Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 11:42 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

We were. It was lovely, but there are some considerations. We were up above the course, and NOT next to any of the paths. Did not want people passing 6 feet outside of our fence. We found a lot of balls in our yard, but not as bad as another neighbor around the circle, he had a ball take out his window and a solar panel. This is the owner's responsibility, not the golf course or the golfers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 02:15 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
I know my solar panels have a specific performance/damage exemption for "ball damage" - when I asked, they said it was targeting golf balls, not the neighbor's kid's ball. I don't live on a course so not much risk.

Also what has been happening some places is developers buying out the courses and letting the course go to weed in the hopes of putting housing where the course used to exist - there goes your view and eventually your open space.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:13 PM

7,586 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Here's one for you... I bought my house for $200k and these were going for $400k. It is 55+. Now they are $1 milllion. There is a one time transfer fee of $1k (or some small amount) and their HOA fees are cheap (like $100 a month). It's a public golf course (that pays for all the maintenance instead of the senior homeowners -- a brilliant concept). But, yeah, a friend of a friend lived on Raleigh Hills golf course and ended up having to sue. So, you really have to be smart about it...

https://www.55places.com/oregon/communities/claremont

Claremont is gorgeous and if I could afford it I would buy there.

I live within 1 mile. Golf courses are also a great place to go in case of an out of control wildfire. The green grass will not burn. If a wildfire rips through my neighborhood me and my cats will be parked on that golf course (instead of dying because we are stuck in our car with clogged traffic).

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 09-07-2023 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-07-2023, 04:21 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
My home was adjacent to a golf course. No issues with the house getting hit by errant balls (we were near a tee so struck balls generally didn't go awry for the first 50 yards or so) but public urination was a huge problem. It was usually older members of the club and bros. Tournaments were usually the worst, insurance agents and car parts vendors who seemed to believe this would be their only opportunity to play the course (private club) so they really didn't care about being on their best behavior. What was maddening was that the hole paralleling 'ours' had a set of bathrooms near the tee and on 'ours' it was near the green, so there was ample opportunity to drain it on both holes. The only benefit of living right on the course was occasionally waving down the beer cart girl for a cold one.

Had to call the General Manager a number of times to get a Marshall or a player's assistant out on that hole but was pretty much ignored. I think he was scared of offending some of the more well-heeled members. We dropped our membership not long afterwards and sold the home sometime later. We're building a new home, oddly enough in golf community, well away from the course itself.

Good luck.

Last edited by take57; 09-07-2023 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement