Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 10:58 PM

11,660 posts, read 12,749,402 times

Advertisements

True Story: A couple of weeks ago, I put in an order via text to renew a prescription from a mail order pharmacy. They usually use UPS to deliver the medication so when I got a text from UPS about a half hour later, I clicked on the link. The link looked very legit with the usual UPS logo, but said there was a delivery fee. I ignored it because that didn't seem quite right. When I didn't get my medication delivered within the usual time, I happened to get another notification from UPS, again notifying me that there was a delivery fee. This time, I called the pharmacy and inquired if there was a separate delivery fee from UPS. First, they explained why the delivery of the medication was being held up and second, they told me that their fee includes delivery so that text was definitely not legit. It was just random timing that the scammers sent those texts to me at those precise moments. But I am glad that I called the pharmacy to verify it was a scam because this wasn't so obvious, like the ones described in the other posts on this thread.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:32 AM

19,254 posts, read 16,773,190 times
Good that you called them, Coney. It could have ended so much worse. And yes, the timing is everything. I had ordered something from Amazon once but it had already arrived. I got a text on my phone that said my order was delayed and I needed to contact them. I just blocked the number and reported it as spam. I don't think I would have clicked on the message even if I hadn't received the package because I don't receive texts from Amazon either. I have a trust issue. These thieves are getting more and more sophisticated. They've even made logos to match the real company.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:22 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,088,795 times
The most common ones are from PayPal and Amazon stating the the account has been closed. There's the obvious "click here" and a number to call that connects you straight to India!

Old 06-02-2023, 12:09 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,102,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This topic will benefit everyone but I'm putting it here in the retirement section because we're at an age where losing money is harder to re-coup, if not impossible.

This story was featured on CBS Mornings. Ever received a text that asks, "Did you authorize a $XX charge on your account?" Then it asks you to click yes or no. That's when the trouble starts. 8.8 billion dollars was lost last year to fraud in 2022.

Watch this story and make a mental note so you won't be a victim of these thieves.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scammers-...143348905.html

If you have a tip that's kept you safe and would like to share it, I know others (including myself) would like to know it. We worked too many years and saved for retirement to have it vanish right under our nose.
One basic principle is to have a separate email account to be used with your financial institutions only.
Don't share it with anyone and only use if for bank and brokerage transactions.

Also sign up for alerts from your bank and brokerage and check and routinely check account activity.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:10 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,102,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Do not link your phone to bank accounts or credit cards.
How do you do two factor authorizations by email only?

Old 06-02-2023, 12:50 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,451,304 times
Quote:
This topic will benefit everyone but I'm putting it here in the retirement section because we're at an age where losing money is harder to re-coup, if not impossible.

This story was featured on CBS Mornings. Ever received a text that asks, "Did you authorize a $XX charge on your account?" Then it asks you to click yes or no. That's when the trouble starts. 8.8 billion dollars was lost last year to fraud in 2022.

Watch this story and make a mental note so you won't be a victim of these thieves.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scammers-...143348905.html

If you have a tip that's kept you safe and would like to share it, I know others (including myself) would like to know it. We worked too many years and saved for retirement to have it vanish right under our nose.
The bank text is hard because we do get those but we get them in multiple places. My husband's phone and my email. If I didn't authorize it I do click no but the next thing I do is call the number on the back of my card and get the card canceled and a new one sent. I also don't use my debit card for any purchases and have a dollar limit of $0 on my husband's card and $50 on mine. To say, however, that a financial institution will never ask for a pin sent to your phone isn't correct. I was moving money in a financial institution (not bank) over the phone (a call I made) and they sent me a pin to phone on record to verify it was really me even though I answered other questions.

Secondly, answering yes or no to that question does not prompt a call from the bank, instead it should prompt you to call them to find out if it was true and to cancel your card and have a new one issued. Unfortunately the elderly often get excited and upset and don't stop to think.

The next scam is AI. They find out a lot about you and about children or grandchildren and get a copy of their voice and then use it to scam you about them being in jail or otherwise. Don't fall for it. It is never ever true.

Lastly, setup your phone to not accept calls from anyone not in your contacts. Let them leave a voice message. Easier to verify if you aren't in the call.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:08 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,617,426 times
I don't respond to texts from people/places I don't recognize or wasn't expecting. I looked at the originating "phone number" in a couple of cases, and they were from Gmail email addresses, not phone numbers. I was able to block those email addresses. I never responded, and I'm not sure I even opened the texts, since I could see in list of incoming "calls" who was sending me a text? I don't remember exactly. I was surprised there's a way to send texts from email addresses. Apparently this is something that Google enabled.

I don't do much business via phone, so that so far, it's easier for me to spot something unusual. Those options in my accounts that ask permission to contact me via text...I never allow that. It's always by email, and I'm watchful of scams there, too. I allow texts only for providers like electric company & internet provider to text me regarding outages.

I don't do banking and other business through my phone, but since everything is connected these days, I suppose someone could access that info thru the internet on my phone? It's scary.

I also try to check account balances periodically to make sure nothing looks suspicious. I have accounts set to notify me of changes in account balances, too, if they offer that service.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:31 PM

19,254 posts, read 16,773,190 times
Nice @bpollen. Your habits appear to be much like mine.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:07 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,617,426 times
Quote:
Nice @bpollen. Your habits appear to be much like mine.
Thanks! Nice to know I'm not being obsessive. It sounds like more work than it really is, though. It's more of not doing things, than doing things.

Old 06-03-2023, 06:01 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,088,795 times
Be careful now of BIN scamming. Banking experts are now warning of a rise in so-called BIN attacks in which hackers use computer programs to essentially ‘guess’ the full card number, CVV code and other information linked to debt and credit cards. Criminals always seem to be one step ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement