Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 10:01 AM

518 posts, read 626,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Couldn't care less about formal education. But I do enjoy smart people, wise people, people who read and think.
I really don't care about formal education either, but I so admire people who do continue to read and think well beyond their graduation from school Education doesn't end with the diploma or with the degree. I like people who remain open-minded and who welcome ideas that might be contrary to their own. We all learn from each other. I may not agree with you and you may not agree with me about certain things but that is the joy in learning. We look at perspectives that might differ greatly from our own and we're learning in the process whatever our age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 10:26 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I truly enjoy being around all types of people from different walks of life. Where I live, there are highly educated people and people with very little education. There are farmers, auto mechanics, and software engineers. Doctors and lawyers and fast food servers. They all blend in together and sometimes live in the same neighborhoods. Their kids go to school together and you can often find them together having a good time at different events. It's a small town and these people are all neighbors. They respect each other regardless of education and income.

I personally know that I learn something from all of them.
Sounds like our life. I like it. I really don't know how much time they spend learning something new. We have a small store and meet all sorts of people every day. We love talking with everyone, might be a university president one minute and then a car mechanic who runs a charity to feed the homeless the next minute.

I think I'm more interested in what people do versus what they've learned.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:50 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I was probably unclear in my first posting. When I say "highly educated" that does not equate necessarily to college-educated. It mean a person who continues to self-educate throughout life and maintains a love of learning.
I don't think you needed to add the amplifying posts to explain what you meant. It seemed pretty clear to me. I agree. I like to be around deep thinkers who can discuss topics beyond the superficial level. Those who can see underlying shades of meaning. I mourn the loss of deep thinking conversations as so many of those who liked having them have moved upon retirement.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:51 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Everyone is highly intelligent compared to me

Old 06-20-2023, 12:08 PM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
for once i agree. ha ha

but i will say , you do like to learn

Old 06-20-2023, 12:40 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Oh, my. There are many days when your (sometimes lame) jokes bring a smile to my face. I have no idea if you're highly intelligent, but I know your ability to bring moments of joy to others is a gift.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:11 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
I enjoy a highly-developed sense of humor more than being highly- educated.
But often people with a great sense of humor are also quite intelligent but not particularly highly-educated.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:43 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
I used to hire PhDs for research projects. Having education at that level does not mean you can actually function in society. I found it very difficult to work with them, set expectations, and deadlines. Some could not separate the academic world from the real world.

Among my small social circle of close friends, I might be the only one with a graduate degree (maybe?). It never comes up, generally. One is a structural engineer, one was engaged in high-tech weapons research (with a HS diploma), one is a remodeling contractor (with HS, one is an insurance adjuster, others have college degrees or credits, one worked for NASA, one is an artist, most are retired or semi-retired. All have made their own way and have common sense and are socially fluent and aware of their community and current affairs. I don't see any real difference based on education level. I don't see it as a dividing line in social contacts or friendships.

I'm a writer and have other personal connections if I want to pursue something along that line. I'm a photographer and the same is true with that. I'm an officer in a foundation focusing on architecture so there is another group. They are mostly educated professional acquaintances rather than friends in my usual circle. We typically don't "hang out" but might on occasion.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:46 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I find we all excell in some areas and are weak in others So formal education counts for little in my choice of friends
Same for me. I like intelligent people. Yes, most of the intelligent people I know went past a high school education...but it's typically not how I measure intelligence.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:58 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Like PAhippo I like being around creative people because I am one. Many creative people have high intelligence, not all.
But not all "highly educated" people are enjoyable to associate with, some have other qualities that are off-putting.

I'm glad the OP changed "highly educated" to include those without college degrees.
My family had several very intelligent members with no higher education, they were good people and I learned a lot from them.

A few years ago I belonged to a group whose membership was open to those with college degrees. I got along with the majority and supported their goals of raising money for scholarships but in the end the members (all retired) weren't all that interesting to associate with. For me intelligence is just one factor, not the most important, to liking people.

I want all my medical professionals to be highly educated but wouldn't especially want to go out to dinner with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement