Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 06:56 AM

9,958 posts, read 7,860,980 times

Advertisements

My aunt fell getting her newspaper on her front stoop. She laid there for 8 hours in the bitter cold before a neighbor found her. Can't imagine how awful that must've been.

That was the last time she lived alone though, after the hospital stay she went right into assisted living. She was one who really shouldn't have lived alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 07:41 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,127,962 times
I fell on my 60th birthday. Nothing exciting. Stupid, really. I was getting up from one chair, put my hand on the rocker close by, and it rocked forward. (I have no idea why THAT would be a surprise. ) I fell on my bad knees. I think that was the Universe telling me that being 60 is officially “old” (at least for me).

It has been downhill ever since. Things hurt or they are bigger or not where they used to be. LOL

Old 06-24-2023, 08:00 AM

9,205 posts, read 6,364,907 times
No need to carry your cell phone if you get an Apple Watch. It functions as an adjunct to your Iphone but also provides additional services. This is a review of the Apple Watch 5.

"The latest model can record an ECG through touch, track your sleep, protect your hearing from excessive sounds, and monitor your heart rate.

With the third-generation, Apple Watch fall detection was first introduced. It isn’t configured as on by default, but making it active isn’t difficult.

What’s interesting about this feature is that once it detects what it considers to be a fall it will ask you if you fell, just dropped the Watch or need emergency assistance.

If it can detect movement it will wait for input, but if it doesn’t detect any motion after a minute it will automatically call 911 (in the USA) and get you assistance.

However, calling 911 might not be ideal depending on the geographic location, but you have the alternative of using an app like FallCall Lite+. It will provide the wearer with an alert button that will contact predefined caregivers or a medical support line.

To help those coming to your aid, Apple has a Medical ID system where you can input various medical conditions, allergies, etc. The only caveat is that you need an Apple iPhone or iPad to access these input pages."

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-...t-smartwatches

Old 06-24-2023, 08:04 AM

5,617 posts, read 6,567,593 times
I live alone and am very cautious about climbing ladders, taking a shower and anything else that could cause me to fall. I keep my phone on the floor in the bathroom when showering in case I fall, it will be easy to get to. So, one day I was hanging something back up, a decor item, that fell down from the side cupboard in my kitchen (darn sticky hooks, never hold for long). I was annoyed and that was where my mind was. I stepped down from my 2 step stepladder and I felt my foot NOT hitting the lower step. The thought ran through my mind that I am not that high up, my foot would just land on the floor instead and I'd be fine. Wrong! In that split second when my foot hit the ground it gave out and I fell on my hard kitchen floor. Thank God I didn't hit my head on the island that was against the wall. I lay there, stunned. I think I said out loud "What the hell just happened"? It happened that quickly. I was lucky I didn't break anything.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:24 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,844,307 times
Post suggestions you find helpful living alone.

No scatter rugs, if a small rug, secure to the floor, not to trip

Check your hearing, wife heard a leak from the small water heater in the master bedroom
(Manufactured home), husband didn't. He refuses to get hearing aids.

IF on a stool, ladder, reach directly overhead, do Not lean to one side or the other

Make sure aisles in your home Clear, no clutter

Good to be independent, though wise when to know when you need help

Old 06-24-2023, 08:27 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,228,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
My aunt fell getting her newspaper on her front stoop. She laid there for 8 hours in the bitter cold before a neighbor found her. Can't imagine how awful that must've been.
Where I used to live, my next door neighbor was a doctor in his seventies. He fell between his house and his garage and his wife could not get him up. Several folks walked past but did not understand his predicament. When I restored him to his feet, he was somewhat embarrassed but he did thank me profusely for the help at a holiday party.

Now, I have gone over the youtube videos on how to regain your feet after a fall. I put those suggestions to good use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p7qOBBpdH0

Old 06-24-2023, 08:30 AM

24,842 posts, read 11,275,033 times
Have your phone on you and make sure it is charged.Know your surroundings. Have a check up system in place. If a friend does not hear from me during business hours she will call SO and then local police who does welfare checks. We do the same for her.

Mumsy refuses to accept that she is 85. So walker and cane are hidden away. Two years ago she broke her neck on the way to the bath room. Last week it was her hip while weeding flower beds. She gets dizzy when bending over. She gets aggressive when we try to discuss things with her. Last night it was my fault that she fell because she told me her hip hurts when she was visiting with us.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:40 AM

1,514 posts, read 825,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Suggest you get one of these. Help I've fallen and can't get up device.
https://www.lifealert.com/
An Apple watch once purchased has no monthly fee!

Old 06-24-2023, 08:55 AM

25,705 posts, read 17,477,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Have your phone on you and make sure it is charged.Know your surroundings. Have a check up system in place. If a friend does not hear from me during business hours she will call SO and then local police who does welfare checks. We do the same for her.

Mumsy refuses to accept that she is 85. So walker and cane are hidden away. Two years ago she broke her neck on the way to the bath room. Last week it was her hip while weeding flower beds. She gets dizzy when bending over. She gets aggressive when we try to discuss things with her. Last night it was my fault that she fell because she told me her hip hurts when she was visiting with us.
I am not going to be like that and have told the kids so.
When I need a cane or walker or can no longer drive I am going to get myself into assisted living. We have enough assets to make it happen.

In the meantime I work out 3X a week to try to stay strong and flexible and balanced. I will turn 78 in a few weeks and will celebrate by doing 78 squats and planking for 78 seconds. Then I am going to come home and mow the yard.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:57 AM

17,653 posts, read 22,736,133 times
It's a good idea to have a shoulder holster for your cell phone or mobile phone. It tucks in under your arm.
I carry my .357 in a shoulder holster also.
https://www.google.com/search?q=shou...t=gws-wiz#ip=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement