Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 06:40 PM

518 posts, read 626,326 times

Advertisements

How many of you returned to work after retiring, whether through necessity or simply the desire to keep busy? Having been retired, when my died died, necessity sent me back to work At first it was hard getting into the rhythm of working again but after a couple of years, I am now happy to be back in the working world and feeling productive again. Every day brings new challenges at work and new things to learn and, of course, the little extra money always helps as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 08:20 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,800,391 times
I can’t see the point.
Cannot make enough at a job to make it worth it. I would have to make $50K gross for 1/2 time. Not going to happen without a lot of effort on my part. A lot. I am too lazy.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:11 PM

393 posts, read 275,299 times
I went back to work part-time with my old employer, right after Covid hit. They have little projects for me from time to time (I went in today in fact). I hate the drive, and don't need the money (which isn't very good anyway), but to tell the truth, I get energized by solving problems and interfacing with co-workers. I think it's good for my brain, and they're happy to have me.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:47 PM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
I dropped out of the workforce for 2.5 years during the peak of Covid. I used that as a partial excuse to leave a very toxic job immediately.

Although I am now in a way better working environment and I do feel appreciated, my choice would be to not work anymore at all. One plus worth mentioning is I amazed myself on how quickly I learned new duties but I do have a background in office admin. The extra money is helping but I hate the sometimes deadline pressures and my commute is a nightmare. Not enjoying that nor my life right now for that matter but it is what it is...

FWIW I am working an average of 28 hours per week but that damn commute which comes with traffic...

I'm coming up on one year on the same job and I haven't had a raise yet. The office manager knows my feelings on this and I'm confident I will be getting a bump in salary soon. Pretty standard I guess but I have made major contributions to the operation and they may have to be reminded about that.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:30 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
I ended up returning back to the workforce simply for the bennies. I'll be able to sign up for Medicare in 18 months, Wife still has 5 years, no interest in returning to work, fine by me and will likely keep me on the job to keep her covered. The job I found has great health insurance at an incredible rate, easy work and summers off so we can travel, can't get much better than that.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:25 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I knew when I retired at 57 that I would have to find some part-time work. I still had some debt to pay off from getting my kid through college, and I wanted to pay it off sooner rather than later, and I did.

I was fortunate that a couple of jobs came to me and paid better than I had hoped. Health benefits were not a problem since they came with me in retirement; in fact, my last four or five years at work, I'd had to start paying for them while in retirement I no longer would.

I thought I was done, as I planned to remarry and move. Instead I ended up a caregiver for almost two years. After that ended with his death earlier this year, I returned home and eventually went to visit my last employer in their new office. They had kept in touch with me and never removed me from their website and still copied me on emails. I did not know if they still wanted me to work, but I figured I would visit and feel it out.

There was an office with my name on the glass and three boxes of business cards on the desk. "We had no doubt that you would be back."

I walked out of there feeling better than I had in almost two sad years. Work is a fine antidote to grief and not knowing what the heck you are going to do next after all your life plans are squashed like bugs.

It is only one or two days a week in the office or attending industry events for the company, and some hours at home as necessary. The money is good, meals are often part of these events, I like the people I work for, and I might as well work since I am not sure what to do with my life now anyway.

Plus the extra money is paying for a tooth implant and new kitchen cabinets!

Old 07-29-2023, 06:37 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
My old boss has made overtones about having me back next year to help sunset the old process that I helped design, implement and manage. The current team will all likely retire or move to new jobs.

Honestly, it’s be an easy job and easy money. I’d be happy to help out since there is no downside. Work from home, limited to 1,000 hours. Easy peasy.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:40 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It is only one or two days a week in the office or attending industry events for the company, and some hours at home as necessary. The money is good, meals are often part of these events, I like the people I work for, and I might as well work since I am not sure what to do with my life now anyway.

Good for you but you misspelled “tractor attachments”.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:53 AM

518 posts, read 626,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I knew when I retired at 57 that I would have to find some part-time work. I still had some debt to pay off from getting my kid through college, and I wanted to pay it off sooner rather than later, and I did.

I was fortunate that a couple of jobs came to me and paid better than I had hoped. Health benefits were not a problem since they came with me in retirement; in fact, my last four or five years at work, I'd had to start paying for them while in retirement I no longer would.

I thought I was done, as I planned to remarry and move. Instead I ended up a caregiver for almost two years. After that ended with his death earlier this year, I returned home and eventually went to visit my last employer in their new office. They had kept in touch with me and never removed me from their website and still copied me on emails. I did not know if they still wanted me to work, but I figured I would visit and feel it out.

There was an office with my name on the glass and three boxes of business cards on the desk. "We had no doubt that you would be back."

I walked out of there feeling better than I had in almost two sad years. Work is a fine antidote to grief and not knowing what the heck you are going to do next after all your life plans are squashed like bugs.

Good you, Mightyqueen. Yes, work is a good antidote for grief. After my husband died, I was broken and didn't think I'd ever get better. A co-worker from a job I had many years ago sent me an e-mail about someone looking for a new assistant. Well, I applied, got the job, and it literally saved my life.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Nope never no no no. I had a few beg me to return to work, to be a consultant, to run for sheriff, nope. I don't need to produce for the collective, I am happy going fishing, watching cartoons, doing what I want when I want.

If working again brings you contentment, then I am happy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement