Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 09:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,018,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, in fact I expect there are people that see me walk to a store and wonder why I have a placard. No one can tell that I have atherosclerosis in both major arteries below the waist. I can walk just as well as anyone for about 100', then the pain in my calves forces me to stop and rest a few minutes, then carry on for another 100', sometimes less. If I park in the nearest regular space at Costco, for example, I cannot walk to the entrance without stopping to rest 2-3 times. Once inside I would have to lean on the cart and rest again before shopping. With the handicap space, I can walk in and get all around the store by walking slowly and leaning on the cart the whole time. At any place where there is a spot open close enough to the entrance I will take it and not use up a handicapped space since there may be someone more in need than I.
Ouch. I thought I had it bad. I was wrong. I feel for you, truly.

I have absolutely no scruples about using the motorized shopping carts at Costco. If our Costco didn't have them, I'd pester and nag the manager about getting some for people who are in much pain and difficulty getting around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 09:07 AM

17,661 posts, read 13,451,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
There's also a market industry of fake placards that people buy and sell and if you get caught it's going to cost you.

As for me yes I could get one but my handicap is invisible I can't walk more than 50-60 ft without being out of breath unless I'm taking my inhalers and even then it's questionable.
That's crazy!

You are handicaped!!! 50-60 feet is nothing.

MrsM and I have the same issues, She has severe COPD and any exertion, even getting dressed leaves her breathless. I have heart problems.

I you need it, get it and use it. Who gives a damn what others say, or think?

On a flat surface, if there are spaces across from handicaped parking next to door, we will park there and leave the close spaces available.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:32 AM

43,345 posts, read 18,477,138 times
Well a lot more illnesses qualify for the tags.
Obesity is one of them and we have a lot of obese in the US.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:50 PM

8,020 posts, read 3,949,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well a lot more illnesses qualify for the tags.
Obesity is one of them and we have a lot of obese in the US.
I suspect I'm in the minority, but I do not consider obesity to be an illness. I consider obesity to be a choice.
Obesity is lifestyle. it is not an illness.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:57 PM

12,065 posts, read 10,310,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I suspect I'm in the minority, but I do not consider obesity to be an illness. I consider obesity to be a choice.
Obesity is lifestyle. it is not an illness.
eh - sometimes there are medical conditions that make you gain weight. Thyroid issues. I had that. Keep gaining even when I was exercising all the time and not eating.

I was in the military - I was sent to the doctor because I was out of my weight standards.

He tested me - yep -thyroid.

Started taking meds - the pounds just sluffed off. And I felt so much better. Thyroid issues also cause you to be tired all the time.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:21 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,453,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
eh - sometimes there are medical conditions that make you gain weight. Thyroid issues. I had that. Keep gaining even when I was exercising all the time and not eating.

I was in the military - I was sent to the doctor because I was out of my weight standards.

Started taking meds - the pounds just sluffed off. And I felt so much better. Thyroid issues also cause you to be tired all the time.
There is also lipodema. They may look obese but it is an actual medical condition and unfortunately not curable.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:52 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,223,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
In California it seems everyone who applies gets one. There are not that many handicapped parking spaces in most parking lots so all the spaces are taken a lot of the time. You do have to have a doctor fill out part of the application form but I know people who have no handicap that I see have the placecards.
I NEVER assume just because a person doesn’t have a blatantly obvious handicap that they don’t need it. My bestie looks fine but she has Parkinson’s and walking is becoming very difficult as she is in constant pain. I needed a permit for 6 months while I was in physical therapy. I tried NOT to use it as I felt extra walking helped BUT there were a few times I really needed it. Looking at me you’d never guess I’d needed it but I was in terrible pain. There are many conditions we can’t see but are limiting.

As for the claim someone made about obesity being a choice
I know a woman with goiter and her life is made miserable by such ignorant comments.as for me Despite skipping breakfast, eating healthy , walking, hiking or swimming daily , I am overweight due to hormonal changes and then cancer meds.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:54 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,223,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

Yes I’m wondering if I need to check this out. I am very active , healthy diet , tired out and whike my cancer meds are contributing, it feels lately there is something more.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:59 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,718,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I see many who park in handicapped parking with a placard, and navigate the mall just fine, doing laps. They just want a good parking space.
I’m one of those who looks fit, but have bad back and knee problems. On a good day, I don’t use my placard. On bad days, I can barely make it in the front door of the mall without looking for a bench.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:22 AM

8,111 posts, read 12,843,641 times
I would feel like a pig if I used one without having a disability. I don't even park in the first 1/2 of the lot in order to leave parking for others. I enjoy walking and an extra 100- 200 yards is not going to kill me; it is going to make me feel BETTER. You can have the spots by the door; I'm going to enjoy my mini-walk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement