Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 04:04 PM

42 posts, read 44,467 times

Advertisements

Hi
My wife and I are requesting all opinions. Has anyone done snowbirding and either relocate to a tropical climate and/or headed to a milder "halfback" 4 season climate ? Is anyone else debating the same thing ? We are living very far north in Michigan and were hoping to hear about other peoples experience/opinions. We have a grandchild in North Carolina but I have heard about people "babychasing" and that could mean constantly moving. Please ALL feedback welcome. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 04:48 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Just to be clear on terminology and what you have in mind.

You mention "relocation", do you mean permanent 12 month relocation? Snowbirding is someone who only heads south for the winter months. Also, a "Halfback" is someone who moves too far south, can't handle the heat an humidity but does not want to head back as far north as they were originally from, so they head only half the distance back north.

If you move from your location to either Florida or the Carolinas permanently, you are neither a Snowbird or a Halfback. And if you Snowbird either of the locations, you are still not a Halfback, that would only occur if went through the moves listed above.

So when you mention one vs. the other, I am assuming you have one or the other in mind, and NOT permanent relocation?

Old 05-01-2023, 05:17 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,231,767 times
I met a couple that have a condo in FL and a condo in SC..both at the beach.
In the winter/spring they are in FL and in the summer/fall in SC.

Now that's my kind of snowbirding.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post
We are living very far north in Michigan... Has anyone done snow-birding and...
What you need are people from S. Florida who want a summer getaway spot like the UP.
Then you find the twenty among those thousands with the comparable spot for you come winter.
You can stop in NC for a few days Fall and Spring as you transit.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:29 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
I have known many snowbirds in my 38 years in Florida. It is very common for them to tire of maintaining 2 homes, and they end up selling the one where they keep the snow shovel.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:05 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
I would say, I have been a half-backer; I am originally from NY, I moved to Florida for quite a number of years and in 2016 moved halfway back, residing in NC. However at this time, I spend more than half my time living outside of the US than in the country.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:52 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
I was able to move to a variety of locales during my career so we checked out an assortment of possible retirement areas.
We lived in the Ozarks and Florida for about 5 years each and neither was the Goldilocks site for us.
We visited extensively in South Texas and the hill country.
We found our best fit at the foot of the Smoky Mountains near Maryville, Tennessee.

It is too humid for a lot of folks but it is 4 seasons and relatively mild during most of the winter.

We found Florida to be much too humid and the summer sun made it too hot to be outside during most of the day. South Texas is also hot and humid and WINDY.

The perfect spots have all been discovered and are crowded and expensive.

If you have the capital and a serious travel Jones you can buy a motor home and just chase the 72 degree weather.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:09 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,416,572 times
I rent a four bedroom three bath ocean front condo in North Myrtle Beach for January and February to escape the cold and snow in PA. Condo is fully outfitted even sheets and towels. For the two months it runs me $5,300. During the summer that is what a week rental runs. Weather runs from the mid 40’s to mid 60’s, good golfing weather and off season green fees. When the suns out a walk on the beach is more than pleasant. Plenty of happy hours with cheap drinks and apps that serve as dinner. Works for me.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:53 AM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have known many snowbirds in my 38 years in Florida. It is very common for them to tire of maintaining 2 homes, and they end up selling the one where they keep the snow shovel.
Yep, I know more than a few that have done that.

If you are used to a home and community ties snow birding isn't for you. You will always be one of those and not one of us.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:28 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
I'll stay in New England. Love! LOVE! the 4 seasons. cant imagine living in Florida. could never stand vacationing there. But each to their own. Snow doesnt bother me. Winter is a great season too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement