Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 11:53 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,079,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Women's rates are also usu. a little higher....because women have a longer lifespan and turn in more claims.

I have United Healthcare. They told me the rate is based on the age you are when you first sign up. The logic being...the younger you are, the more years the co. has to pocket the premims w/minimal claims. When you sign up older, the co. doesn't get those prior year premiums to pocket, even tho you're still healthy at time of signing up.
Ahh, then that is probably the reason. DW was on my employer’s policy for a few years after she turned 65, so she didn’t sign up for Medicare B and supplements until I retired, while I went on both at 65. I am just surprised at the percentage difference.

I am surprised that the projected COLA is so low, as that is less than 1% over the average, and it sure doesn’t seem that prices have stabilized or reduced to closer to what was normal for years. I can definitely see where those with small SS would find this very frustrating. Eggs are insane, and gas continues to be high, not like either is a main drain for us.

I believe SmartMoney is not referring to SS but about getting his income below IRMMA levels so his Medicare B & D premiums are not increased due to that. If your income is greater than about $194k, (MFJ) then your premiums are increased about $80/mo in steps based on income when you apply, based on your income two years earlier. If your income is over something like $750k/yr, your premiums are $472/mo more. Personally, I’d SURE much rather have that kind of income and would gladly pay the IRMMA penalty!! That will never happen, LOL.

Last edited by Perryinva; 09-13-2023 at 12:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 12:58 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
many get whacked with the surcharges because they have a once in a lifetime big gain on an asset sale and not because it is their typical income level..

we hit the highest level years ago when our senior partner sold out some lease rights we owned . it was a one shot deal

Old 09-13-2023, 03:57 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I believe SmartMoney is not referring to SS but about getting his income below IRMMA levels so his Medicare B & D premiums are not increased due to that. If your income is greater than about $194k, (MFJ) then your premiums are increased about $80/mo in steps based on income when you apply, based on your income two years earlier. If your income is over something like $750k/yr, your premiums are $472/mo more. Personally, I’d SURE much rather have that kind of income and would gladly pay the IRMMA penalty!! That will never happen, LOL.
You can end up paying that high IRMAA just by selling your house, business or other one off events - doesn't necessarily mean that you have that level of income or the ability to pay.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:38 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
exactly .

some may sell a property that they held for a long time and need every penny to fund an under funded retirement.

we were kind of forced in to selling some commercial lease rights that spun off 25k a year .

after taxes of about a third it was really not a windfall when we reinvested it and needed to make up the income elsewhere

Old 09-13-2023, 08:18 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
NO

What it means is you need to learn about Social Security & Medicare. You have been paying FICA tax all your working years. Time to find out what the benefits are for you. Get a MyAccount.
I know where I stand. I know what PART B and my IRMAA are going to cost, based on my AGI two years back - my costs are through the roof with my 2022 and 2021 income. I've cut my income in half; I'm in mortgage banking, not hard to do and trying to defer all I can, maxing out on 401 and other opportunities - LOL half my house was donated to Salvation Army (exaggeration, but itemized and documented).

The only thing that breaks my plan is unemployment.........and in these times, it's a real possibility. But 30+ years in, I think I can find another job to tide me over.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:25 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post

Bingo, but the income was short-lived and will tide me through a storm. But there would not be much left of my SSI after hefty deductions. The 2021 and 2022 incomes were atypical, welcome, but doubled/tripled income for a couple years. I was able to take care of things that should have been done ages ago, given me some peace of mind (major dental overhaul, all but $2500 out of pocket). Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have earned it, but I need to retire after my income has stabilized; heck, maybe 2024 will push me to start on Part B in 2026.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:55 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Latest estimate, released today, is a 3.2% increase.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/13/soci...per-month.html

Of course, it is too soon to count on it, but in today's world, every additional dollar helps.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:26 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
As of today 3% would be in the ballpark. But could change .5% more or less.

Problem is between taxes, Medicare premiums, health insurance premiums, you can't take the 3% home.
We take our increases "home". We don't incur any of those costs you mentioned. Every little bit helps.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:32 AM

356 posts, read 281,332 times
Thank you Ariadne22! Your information is always so helpful.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Maybe it’s just me but everything feels like it’s up more than 3%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement