Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 12:34 AM

746 posts, read 497,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No. BIL bought Son a travel trailer and put in in a park for him where BIL pays monthly fees. Bought him a car, brings him food. On and on.
It is a case of the purest form of blackmail - You do this or I won't love you... But it's always been like that between BIL & his son.
BIL will probably die in the classroom teaching chemistry.
Wow that is so sad. I feel sorry for your BIL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I worked until 70. The only benefit I needed was the 401K, which I maxed out. And, I made more than enough to also max out my Roth IRA. Really helped when I finally retired

I kept the health insurance because every Rx, no matter how expensive, was zero dollar co-pay for MrsS and myself

Plus, I loved the job!
Sounds great. If you loved the job then it didn't feel like work most of the time

Old 05-28-2023, 03:49 AM

106,824 posts, read 109,073,990 times
i am going on 8 years of working one day a week teaching motor controls and variable frequency drives at my old company and like it a lot .

only benefit i get is i can throw my entire check in the 401k ….

i probably saved 200k working that one day a week over the 8 years with matching

Old 05-28-2023, 06:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
I wouldn't mind working (?) my great job further into retirement with these benefits:
1) > 50% of the time doing paid travel to very desirable international locations.
2) 5 star accomodations with points galor.
3) 1st class air
4) 40+ days paid vacation
5) frequent sabbaticals up to 12 months duration
6) paid volunteer gigs teaching in schools or doing other community service.
7) stock purchase plan at 50% market value
8) bountiful stock grants
9) 10-20% annual profit sharing
10) worldwide FREE recreation sites for employees and retirees. (Such as chalet in Zermatt, Canal Barge in France, Club Sandwich (MA) ranches in CO and CA...)

Sweet deal, then the world changed.
Good times were finished, so.... Next best thing.... Leave employment - but if a similar situation arose, I would have no problem fitting in a FT job *with benefits

There are 8760 hrs / yr. With WFH (sleep through meetings) + comp time for many 2-3 day commutes / month seems work(?) Would be pretty simple to fit into retirement.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-28-2023 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-28-2023, 06:43 AM

11,148 posts, read 9,787,270 times
I always wondered why my neighbor, who's a retired police officer on a safety pension for a state with a generous pension policy, is still working at another physical job at almost 70 years old. Now I know why.

At a BBQ with the neighbors this week we heard that their second adult son, Chris, who moved out finally with his girlfriend, has finished school. His girlfriend left, so he's moving back to his parent's home, while the apartment his parents pay for sits empty until the end of the lease. Their other son, Mike, already lives at home, having never left, but he works full-time at a low wage and "can't afford his own place", but won't consider moving into Chris's empty place because "it's too far from his work." They said they are also supporting the wife's mom by paying her rent on a SFH because she didn't like the IL place they rented for her, and she isn't happy anymore living in their home. So, they are paying for 3 places to live for all their kids and mom, and he just will have to work forever basically to support this horde, and so that the boys will have insurance until 26. I just internally shake my head, but they just shrug it off.

At one point they had the 2 of them, their 2 sons, one son's best friend, and one of their girlfriends, and the wife's mom all living next door to us. And just about everyone had their own car of course, and no one parks in the garage because it's used for storage, so there were 6 cars parked in the drive and along the street. I'm glad that they're all pretty quiet. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-28-2023 at 07:02 AM..

Old 05-28-2023, 07:20 AM

10,112 posts, read 6,458,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, actually work does not and I stated that one thing for sure is that I would not become a drunken couch potato.................because my drinking days are 3 years and a month behind me now. So if I retire, that is one think I am sure I will not become.

As to "more interesting options", well, that comes from being out in the world of work, so there we go.
Well, if your only interesting options come from being out in the world of work, what will you do to create a fulfilling life for yourself if/when you become unable to work? I would think that with ten acres, a house, and animals to care for you'd have plenty of options for fulfilling activities, but everyone differs.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:54 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,581,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, if your only interesting options come from being out in the world of work, what will you do to create a fulfilling life for yourself if/when you become unable to work? I would think that with ten acres, a house, and animals to care for you'd have plenty of options for fulfilling activities, but everyone differs.
All of those are solitary pursuits and we all need interaction with people to stay mentally healthy. I think Tamara is very smart to think about this now while she’s still working.

Tamara, congratulations on your long sobriety and maybe working part time in your field if possible would be better once you want to retire. Some people have so many hobbies that they easily can fill their time. Not so with me and I had to figure out what to do with all my time which I did of course but it does take thought and effort.

Old 05-28-2023, 05:01 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,887,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
1. If you work mainly for the benefits, are there any other reasons you continue working? Are you going to work until you drop?

2. How much do you think you'd be paying monthly if your employer didn't cover yourself and or your spouse?

Example: My employer requires at least 18 hrs a week of work for benefits

Medical/Dental/Vision/Drug Plan
Free to employee.
$35 a wk for spouse.
Medicare Part B Not required
Save about $320 a month on two Medicare part b's

Includes:
Medical covers ONLY 75% of any emergency. So it may be wise to buy Part B when it's time but we won'

Dental - 1 free exam and x rays
Owe 40% of the cost for anything else to 4k a yr.

Drugs Plan- Max of $10- $20 per prescription. Out of pocket of 3k a yr such as if you need a rare drug

Vision- A set of eyeglasses per yr+an exam. Co pay is $10

AD&D- 1K to 20K depending upon the injury

Death benefit- Flat 10K the first couple yrs, increases to 20k

other benefits but they don't seem worth listing imho

TO answer these questions:
Yes I will work until I drop.
It will save us from buying Medicare Part B's & Supplements
It will keep me fit.
We will always need the extra $ since we will be somewhat poor in retirement, considered low income.
Not poverty level but not much above it but we'll have all we need for sure
There's a set of benefits you neglected to mention.

The benefit of "feeling useful." Don't discount this, as leisure is lethal.

Take away a person's purpose, and you take away part of their soul.

How many times have we seen someone that retired and 2-3 months later, we're at their funeral? (Not counting cops that paint a wall.)

Old 05-28-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
There's a set of benefits you neglected to mention.

The benefit of "feeling useful." Don't discount this, as leisure is lethal.

Take away a person's purpose, and you take away part of their soul.

How many times have we seen someone that retired and 2-3 months later, we're at their funeral? (Not counting cops that paint a wall.)
Yes to feel useful is imtregal. Thanks

Old 05-28-2023, 07:20 PM

13,665 posts, read 9,742,332 times
Nowhere near "traditional" retirement age here, but one reason that I don't pull the proverbial trigger on retiring early, is health insurance. Lower-income people might have options, but others don't, unless it's employer-provided. Whereas there are many aspects of income and expenses that we can tractably control, healthcare seems to be exceptional. We remain dependent on institutional largesse and supervision, be that as employees, or as "benefit recipients" under Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement