Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 05:22 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,814,075 times

Advertisements

64 modular homes in a non gated community, its shaped, to me like a horseshoe, paved road curved between the outside homes and homes in the middle.
An owner is responsible for their front, backyard. Most, if not all have activities outside their homes. Only activity, cars coming, going, someone riding a bicycle or walking to the mailboxes.

Myself, moved from a home on an acre +, fruit trees in front yard, large lawn in the back. Do miss doing wheelies on the lawn tractor !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 05:43 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,424,492 times
One year in a +55 community. 300 homes about 2/3 built and occupied average age is probably late 60’s so most are fit and mobile. Best move we could have ever made. Great friends, activities and a home we designed.

Old 08-26-2023, 03:14 AM

16,286 posts, read 10,434,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't think you are talking about the same thing. It's the same as buying a house anywhere else. Any fees would be on their website. Who would be knocking on your door at night? Maybe a neighbor with Jello shots.
But fees are not on their web site, I always get a form to complete to get more information. As for the knocking on the door part I've heard this is kind of how it is in most 55 and over communities. People become friends and just stop by, woman come by with a cake or casserole if you are a single man. I stopped and asked a resident in one of these and that's what she said, I've heard it from others as well.

Old 08-26-2023, 09:43 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,668,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
But fees are not on their web site, I always get a form to complete to get more information. As for the knocking on the door part I've heard this is kind of how it is in most 55 and over communities. People become friends and just stop by, woman come by with a cake or casserole if you are a single man. I stopped and asked a resident in one of these and that's what she said, I've heard it from others as well.
If you don't want to socialize a 55+ probably isn't the place for you. Socialization is the reason most people move here.

To get the cakes and casseroles you also have to be able to drive at night.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:09 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,081,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have lived in my village which there are many villages in my 55+ community for a little over a year. During this time not one of my neighbors have popped by our home unannounced. We all have each others phone numbers and will call or text if we need to reach each other. We also have a Facebook page which we utilize to send out invites to driveway parties, list anything we have for sale, seek recommendations for landscapers, etc. Believe me, if you lived in my community I highly doubt there would be any women stopping by your home with a casserole as they are too busy playing golf, pickleball, etc.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:03 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I have lived in my village which there are many villages in my 55+ community for a little over a year. During this time not one of my neighbors have popped by our home unannounced. We all have each others phone numbers and will call or text if we need to reach each other. We also have a Facebook page which we utilize to send out invites to driveway parties, list anything we have for sale, seek recommendations for landscapers, etc. Believe me, if you lived in my community I highly doubt there would be any women stopping by your home with a casserole as they are too busy playing golf, pickleball, etc.
One of the reasons that The Villages appeals to us is that the socializing is largely done at the various venues and when they hold a block party it's in the driveway.

Going on a mad dash to tidy the house just to have a friend over is a royal pain in the behind. It's so much easier to meet up at a rec center, a pool, a golf club, a pickle ball court, a nature trail, etc.

Who wants to sit inside and stare at the same 4 walls every day? The day will come when you may not be able to do much more than that but there is no reason to live like that when you are still active and reasonably healthy.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:23 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
^^
That's how I live now. With my many dogs and my non-precise ways, I have to really think to get the house ready for company. Much prefer to meet somewhere in the community (just a great small town, not a 55+).

Old 08-31-2023, 04:39 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
^^
That's how I live now. With my many dogs and my non-precise ways, I have to really think to get the house ready for company. Much prefer to meet somewhere in the community (just a great small town, not a 55+).
That's awesome if you know a lot of retirees that are home during the day and want to do things and there are retiree friendly spots to go that don't involve making an hour round trip commute. But, that isn't the case everywhere. Even in small towns people need to work. So anything going on in the town tends to happen on the evenings and weekends.

Old 08-31-2023, 05:10 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Yes, that's true. Most people I know are working. I do stuff during the day myself, true.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:24 AM

11,141 posts, read 9,779,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There's a tendency among humans to acclimate to whatever environment and can see whether an active-55 community (or assisted-living) morphing into that general personality pretty quickly. I for one don't get the appeal unless unable to care for yourself with day-to-day health concerns.
I don't think you're talking about an active-55+ community. I think most people here are talking about a community of SFHs with lots of amenities like golf courses, pools, sports courts, gyms, entertainment venues, etc, or a senior apartment/condo community with a few nice amenities. It's definitely not a place for people "unable to care for themselves". That would be an Assisted Living facility. And I think many people everywhere have day to day health concerns. Diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, etc, come to mind, and they are rampant everywhere in this country, and not restricted to age-restricted communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement