Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 02:55 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,374,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I have found one group that does rent to seniors 62 and above on a limited income basis. However the states are limited to California (54), Oregon (1), Washington (9), Pennsylvania (36) and Delaware (1).

https://www.humangood.org/housing-op...rdable-housing

I'll be heading to Yakima myself as soon as they give me a call since I'm #1 on the waiting list. Which shows how few seniors want to live there, but I'm willing to give it a try. Considering the rent is extremely cheap.
I lived in Yakima for a while - not a bad place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 05:22 AM

37,455 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
... I have researched this very topic for a full year now and have found dozens of such places in varying climates, so it does exist!
I must agree.

It does exist.

We are comfortable within our pensions, though when I follow threads here on City-Data, most others have 10X greater wealthy than I have.

It would be very difficult to move anywhere that is as low cost and enjoyable as where I am already settled.

This is my 22nd year of retirement.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:30 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
I just learned of our bleak financial future
I am 55, he is 62
We are poor living in Northern Calif
We cannot move into the off-grid home we were just ready to finish building.
Planning to withdraw from my Roth to complete the build starting this week

Hubby ended up in ER due to breathing issues due to working on the home for 2 days.
He's already on a BPAP machine at night to help him breathe. And we live in snow country
We are SO SCREWED. he cannot live there.

In retirement, our actual housing costs would've been only be about $700 a mo.
We'd planned to live on $2260 a month combined income in retirement
Very do-able. Comfortable. Not rich but comfortable enough to be happy
We are so screwed!

Realtor who told us the house can produce a $100k gain at sale.
Applied to our Mortgage- it leaves housing costs about $1500 per month.
$1500 per month versus $2360 Social Security and a 1x year withdraw of 6K? that doesn't work.

DH can barely work as it is.

After deductions, I take home just $1300 a month. This is the best job I could get in the closest town with a 2 hr 20 minute commute. When we bought the house, I worked in a town further away but worked a full 36 hr shift at once. Lost it during COVID when they moved the company much further away. Wintertime, during the snow, it is double this commute. We had the worst winter since 1952 so hopefully this coming winter will be mellow.

No jobs here except seasonal which do not provide a Pension, Medical, etc.
(Gas, car repairs due to winter blizzards, tires, DMV fees, deductions for my 401k, our Medical package, etc)

To take his SS now it's just $1150 per month.
No way could we live on this
At age 66, it's $1560 per mo.

We are so screwed! I sure hope he starts working really soon. We've missed a few house payments and it's difficult to get another job after I am off my shift at 6:30-7pm. I guess I better start looking for an additional job.
You might find a haven in Boquete, Panama.
I know of several ex-pats who relocated there, and are living on fixed incomes.
It's up in the mountains, so it's cooler than the coastal areas. Medical costs are a fraction, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JSWSmO0wEA

One ex-pat opened a bakery "Sugar & Spice" and doing well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeIMW7Vtpdc&t=575s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI27il-wTTo

Last edited by jetgraphics; 05-29-2023 at 06:11 AM..

Old 05-29-2023, 06:04 AM

106,627 posts, read 108,773,903 times
i won’t live anywhere i wouldn’t vacation and panama is not a place on my vacation list

Old 05-29-2023, 06:37 AM

35,058 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Cheap places are almost always cheap for a reason.

I live in a relatively low cost area in northeast TN. The medical care is poor. The area's flagship hospital has been on a consistent decline for the past five years, and is now 1/5 star rated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Services are being cut at numerous area hospitals. If you get anything serious, you better go to Knoxville, which is about two hours away.

We're geographically isolated. We're about an hour and a half from any other metro of consequence. We have a regional airport, but it only flies to Charlotte/Atlanta (where you will generally connect to your actual destination), Dallas, and seasonal destinations to Florida.

If you want to do any kind of meaningful work, there really isn't any here. There are typical low wage part-time jobs you can find anywhere, but nothing higher level.

With the exception of one city, groceries are nothing but a regional grocer, Aldi, Walmart, and Sam's Club. 2/3 area malls are basically out of business or bulldozed. Anything more upper middle class than Target is a no-go - Costco has turned the area down due to "unfavorable demographics." Fancy clothes? Nice grocery stores? Forget it.

It's 80%+ Republican, and mostly "hardcore" at that. If you don't fit that mold, it's hard to find a social group.

Drugs and crime related to drugs are an issue, especially in rural areas. That certainly doesn't make the area promo materials.

I just don't see what someone coming from a more affluent area of the country would see here. Yes, maybe the politics line more closely with yours, and the weather and outdoor opportunities are generally good, but it's a poor area that lacks a lot.

Personally, I think a lot of these pandemic-era moving trends to smaller towns in red states are going to unwind. A lot of that was politically motivated due to things going on at the time that often wasn't thought through very well.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:53 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Cheap places are almost always cheap for a reason.

I live in a relatively low cost area in northeast TN. The medical care is poor. The area's flagship hospital has been on a consistent decline for the past five years, and is now 1/5 star rated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Services are being cut at numerous area hospitals. If you get anything serious, you better go to Knoxville, which is about two hours away.

We're geographically isolated. We're about an hour and a half from any other metro of consequence. We have a regional airport, but it only flies to Charlotte/Atlanta (where you will generally connect to your actual destination), Dallas, and seasonal destinations to Florida.

If you want to do any kind of meaningful work, there really isn't any here. There are typical low wage part-time jobs you can find anywhere, but nothing higher level.

With the exception of one city, groceries are nothing but a regional grocer, Aldi, Walmart, and Sam's Club. 2/3 area malls are basically out of business or bulldozed. Anything more upper middle class than Target is a no-go - Costco has turned the area down due to "unfavorable demographics." Fancy clothes? Nice grocery stores? Forget it.

It's 80%+ Republican, and mostly "hardcore" at that. If you don't fit that mold, it's hard to find a social group.

Drugs and crime related to drugs are an issue, especially in rural areas. That certainly doesn't make the area promo materials.

I just don't see what someone coming from a more affluent area of the country would see here. Yes, maybe the politics line more closely with yours, and the weather and outdoor opportunities are generally good, but it's a poor area that lacks a lot.

Personally, I think a lot of these pandemic-era moving trends to smaller towns in red states are going to unwind. A lot of that was politically motivated due to things going on at the time that often wasn't thought through very well.
Precisely.

Medical care in rural areas is a challenge. Hospitals have a hard time paying their bills when their clients are all on Medicare or Medicaid. Or uninsured.

Rural hospitals are cutting back services, or closing altogether. Medical practices close when the hospital does.

In many low cost-of-living, rural areas, the only person around with any significant medical training is likely to be the local pharmacists.

Not ideal for those who can expect to have increasing medical problems to deal with as they age.

A friend living in a rural area drives two hours, one way, for her chemo treatments.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:55 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
According to statistica.com - 79.5% of those over 65 own the home they live in for Q3 2022 - down from 79.7% last year. The data is by age group.
"Own" = Mortgage free?

Old 05-29-2023, 06:55 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,750,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i won’t live anywhere i wouldn’t vacation and panama is not a place on my vacation list
I just visited Panama and it was lovely, at least the part we saw.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:56 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
I just learned of our bleak financial future
I am 55, he is 62
We are poor living in Northern Calif
We cannot move into the off-grid home we were just ready to finish building.
Planning to withdraw from my Roth to complete the build starting this week

Hubby ended up in ER due to breathing issues due to working on the home for 2 days.
He's already on a BPAP machine at night to help him breathe. And we live in snow country
We are SO SCREWED. he cannot live there.

In retirement, our actual housing costs would've been only be about $700 a mo.
We'd planned to live on $2260 a month combined income in retirement
Very do-able. Comfortable. Not rich but comfortable enough to be happy
We are so screwed!

Realtor who told us the house can produce a $100k gain at sale.
Applied to our Mortgage- it leaves housing costs about $1500 per month.
$1500 per month versus $2360 Social Security and a 1x year withdraw of 6K? that doesn't work.

DH can barely work as it is.

After deductions, I take home just $1300 a month. This is the best job I could get in the closest town with a 2 hr 20 minute commute. When we bought the house, I worked in a town further away but worked a full 36 hr shift at once. Lost it during COVID when they moved the company much further away. Wintertime, during the snow, it is double this commute. We had the worst winter since 1952 so hopefully this coming winter will be mellow.

No jobs here except seasonal which do not provide a Pension, Medical, etc.
(Gas, car repairs due to winter blizzards, tires, DMV fees, deductions for my 401k, our Medical package, etc)

To take his SS now it's just $1150 per month.
No way could we live on this
At age 66, it's $1560 per mo.

We are so screwed! I sure hope he starts working really soon. We've missed a few house payments and it's difficult to get another job after I am off my shift at 6:30-7pm. I guess I better start looking for an additional job.
So why is it that he can't live in in your off-grid home?

Is it his breathing problem?

Old 05-29-2023, 07:25 AM

35,058 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Precisely.

Medical care in rural areas is a challenge. Hospitals have a hard time paying their bills when their clients are all on Medicare or Medicaid. Or uninsured.

Rural hospitals are cutting back services, or closing altogether. Medical practices close when the hospital does.

In many low cost-of-living, rural areas, the only person around with any significant medical training is likely to be the local pharmacists.

Not ideal for those who can expect to have increasing medical problems to deal with as they age.

A friend living in a rural area drives two hours, one way, for her chemo treatments.
I'm always shocked when people recommend very rural areas for older people.

My mom has hip issues. She's going to have to go out of area for a hip replacement. Even basics like that, assuming you can get in, are of much lower quality than in a

Any sort of autoimmune treatment here is negligible. I've probably known five cancer patients fairly closely who have been referred out-of-area, often a half day drive or more away, for treatment.

There are very few ways to get around unless you drive.

Yes, there's a big difference between 60 and 80, but even in their mid-60s, my mom and aunt have health and mobility issues where they are finding problems here. That's not even mentioning the issues with the late 80s grandparents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement