Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 06:54 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,080,389 times

Advertisements

I was the same way with airline, hotel and car rental points. Save them for later! Guess what? During Covid, I lost over 2 weeks of free rental car via points because we couldn’t go anywhere, and they refused to change that. We always traveled and rented a car at least twice a year, so I never realized how easily they expired. They were gone when I rented a car by 1 week and noticed no points balance. I should have rented a car for half a day just to keep them, had I been on the ball. I also lost a BOGO free airfare on points for thr same reason.

So we go to Switzerland for 2 weeks later this year, and using all our airline and hotel points and paying for top notch travel wherever we go. I’m done with saving for later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 06:59 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times
we care more about enjoying things now then saving or balances …..

we are out daily doing things and going places with our photography……we do long weekends frequently with frequent eating out or bringing in even if we are out for the day .

i am waiting for delivery on a new porsche macan T …

we saved , invested and script our lives just so we could live better in retirement then we did having to scrimp and save while raising a family

Old 05-27-2023, 07:42 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
I quit trying to save money when I retired, 15 years ago. Not broke yet.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:48 AM

747 posts, read 579,391 times
My entire family, going back generations, was and is frugal, mainly from necessity, but also ingrained habit. I still ask how much things cost, though I can easily afford it, so people think I am cheap. I have no debts, rarely ever did in my life. Easy to tell others to spend their money, not so easy when you have fears of running out. I save large amounts on rent in my abode, but should I move, rent could triple.

Looking back, 50 years-- I wish I had spent more on trips, especially hotels and souvenirs, and on liquor. And clothes. Frugality is like a game--looking for bargains without lowering your decent standards. Beating the store prices. Don't be a snob spending money, I say.

"Money is like water. It seeks its own level" a poster says.. Yes, so does intelligence seek its own level.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:05 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
The worst rainy day is always in the future.

Whenever things are bad, I always say to myself, that this isn't the worst things can be. I feel that things could be worse and I'll get through today because today is not the worst.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:25 AM

25,559 posts, read 17,263,106 times
We save everything we make, then we pay ourselves.

How it works: Everything goes into a money market account - Social Securities, pensions, rental income.
On the first day of the month we transfer out what we need to make us comfortable for that month.

Started like that many years ago when I was a young salesman and was not sure how much I would make.
On occasion it rains in our lives. Once, I had to buy 2 new air conditioning units in back-to-back months. So I just transferred the money over.
The months we need more than we put in are rare. Over the years the money market account has grown to act as a wonderful shock absorber.

Old 05-27-2023, 08:53 AM

3,039 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I quit trying to save money when I retired, 15 years ago. Not broke yet.
I bet you do watch prices. When you buy milk, store brand or national? Bet you take advantage of Sales. Money not spent is money saved.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:02 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
I bet you do watch prices. When you buy milk, store brand or national? Bet you take advantage of Sales. Money not spent is money saved.
Pro tip: You shouldn't make bets when you have no idea of the facts.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:08 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Money is like manure, best when spread around/Old saying

Old 05-27-2023, 12:48 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Some people do successfully manage to be pound-wise, which bestows plenty of leeway to be penny-foolish... an approach to admire, at least by my reckoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement