Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 07:14 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,218,264 times

Advertisements

A nice piece from The Guardian with the message that aging doesn’t need to slow you down - based upon a book by Daniel Litvitin, a neuroscientist at McGill - The Changing Mind - A Neuroscientist’s guide to Aging Well - ( The Changing Mind: A Neuroscientist's Guide to Ageing Well (Amazon: https://a.co/d/jfpxWbB included for info - not to sell the book) on this topic.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...at-40-or-later

Last edited by kavm; 09-19-2023 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 07:52 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Olympics? Dressage? Sorry, it's not going to be very encouraging for me. But I like and agree with several of them from my own life experience.

Funny, by this time of my life I really don't need the confirmation from a study. Maybe it would be a better read for people in their thirties and forties. Except they may have to take the information on faith which many won't.

It seems you have to have decades of experience before you realize that caring about and striving for some things isn't worth an effort. And then, like the proverbial butterfly, satisfaction lands on your shoulder.

The gifts come when you are ready to recognize and receive them.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:12 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
A nice piece from The Guardian with the message that aging doesn’t need to slow you down - based upon a book by Daniel Litvitin, a neuroscientist at McGill - The Changing Mind - A Neuroscientist’s guide to Aging Well - ( The Changing Mind: A Neuroscientist's Guide to Ageing Well (Amazon: https://a.co/d/jfpxWbB included for info - not to sell the book) on this topic.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...at-40-or-later
Too much information which will serve no purpose. I'm all for just aging gracefully.

Old 09-19-2023, 11:34 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Too much information which will serve no purpose. I'm all for just aging gracefully.
Indeed. Hearing about a bunch of outliers is not encouraging in the least.

Old 09-19-2023, 11:43 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Well it wasn't aging that slowed me down it was the past physical stupidity of certain acts I committed in my youth that have taken me back down the pole of vitality.

And the fact that people achieve success later in life just simply means that they probably had other outlets but decided to focus on the one that got them more pleasure than anything.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:00 PM

What is interesting is that some of comments are from posters who neither looked at the article posted nor the book. The book and article are not about the outliers. For instance, the book shares insights from longitudinal Harvard study of men. But, the dismissal without bothering to find out is quite common for the forum and I am hardly surprised.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Self-esteem: 50-70
Healthy self-esteem is a key component of good mental health, and a long-term data analysis has found it climbs from adolescence onwards, peaking somewhere between 50 and 70. Interestingly, 2020 research from Japan found self-esteem continued to rise from adolescence right into old age, without the drop other studies had found. The researchers speculated this might be because people in Japan have “more humble and balanced attitudes toward themselves, not just in old age”, making peaks and steep declines less likely.
I wonder if Research from Japan is 'Worldwide', i.e. considering the number of age 50+ in the USA who were 'outsourced' might skew that response from the USA. 'Respect' for different age groups is very different in various cultures. (even respect for kids / children, of which the USA might be least).
Being nice: over 60
Research suggests older adults are more emotionally stable and less impulsive; they are better able to maintain positive relationships; and “agreeableness” increases substantially with age. Do we just become nicer? “Not everyone over 60 becomes nicer,” says Levitin. “Everyone knows that sourpuss down the street.
Stay off my LAWN!
Eighties
Happiness: 82
“Happiness may seem like a young person thing,” says Levitin. “But the surprising thing is when older people are asked to pinpoint the happiest time of their lives, the most common response is not an age in childhood, teens, or early adulthood, it’s 82.” - (USA response)
Does not surprise me ... finally, something to be happy about! (All my family peers were gone by age 84... nice to be happy just before your grand exit! Preferably sooner!)

Old 09-19-2023, 01:35 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
What is interesting is that some of comments are from posters who neither looked at the article posted nor the book. The book and article are not about the outliers. For instance, the book shares insights from longitudinal Harvard study of men. But, the dismissal without bothering to find out is quite common for the forum and I am hardly surprised.
You did post an article without much else. Why would you be surprised people skimmed the article, and the outliers are what jumped out at them?

I know people that never slowed down with age. They came to a complete stop when they died in their 30's and 40's.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:51 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
I did fly over it. It looks like just another justification for research and grants. A couple of folks stand out. There are plenty of folks on CD who stand out as in achieving outside the box.

Old 09-19-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You did post an article without much else. Why would you be surprised people skimmed the article, and the outliers are what jumped out at them?

I know people that never slowed down with age. They came to a complete stop when they died in their 30's and 40's.
I sincerely apologize for not reading it for them. Sorry for the interruption. We can proceed to the regular programming to what TV show everyone watched last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement