Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 02:04 PM

834 posts, read 467,236 times

Advertisements

I overcame identity loss by minutes, hours, and days. Wasn't easy quitting something I enjoyed but you know what? My new identity is great! Sleeping, napping, cruising the world wide web. I do have to mow the grass occasionally (Thank goodness for a dry Summer) but my stress level rarely gets any higher. If I have a "project" I don't quit till it's done because once I'm finished I don't want to have to look at it again in a work way. As someone earlier posted, I'm rotting from the inside getting spoiled from retirement and it's great.

Last edited by amil23; 09-10-2023 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: cutting out the fluff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 03:06 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
It also can depend on the branch of service you were in. I'd suspect branches such as the Air Force & the Space Force and different hence easier to adjust than the Army, Navy & Marine. The reason I "speculated" this (since I was never in the service) is the previous two branches deal more with technology rather than than the culture of discipline & obedience.
Yeah. Also the authority of a ship's captain must be experienced to be understood. And admirals - Good God!

I once served on a ship with Adm John McCain (the senator's father). I was never so terrified of a human being in my life. I saw him glowering out at the sea one day, and thought, "Why doesn't he just tell God to stop the wind? I am sure God would!

One day the admiral stepped into radio central and the senior enlisted man approached him, as we all thought he was expected to do:
"Good Morning, Admiral."
(Glowers)
"Don't you ever speak to an Admiral until he speaks to you!"

Admirals command fleets.
Captains command ships.
I have heard of successful transitions from high ranking naval officer to civilian life, but have never seen it.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:27 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. Also the authority of a ship's captain must be experienced to be understood. And admirals - Good God!

I once served on a ship with Adm John McCain (the senator's father). I was never so terrified of a human being in my life. I saw him glowering out at the sea one day, and thought, "Why doesn't he just tell God to stop the wind? I am sure God would!

One day the admiral stepped into radio central and the senior enlisted man approached him, as we all thought he was expected to do:
"Good Morning, Admiral."
(Glowers)
"Don't you ever speak to an Admiral until he speaks to you!"

Admirals command fleets.
Captains command ships.
I have heard of successful transitions from high ranking naval officer to civilian life, but have never seen it.
Admirals also command shore commands. I worked for over 17 years for the Naval Space Command. Our commanders were all Admirals. Some went back to the fleet or went to other shore commands or uptown to the Pentagon.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:23 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...-in-retirementNeither MrsM, or I, ever felt this way. We have many friends who had lots of issues when starting retirement.

This is a very interesting article, IMHO

I turned in my access cards at 10:00 AM on a Friday 2 and half years ago... and I was over all that 'work' stuff by the time I was down the stairs and out the door.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 804,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, I used to be very much that way (and was after all in the classic "helping" profession). But I have completely, entirely lost it, and I think the profession may have been actually a factor in it. I witnessed all the time how every bit of goodwill is constantly exploited and turned against the helper for more exploitation. I have never been sued for malpractice (thank goodness; I got out on time I guess), but know of so many frivolous suits that have wrecked lives of good, dedicated people. To me, the first thought when volunteering is mentioned is the risk of legal/ financial/ interpersonal harm to myself. That is why I will never volunteer.

The same reason why I wouldn't "help" anyone with a financial loan. People typically won't return it even when they can. And why I won't rent out any of my small properties again for a low rent (or any rent actually) - when someone settles on a property, they can do unspeakable things to the owner by way of property destruction and lawsuits.

I was in a helping profession. I was exhausted from helping & don’t want to do it anymore, except for caring for neglected dogs & a very old mule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement