Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 06:27 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Do you enjoy it when people address you as "Sir" or "Ma'am"? Or do you bristle?

I've noticed that I've been getting called "Sir" often, which wasn't true a few years ago. Are people getting more polite, or am I just looking older? It rattled me recently when a supermarket checker used "Sir" three times during a recent checkout. "Find everything OK, Sir?" "How is your day going, Sir?" "Thank you, Sir!" As if to make a point that she realizes I'm older than her. It's not because I look like a drill sergeant, or an English nobleman. It feels ageist to me although I know she was just trying to be polite, but still...

Can I get away with saying "Please don't call me Sir, it feels ageist"? Or would that just sound like a testy remark from a grumpy old man? I guess I could reply with "Yes, Madam" to a younger woman. That might get the point across if I want to be passive-aggressive.

"Sir"/"Ma'am" seem archaic in this day and age, not to mention they're not "gender-neutral" which could offend some people. But most people probably don't mind it and even like it.
Absolutely, ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 06:33 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Everyone deserves to be treated with respect no matter what age unless they do something not to deserve it.
I agree, people can be polite and respectful to anyone regardless of age, and without having to use honorifics. I think it should be demonstrated by actions, not words.

I don't believe that when someone calls me "Sir" they actually respect me. It's just a custom.

Old 05-19-2023, 06:45 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
I was born in the south. When i say Ma'am or Sir, they are used as words of Respect.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:03 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Somebody has never had to report to a drill sergeant...

I've lived all over the east coast. The words are not "archaic" by any stretch.

Go in a courtroom and a judge gets called "Judge" or "Your Honor." Anything else can get you a reprimand. If you are stopped by a law officer and want to be treated with respect, you start out with "Sir" or "Ma'am." Those are pretty universal uses.

If you are in the south, you ALSO inquire after the health of cashiers and other workers before any other interaction. In the old Bre er Rabbit tales, failure to use the polite form of greeting was an invitation to fisticuffs. I never understood that until I moved to the south.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,403,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

I've lived all over the east coast. The words are not "archaic" by any stretch.

Go in a courtroom and a judge gets called "Judge" or "Your Honor." Anything else can get you a reprimand. If you are stopped by a law officer and want to be treated with respect, you start out with "Sir" or "Ma'am." Those are pretty universal uses.

If you are in the south, you ALSO inquire after the health of cashiers and other workers before any other interaction. In the old Bre er Rabbit tales, failure to use the polite form of greeting was an invitation to fisticuffs. I never understood that until I moved to the south.
Right, interactions with judges and police officers are different from regular folks.

What I've gathered from friends from the South, the friendliness and politeness are a facade. They are said to your face but not heartfelt.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:34 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sir and madam (ma'am) are silly when you think of it, since most people are neither knights nor running brothels.

Um, didn't I tell you...?

Old 05-19-2023, 07:34 PM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
I have never lived in the South. Have no plans to. I can picture people saying things like "Yessuh, Nossuh, Thankee Ma'am." Not where I've lived.

I don't think I've ever called anyone "Sir" or "Ma'am." Except when I was a child.

Before they started calling me "Sir", they didn't use any form of address. Just, "Did you find everything OK?" And most still do that. So when you live someplace where "Sir" and "Ma'am" are not common, you wonder why they start using it with you more.
Are you for real or just acting XYZ?

Old 05-19-2023, 07:36 PM

246 posts, read 123,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Clearly you haven't! Call a drill sergeant Sir or Ma'am and the response you get before you drop to give 10 will be "Who are you calling Sir? I ain't no Sir. I WORK for a living!"
Only officers get called Sir or Ma'am.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:37 PM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
And the adults still say "Daddy", which is what they say in England. To me the whole "sir" and "ma'am" thing is a carryover from 17th-century England. Other parts of the US are less formal.
Daddy is for Lolitas.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:44 PM

246 posts, read 123,876 times
Anyway, as to the original post, I really am so tired of all the "ist"s being tossed around like candy these days. It seems so many people are just looking for ways to be offended. FFS, just stop the insanity already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement