Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 10:56 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,552,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I had it for maybe a year and cancelled it because it's too politically biased. I want to read non-politically biased articles about retirement, finances, Medicare, social security, and travel and such things without having political bias shoved down my throat. I didn't like the emphasis on celebrities either. There's enough drivel about celebrities in the news without having it promoted further by AARP. If the publication can't present neutral information about topics important to me, why have it? I can get insurance and travel discounts without it.
very true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 11:43 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,407,837 times
Quote:
I had it for maybe a year and cancelled it because it's too politically biased. I want to read non-politically biased articles about retirement, finances, Medicare, social security, and travel and such things without having political bias shoved down my throat. I didn't like the emphasis on celebrities either. There's enough drivel about celebrities in the news without having it promoted further by AARP. If the publication can't present neutral information about topics important to me, why have it? I can get insurance and travel discounts without it.
I don't read every word, I skip what doesn't interest me. About 80% is not in any way politically based. Old celebrities (before the era of reality shows) were interesting people, and still are - I don't mind hearing about them. Since a part of my very long training had been at a well known institution, I happened to meet several very famous entertainers. An amazing thing is that all of them were extremely intelligent, even when not publicly known for that feature. Their way of life is so competitive that one has to be truly very exceptional to succeed in it at "celebrity" level - so, I don't mind hearing about them.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:01 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
^See, that's what I was talking about in starting this thread. It's never been about discounts or perks. It became about selling life insurance. Perhaps it was always intended to be such.

At least the magazine is worthwhile and it apparently does some lobbying on behalf of seniors. I've never looked into how effective that has been.
Most of their lobbying recently seems to have been so they can make more from insurance sales - not sure they really have seniors best interests at heart anymore.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:05 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,795,831 times
For 15 years my mother was with AARP all the time they were saying "We're going to do something for the notch babies we're going to get you better benefits" and they never did. To me they are just a fraud and other than just shilling for an insurance company a waste of time..

They tried to recruit me a few times I usually return all their garbage in their postage paid envelope with a request not to bother me anymore.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:32 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,518,276 times
Quote:
Yep, been going on for a long time, got my mom to cancel 20 years ago. I never joined. I do use AAA quite a bit though.

Old 07-19-2023, 01:24 PM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Most of their lobbying recently seems to have been so they can make more from insurance sales - not sure they really have seniors best interests at heart anymore.
According to their financials they get $300K from membership and over $1 million from royalties.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:12 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
According to their financials they get $300K from membership and over $1 million from royalties.
You are off by a factor of 1000 - from AARP's 2020 financial statement, reports just over $1 billion in royalties. That's more than three times what it collected in member dues, just over $300 million.

Makes my point though - they don't care that much about their membership because that is not where they make their money anymore - the royalties drive their primary lobbying efforts. They care more about selling insurance than anything else.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:33 PM

810 posts, read 873,287 times
It didn't use to be this way but society seems much more focused on young people now, as if they're more interesting or newsworthy (they're not). If someone wants to advocate for and present articles for the over-50 crowd, count me in. We're the fastest growing demographic and an advocacy group like AARP can only help.

As to the magazine, there are usually useful bits in each issue that wouldn't find their way into most other magazines. I learned this in the most recent issue: Medicare will pay for a second opinion. And if the second opinion disagrees with the first doctor's opinion, Medicare will pay for a third opinion. It's the normal 80/20 split -- Medicare covers 80% and your supplement covers the remaining 20%. Medicare Advantage plans might vary in how or if they cover it, so if you have Advantage they said to verify with your plan ahead of time.

I have the AARP UHC plan G supplement and it's fine with me that they get a royalty cut. They lobby for our interests in Washington and can't do that for free.

Old 07-19-2023, 02:42 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,912,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
It didn't use to be this way but society seems much more focused on young people now, as if they're more interesting or newsworthy (they're not). If someone wants to advocate for and present articles for the over-50 crowd, count me in. We're the fastest growing demographic and an advocacy group like AARP can only help.

As to the magazine, there are usually useful bits in each issue that wouldn't find their way into most other magazines. I learned this in the most recent issue: Medicare will pay for a second opinion. And if the second opinion disagrees with the first doctor's opinion, Medicare will pay for a third opinion. It's the normal 80/20 split -- Medicare covers 80% and your supplement covers the remaining 20%. Medicare Advantage plans might vary in how or if they cover it, so if you have Advantage they said to verify with your plan ahead of time.

I have the AARP UHC plan G supplement and it's fine with me that they get a royalty cut. They lobby for our interests in Washington and can't do that for free.
Same. I have Plan G as well (through Cigna). They will have to pry it from my grubby little hands or on my deathbed LOL

Old 07-19-2023, 03:14 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,407,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post

I'm planning to get that same supplement in 1.5 year when I go on Medicare (I assume it has a high deductible variant, which is what interests me). I don't need any other insurance, so I don't even notice what else they advertise. I don't get any other mailings from AARP except for the bulletin and magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement