Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 07:13 AM

4,164 posts, read 3,089,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Free WiFi. We tried that here, paid for by the Town. The business people/eateries went bat **** crazy. They didn't want it because "people willsit and stay all day and only buy a cup of coffee", so we didn't do it.

Then we had a smallish coffee shop/bakery open up (which caused the existing one to complain that they'd been promised an exclusive no competition business license. They hadn't been. This business was also the one that led the charge against the free WiFi) that offered WiFi. Then the businesses complained about the Town not installing it a couple years earlier when they opposed it.

Then they wondered why I had a bad attitude about them as an elected official.
I can understand their opposition, as I am old enough to remember when McDonald's often had a middle-aged male taking up valuable table space, reading the newspaper, smoking endless cigarettes, and drinking endless cups of coffee. Never ordering any food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 07:25 AM

2,004 posts, read 995,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Had no idea either restaurant was a big thing with senior citizens, but apparently that demographic made up a good share of customer base pre-pandemic. Post covid they just don't seem interested any longer.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/22/senior...-olive-garden/

They sure didn't poll any seniors in central Georgia

Old 09-26-2023, 07:33 AM

37,719 posts, read 46,158,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Had no idea either restaurant was a big thing with senior citizens, but apparently that demographic made up a good share of customer base pre-pandemic. Post covid they just don't seem interested any longer.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/22/senior...-olive-garden/
Neither of those places are anywhere that I like to eat. My parents loved Cracker Barrel but they are gone now. I guess “senior” must mean really up there. I don’t know anyone my age that it’s at either of those places much.

Old 09-26-2023, 07:45 AM

14,824 posts, read 8,162,985 times
I am a senior....have never eaten at either one.

Of course I enjoy cooking and don't eat out often.
When I do go it's to one or two local places....not into 'chain' restaurants...unless on vacation and desperate!

Old 09-26-2023, 08:02 AM

17,470 posts, read 16,647,402 times
We've eaten at Cracker Barrel when we've gone on trips, stopped at a hotel and their was a CB in close proximity to where we were staying. I always thought the gift shop had a certain charm about it and I liked the country decor. I can see how CBs would be more popular in some areas than others.

We've never been to one that wasn't busy. They seem to draw in travelers, as well as, the Sunday church crowd. I remember the food as being pretty good but I couldn't even tell you what we ordered. The food, itself, didn't make much of an impression on me it was the ambiance of the place that set it apart.

I'd go back if there were one closer to us.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:11 AM

22,095 posts, read 13,106,304 times
I think they're just fine. Neither the ambience nor the food nor the fact that it's a "chain" offend my sensibilities in any way. I just find the wait too long these days, even for take-out.

Old 09-26-2023, 08:12 AM

35,157 posts, read 31,453,865 times
I can't imagine someone going into a Cracker Barrel and sitting all day akin to Starbucks.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:05 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,462,795 times
I went to CB every day when driving across country to move. Liked the triple cheese sandwich and thought the place was fine for on-the-road. Never saw one in New England though.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:17 AM

22,095 posts, read 13,106,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I can't imagine someone going into a Cracker Barrel and sitting all day akin to Starbucks.
I can't imagine sitting all day in Starbucks.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:38 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,818,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Another thing that I think hurts CB is that this style of food is not that fashionable anymore.

I grew up in Tennessee eating that kind of diet. The vegetables are particularly bad - dinner was often a can of corn, peas, green beans cooked down to baby food consistency, etc. Canned corn and peas are high in sodium and flavorless. Butter and salt went into everything to cover up the lack of other seasonings. A lot of the food is overcooked and flavorless.

My girlfriend and I went to a "family style home cooking" restaurant Saturday that seemingly everyone around here raves about. Think all-you-can-eat, better Cracker Barrel type food. I've never cared for that food, but she likes it more than I do. Even still, it was B- at best - neither one of us thought it was great.

They brought like ten sides. Flavorless creamed corn. Flavorless boiled cabbage - they could sure take pointers from the local German place on cabbage. Some sort of carrot soufflé neither one of us ate. Soup beans that we didn't eat. he meatloaf had practically no tomato paste/ketchup on top - almost nothing on top at all, and it was overcooked. The fried chicken was fair at best. The best things they brought out were fresh out the fryer breaded squash, apple salad, and the mashed potatoes were pretty good.

We went to a local, very good Tex-Mex place last night, and it was a flavor explosion compared to the CB style place Saturday.

I never put any catsup or tomato product on my meatloaf. We always have it with mashed potaoes and mushroom gravy. Weird sweet tomato stuff on top is not my "slice of meatloaf".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement