Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 09:03 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not weird...the banks are playing the float.
I figured that is what was happening. But I was always under the impression banks were not permitted to hold government checks, and they didn't hold my SS checks when they were coming in on the second Wednesday of every month.

But now it seems those checks are coming in several days before that second Wednesday, and the bank shows the checks as pending until they're posted on the 2nd Wednesday.

Nothing's changed, it's the same SS check that's been going into the same account since August 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 09:06 PM

486 posts, read 654,411 times
I bank with SOFI. My SS deposit is due the 4th Wednesday of the month. It hits my SOFI account the Friday before, i.e., April's payment was due to hit on 4/26 and actually was deposited on 4/21. I go in and transfer the whole amount to my savings account that pays 4.25% interest (vs the checking at 1.2%) until the first when I transfer money back to cover my mortgage etc. It gives me 5 extra days of interest. May not seem like much, but it adds up over time. Every little bit helps these days. SOFI doesn't put the payment as pending. The whole amount is available as soon as it hits on Friday.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:26 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
DH signed up late for SS - He turned 62 on Feb 10th. 2nd Wednesday of April and May is when it hits our bank so far.

Same for me. I get it the second Wednesday of the month, it is never showing earlier then that.

I use Bank of America for my SS. We now bank with TD bank for our main accounts. Been debating having my SS deposit at TD bank, but have not done so yet. BOA has a "small loan" option called balance assist where you can borrow up to $500, six times a year for a low fee of $5, repaid in three equal installments. It's very easy to borrow, using the app, type balance assist in the search box, it will link to balance assist request form. You will know within a minute or two if they will lend the money, if they do, you click ok to start the loan transfer, the money is in your account within minutes. Start to finish is under 10 minutes.

Old 05-17-2023, 11:49 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
<snip>What I do notice is that the bank seems to be holding those checks ( as pending transactions) until that Wednesday, when they are posted to the account. Wierd.
Honestly, that is how direct deposit has been for decades now. I noticed a pattern in the long string of numbers when I got my paychecks direct deposited on a Friday that the bank actually would receive the funds on the previous Wednesday. Now the banks got to play the 'float' and that is probably why they started offering free accounts for those who receive direct deposit.

Old 05-17-2023, 02:20 PM

486 posts, read 654,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Same for me. I get it the second Wednesday of the month, it is never showing earlier then that.

I use Bank of America for my SS. We now bank with TD bank for our main accounts. Been debating having my SS deposit at TD bank, but have not done so yet. BOA has a "small loan" option called balance assist where you can borrow up to $500, six times a year for a low fee of $5, repaid in three equal installments. It's very easy to borrow, using the app, type balance assist in the search box, it will link to balance assist request form. You will know within a minute or two if they will lend the money, if they do, you click ok to start the loan transfer, the money is in your account within minutes. Start to finish is under 10 minutes.
Bank of America is a criminal ripoff.

If you go with SOFI, you can pay your bills online. Should you overdraw the checking account they automatically transfer funds FREE from your SOFI savings account. They give you free checks if you really need paper checks to pay a bill (like when I pay the lawn guy). You can set up autopay for your bills. Your checking account earns 1.2% interest and your savings account earns 4.2% interest, if you have a direct deposit every month. They even pay you up to $250 (depending on direct deposit amount) after you open the account and set up the direct deposit. A SOFI credit card gives you 2% back on purchases, if you decide to get one.

Why would you pay $5 for Bank of America to decide to lend you a paltry $500? Do you still pay the $5 if in their infinite wisdom they decide you're not eligible?

Old 05-18-2023, 01:21 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not weird...the banks are playing the float.

Do they banks actually have the funds, or just the notification?

Old 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
the banks are advancing the funds

Old 05-18-2023, 01:49 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Here is what my credit union says about it:

Get Paid Up To Two Days Early With [CU name]
Many employers, businesses, and government entities use direct deposit as their main way of paying employees or sending money to individuals. This convenient, hassle-free option sends a paycheck, deposit, or government benefit straight to a payee’s account of choice. And with [CU Name] you could even receive your paycheck up to two days early.*

*Early payment of funds is not guaranteed and is subject to when [CU Name] receives the funds from the originator.

So that tells me that they are receiving the funds not just advancing them.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:55 PM

3,225 posts, read 1,606,559 times
It must be a future dated payment message, and some banks are applying it early.

I’ve worked on bank payments systems, and the ones I worked on would allow future dated requests.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:14 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
Well, rats. Ours are still coming on Wednesdays. In fact, mine was deposited just 2 days ago.

I'm wondering if it depends on the size of the bank. We use TD, which is actually based in Canada, but then someone mentioned their credit union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement