Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 09:57 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,685,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
A question I have related to this thread = why do some people use age as a measuring point for where you no longer need to care about your appearance? I see some people in this thread basically saying this and I wonder when their attitude changed and how far will they take it, like would they go out with food stains on the front of their shirt too?

I get it with physical limitations, but it doesn't seem like an opinion shared by all senior citizens since I have seen plenty who appear to make more effort than others to dress up even if the fashion is a bit dated. I used to always see this one old guy in our supermarket and he was great, even in peak of summer always had this tweed jacket with nice slacks and penny loafers pushing his cart around.
Good points, we live in a country that prides itself on personal freedoms rather than bothering with any notions of conformity. The American sartorial norms have long washed away where I live, grungy sleepwear, or sweatshirts and pants easily suffice as standard wear for shopping, dining out, at the theater, and even funerals and weddings. But it's not limited to clothing, no, these same people live in squalor, cars on the front lawns, heavy auto repair work being done on the driveway, junk strewn on the totality of the property. In that vein it's easy to see that a good portion of America cares little about appearances, age has little to do with it. I'd add that many seniors may be experiencing health issues that cause them to not care about much more than survival.

One's standards of dress seem to reflect more than just a choice of what to wear, it seems to be connected to one's pride, not to mention our own personal take on one's sense of what is appropriate. The Dylan line that you "don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" sums up my own view of those who seem clueless about--everything..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 10:25 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Iam the most casual of dressers but to me, the only places tank tops are appropriate or look okay on men are 1) working in the yard, 2) at the beach or park, 3) camping or boating, 4) at the gym, 5) lazing about at home. Otherwise, they look sloppy, and the underarm hair can look gross and/or unkempt.
Well that's pretty much where he wears so am glad it meets with approval. Dh has almost no body hair so that is not an issue.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-18-2023, 10:46 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,729,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Dayum you failed right out of the blocks.

Cargo shorts are definitely not in style, they aren't as horrible as cargo pants but anything cargo that isn't part of a designated work uniform screams "I haven't updated my look in decades."

Yeah it's a fine line, you don't want to look dated but also don't want to be the 40something guy dressed like a skateboarder and wearing a backwards ball cap. My wife showed me some website on this subject once (I think it was a hint because I had a Led Zeppelin t-shirt on) I'll try to find it and post it here.

The style experts do not agree with you re cargo shorts.

https://mensflair.com/mens-shorts-outfits/

Old 05-18-2023, 10:47 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,248,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well that's pretty much where he wears so am glad it meets with approval. Dh has almost no body hair so that is not an issue.

We'll take your word for that last part.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:58 AM

5,668 posts, read 3,176,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think they would still draw a line at food stains. If they notice them.

If you're now living in Spain (wasn't it recently Japan?) you would see that Europeans care more about their appearance than Americans as they age. At least it used to be that way, not sure if it still is. It felt like they had not just more style but more dignity and self-respect. Of course there's the stereotype of the tacky American tourist in Europe that everyone can spot from a mile away. Why do so many Americans dress like slobs?
When you're packing for a week's vacation in Europe, and space is limited, how SHOULD we dress?

Old 05-18-2023, 11:46 AM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Me too - but not the price tag. I just can't get over the price tag. A hundred bucks for a casual shirt??? No way.
Try good Western shirts:>)

Old 05-18-2023, 01:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,595,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
The style experts do not agree with you re cargo shorts.

https://mensflair.com/mens-shorts-outfits/
Well we could each spend all day finding "experts" that agree with us.

https://thefineyounggentleman.com/st...-cargo-shorts/
Quote:
As noted, there are times when cargo shorts are acceptable. For instance, if they are part of a uniform. The ambulance company that I volunteer at requires that all shorts worn for summer uniform be cargo shorts. It is not my favorite policy, but I adhere to it. The other time I can see them being acceptable is during hiking or similar outdoor activity. These are both situations in which items and tools may need to be accessed in a expeditious manner. But neither of these are situations represent times

I must admit, there was a point in time when I wore cargo shorts. I was about 13 and in middle school. The late 90’s/early 2000’s were a particularly bad time for men’s style. In my young age, I made mistakes. We all have at some point. Fortunately, there is a chance for redemption. A chance to better ourselves. A chance at self-improvement.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...-shorts-2017-5
Quote:
Cargo pocketed shorts are the single worst item a man can wear in the spring and summer. Yes, we're willing to go that far. We feel that strongly about it. Many men are finally understanding that cargo shorts are a scourge, and are buying fewer of them.

Last August, market-research firm NPD Group told the Wall Street Journal that sales of the derided shorts had fallen over the course of the year. It marked the first time sales had fallen in the last decade, the group said.

This was a turning point in the debate over the late '90s fashion staple that has proved more resilient than most, like a bacterium that has become resistant to antibiotics. Though the shorts enjoyed popularity through the 2000s and the first half of this decade, they become increasingly out-of-fashion with every passing year.
https://www.ties.com/blog/10-things-...d-stop-wearing
Quote:
Cargo shorts and pants have never been a great look, but for some reason, the trend won’t seem to die. Let’s not even talk about those cargo pants that transform INTO shorts. And what are you keeping in all those pockets anyway? The entire discography of Limp Bizkit on cassette? Your five favorite Goosebumps novels? A six pack of Crystal Pepsi? Your prized pog collection? Tater tots? Another pair of cargo shorts?

Old 05-18-2023, 01:35 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
When you're packing for a week's vacation in Europe, and space is limited, how SHOULD we dress?
I don't know, but Europeans who travel to the U.S. seem to manage without looking sloppy or frumpy, but most are not overweight or obese so that probably makes being comfortable easier

I personally think that as Americans have gotten fatter, they have also become sloppier in how they dress regardless of their age including going to the grocery store in pajamas and slippers. I used to see that in SoCal occasionally, lol. I was always dying to say to someone dressed like that, excuse me ma'am, but do you know you forgot to change clothes before you left the house?

Last edited by marino760; 05-18-2023 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-18-2023, 01:40 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
I've never been into sweat pants. I tired leggings and no. I stick to soft boyfriend jeans during the winter and knee length shorts in the summer. If I haven't had a pedicure, closed shoes. Of course better clothing when attending family things - mass, weddings, funerals.

I do put on makeup if I am leaving the house.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:47 PM

249 posts, read 125,855 times
My general style rules are:
1. Keep it simple
2. Have a comfortable fit
3. Be machine washable
4. Not require ironing

I like to wear simple styles, like a-line or fit-and-flare dresses, or pull-on slim fit pants with tunics. I tend to stick to neutral colors (black, white, tan, navy) but in the summer I like corals, no loud patterns, little to no accessorizing, no layering, limited jewelry (maybe just earrings, sometimes a bracelet). I think you can't go wrong if you keep it classic and simple, but that's what suits me. Clothing should reflect the wearer's personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement