Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 10:24 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My township has no traffic lights, we do have one stop sign though.

By this reasoning, to turn left at a stop sign is dangerous.
where i work and walk on a regular basis, it is a regular and common occurrence to routinely see people not only run stop signs, but run them at high speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 02:20 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,378,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am sensitive to anything where I can get hurt, driving, sport, stairs. It's just too easy to break a bone and I live alone, drive a stick shift and would find life very difficult with a simple broken bone.
Yes, me too. I take exercise classs and weight training but have resisted pickleball -- everyone in my neighborhood is MAD about it -- but I know there are a lot of pickleball injuries and I don't need one. Also I am extra careful with my shoulder as I hurt it about a decade ago reaching behind while driving. Took about a year to feel better.

When driving I now stay in the right lane, go 5 miles over the speed limit and give plenty of distance between crazy aggressive drivers. And if someone is coughing and hacking and spewing germs in a public setting -- I run away from them. I get enough of that when I visit my grandchildren.

If you pound on my door and I don't know you -- night or day -- I do not answer.

I am also cautious of identity theft -- I guard my information and never click on links. Also very very rarely use an ATM and only inside the bank during the daytime. I never use a debit card. I am fully moving into "little old lady" territory.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:36 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Yes, me too. I take exercise classs and weight training but have resisted pickleball -- everyone in my neighborhood is MAD about it -- but I know there are a lot of pickleball injuries and I don't need one. Also I am extra careful with my shoulder as I hurt it about a decade ago reaching behind while driving. Took about a year to feel better.

When driving I now stay in the right lane, go 5 miles over the speed limit and give plenty of distance between crazy aggressive drivers. And if someone is coughing and hacking and spewing germs in a public setting -- I run away from them. I get enough of that when I visit my grandchildren.

If you pound on my door and I don't know you -- night or day -- I do not answer.

I am also cautious of identity theft -- I guard my information and never click on links. Also very very rarely use an ATM and only inside the bank during the daytime. I never use a debit card. I am fully moving into "little old lady" territory.
Same here, and remind your younger family members, too. My adult daughter was at Disney earlier this month, and somebody got her debit card number. Withdrew $400, then she kept getting messages that "you don't have enough in your account for this withdrawal", so they were still trying.

Now the other day somebody told me to keep the chip on your card turned inward in your wallet, because they can walk right past you and snatch the information using some device.

Old 07-30-2023, 04:56 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,868 times
Walking in a straight line.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:22 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,046,144 times
Getting in the car with other older drivers. Look, I know I'm old and drive accordingly but some people do not think slower reaction times in old age applies to them.

While I'm not the stereotypical old lady hunched over the steering wheel, going 10 miles below the speed limit in the left lane, I do more or less follow the speed limit, stay in the right lane except to pass, leave plenty of room in front for others to merge, keep both hands on the steering wheel, and pull over if cars are lining up behind me on a country road where they are unable to pass.

What makes me a nervous wreck is other drivers going too fast, following too closely, slamming on brakes at the last second instead of slowly braking, turning to look at me (can't talk and keep eyes on the road at the same time) and holding steering wheel with one hand at 6 o'clock position on busy expressway.

I prefer to drive myself and drive alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement