I would just buy what I can afford, I spent Thursday blanching some of the vegetables I bought, the broccoli green peppers & jalapeno peppers. Tomorrow I'm going to do all my cauliflower.

Frankly I'm definitely going to need a bigger pot....

Old 09-30-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Oh yes I know I was willing to come here instead of waiting another year to 2 years down in Vancouver for housing down there.

COPD&COVID tried but I'm still here.

Well I would just buy what I can afford, I spent Thursday blanching some of the vegetables I bought, the broccoli green peppers & jalapeno peppers. Tomorrow I'm going to do all my cauliflower.

Frankly I'm definitely going to need a bigger pot....
Oh good thinking I forgot about blanching. I'd consider it but our freezer is pretty limited in space. Do you ever use a crockpot?

Old 09-30-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
What if the canned food is organic? Is it okay then?
I wasn't aware there was organic canned food that seems better. I forgot, we buy canned tuna and sometimes, every blue moon, canned refried beans

Old 09-30-2023, 06:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,799,877 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware there was organic canned food that seems better. I forgot, we buy canned tuna and sometimes, every blue moon, canned refried beans
Organic canned foods are a thing. Additionally, not all canned foods have added salt/syrup.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:24 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
Quote:
As stated, they can possibly purchase an E-Car or E-Bike. It is not necessary too expensive for people living on SS only
Or those who are lower income
Follow our lead and move out in the boondocks to save $$ yet ensure to reside near a Tourist Town paying on average, at least $5 more per hr.
Start a business if need be for a service that area might need. We found out the City doesn't require nor charge for business licenses
Another county wanted $500
It's certainly a valid suggestion to think about saving for an E-Bike or E-Car
Add a trailer onto that E-Bike and do your shopping. Many people cycle around Truckee
Work one 48 hr shift like I do, that's 6 hrs a week of exercise (commuting 3 hrs, 2x a week)
You didn't pay for the gym either (Although some get it free thru Silver Sneakers with their Medicare I hear)

Of course a cardboard box is not acceptable as a dwelling
We are talking about living on SS and now you start with job and starting a business?

Old 09-30-2023, 07:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,066,983 times
Quote:
..............................✦ DIY Solar Power if practical- Larger used Solar panels cost us $50 each since so many don't want the big ones. 5k new battery
, 6 panels cool/heat our 1400 sq ft home well enough..................
Are you off-grid??

I have 30 panels on my off-grid house and I CANNOT heat or cool my house with that set-up!!!

Care to explain how you manage to do it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement