Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 09:54 AM

6,421 posts, read 11,625,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Techniques, not technics.

At age 73 I do not need a class on how to use a phone.
Maybe a class on how to code an app, but I am too lazy.
This thread is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 10:01 AM

8,393 posts, read 6,494,944 times
I was late getting a iphone and when I finally did I was so proud that I had finally joined the rest of the world that I used to carry it so everyone could see it. Now I carry it in my pants pocket.
I read that Cricket was helpful and low cost so I went there and got Cricket. And the guy was very helpful getting me going. I recoment a iphone as there quality made, last foreaver, are supported the longest, and everyone has one so friends can help you with questions. They sure did me.
See what Cricket is selling a new iphone SE for, that's the lowest price quality new phone. Getting a carrier that has a store sure seems better to me than online only.
It's great for senors to learn, keeps you from becoming a dummy.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:13 AM

4,076 posts, read 2,165,412 times
Thanks, Galaxy. But unlimited data isn’t truly unlimited, right? There is a certain amount and then it slows down, correct? Is it still usable, like to watch videos, at the slower speed?

Old 12-04-2021, 11:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 10,326,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
You may not be able to, just like when you turn your phone on, you're always going to have to use the password, a finger print or your face.

You can look for the three dots at the top right when your voicemail screen is up. If there isn't any, forget this option. If there is, tap the three dots and a pull down menu will appear.
Look at the options, tap on one to see if it gives you the option to turn off password.

If none of these options work, or theres no three dots, you can try go to settings and look at the options there. Explore each option. Just be careful not to undo anything already set, unless you want to change what that setting will change.

If nothing else, you can go to settings>help and type in your question or read topics ready available.

You can also Google your phone +how to turn off messages password.

My last phone was a Samsung, but I didn't have a password for messages. Nor my Motorola.

UNLESS you mean you want to get voicemail WITHOUT signing into your phone with your password?
In that case you can't.
You'll always have to sign in to your phone to access anything on it.
It's not like having an answering machine on your land phone that you can just press play.

Anyone else have this particular problem?
no - but I do sign in with face ID and also have a 6 digit code

As for voicemail - my new IPhone 12 sets it up in a text version. So neat - you can read the "voice-mail". Love it.

Old 12-04-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Thank you for that correction!
I couldn't fir the life of me think of the correct word, and knew screen saver was not correct.

See, even my older age affects my memory!

Yes screen PROTECTOR is an extra piece of glass that can Save your glass screen from scratch and damage.
It's best to order it right away and they'll apply it for you before using your phone.

Screen saver on your smartphone is the same as computer, your screen goes dark after an interval of non use.
If it goes dark quicker than you'd like, you can go to: settings>display then look for the time setting for your screen to go dark, it may be called something different on each smart phone.

BTW, you may find each phone uses a different word for something than a different phone, but still does the same.

The "settings" button is always a good place to look at all the options, and all the sub options to set or adjust your phone.
Some settings are factory set, and you have the opportunity to change that factory setting.
Each option should give you a quick message about what that setting dies if you opt to change it.

There is always a Help button, preloaded with common questions, or you can type a question, it may or may not answer your question.
Often helpful for simple question, but more complex may not have an answer.

It's just like preset apps may be in various locations set by factory, you might have it in a different place on a new phone, but once you know how to move an app shortcut button, you can move it to where you want, to customize your screen.

Please keep up the thread!

It may be meaningful to some and, or it may be meaningless if you already know the basics.

Best
I always buy the OtterBox brand of phone protectors.

Old 12-04-2021, 11:28 AM

I do have an iphone, but mostly use it for texting, some phone calls,

I like doing social media and browsing on my desktop computer. I don't even like my laptop.

I need the BIG screen. - lol

oh I do like to check the weather app

Old 12-04-2021, 12:28 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,523,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks, Galaxy. But unlimited data isn’t truly unlimited, right? There is a certain amount and then it slows down, correct? Is it still usable, like to watch videos, at the slower speed?
I have T-Mobile 55+ plan ($35/m/line, so spouse and I pay $70/m) for UNLIMITED TALK TEXT AND DATA.

I just checked my phone...I've used 9.64 gb data, and I have 22 days left on my month.
That doesn't include what data spouse has used, who is out now.
The highest I've seen my usage to be was 29.2 GB in a month, and that still doesn't include what spouse used that month.
We have no cable internet connection, nor wifi at home.
We use strictly data, absolutely unlimited, at same speed at 29gb as at 1 gb.

If you also have a table on your plan, and a spouse on that plan...with say, just 2 gb "Free data", ANY data you use, plus ANY data spouse uses PLUS any data you use on your table count towards your data limit.
Using data after that free limit will cost you money or you have no data service.
That's why an unlimited data plan is well worth it!

When you start out, you might not use much data, but as your usage grows, or you are away from wifi, you will start using data, and can learn how much you use by going to settings>network and looking. That's how I got the info I presented ABOVE.

No, I don't experience any "slowdown" at all.

Now, right now is Dec, prime time to order Christmas gifts online, make travel arrangements, maybe contact family to finalize plans.
So, I MIGHT experience a little"slowness", but I would on a computer connected to the cable internet.

It's like trying to load an airline reservation site just prior to Thanksgiving (and hope none crash!)
But, if you've seen the news, on such days, the airlines websites or "system" may crash.

So, no, I don't experience any slowdown, except those busy "web days".

And yes, I can stream free movies, tv shows, or clips from them on my phone.
YouTube has both free and "buy or rent" movies.

There's not even a slowdown or a stall to load next segment.. except maybe busy internet days, and even then it's minor or short.

And you can get larger screens that magnify the small screen, or possibly Bluetooth or hard wire to a larger tv screen, just like you can wire your laptop to a tv monitor bigger than the laptops screen.

Bluetooth is an amazing wireless way to connect to external things that are Bluetooth enabled.

My smartphone is Bluetoothed to both my 2019 Dodge Grand caravan, and to my 2016 Honda HRV so I can take or make calls through my vehicle radio while driving.
I also have a all Bluetooth speaker, I can play the movie soundtrack on the speaker while I watch for a better sound experience.
And when I play music on my smartphone, I usually play it with great sound quality through a Bluetooth speaker, about 5-6" long, 1 1/2-2" tall, and about an inch and half wide. Amazing sound quality with Bose!

Best

Last edited by galaxyhi; 12-04-2021 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-04-2021, 12:29 PM

6,132 posts, read 3,841,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I do have an iphone, but mostly use it for texting, some phone calls,

I like doing social media and browsing on my desktop computer. I don't even like my laptop.

I need the BIG screen. - lol

oh I do like to check the weather app
Same with me. Having a big screen monitor and a keyboard is MUCH handier and easier to use than a smart phone. Some people (ME for example) have no desire to be "connected" everywhere we go. I value my privacy and don't want people interrupting me all the time with calls and text messages.

It's my opinion that the biggest benefit of smart phones is that they allow a person to do personal tasks while presumably working. In other words, they're getting paid to text with friends or browse the internet. I'm retired, so my time is MY TIME 24/7 and I spend it however I wish.

If I'm playing golf or going somewhere for some activity, I don't want to be bothered or distracted by other people. I do carry a cell phone in the car or golf bag to make calls in case of emergency, but other than an emergency, the call can wait.

Yes, I know that some people lead totally different lives from what I do, so they make choices that are different from mine, but just because THEY want to be connected/reachable 24/7 everywhere they go doesn't mean that *I* need to do so.

That said, I'm getting a smart phone in a few days, but it's not because I want to. It's because Tracfone is no longer going to support my current flip phone starting in February, so I can get a free smart phone from them (special promotion) right now and I have one ordered.

If my circumstances/situation were different, I might find a smart phone to be invaluable, but being that my time is MY time, I don't see my use of a phone changing appreciably even after I get the smart phone. In fact, I'll probably find it less desirable than my flip phone.

Old 12-04-2021, 12:47 PM

3,100 posts, read 1,571,167 times
Dont forget that when the wireless phone cos do away with 3 G many may need a new phone. Verizon says the end of 2022, other cos are sooner. So be prepared to buy a new one to stay connected!

Old 12-04-2021, 01:40 PM

23,655 posts, read 70,678,985 times
Quote:
I have T-Mobile 55+ plan ($35/m/line, so spouse and I pay $70/m) for UNLIMITED TALK TEXT AND DATA.

I just checked my phone...I've used 9.64 gb data, and I have 22 days left on my month.
That doesn't include what data spouse has used, who is out now.
The highest I've seen my usage to be was 29.2 GB in a month, and that still doesn't include what spouse used that month.
We have no cable internet connection, nor wifi at home.
We use strictly data, absolutely unlimited, at same speed at 29gb as at 1 gb.

If you also have a table on your plan, and a spouse on that plan...with say, just 2 gb "Free data", ANY data you use, plus ANY data spouse uses PLUS any data you use on your table count towards your data limit.
Using data after that free limit will cost you money or you have no data service.
That's why an unlimited data plan is well worth it!

When you start out, you might not use much data, but as your usage grows, or you are away from wifi, you will start using data, and can learn how much you use by going to settings>network and looking. That's how I got the info I presented ABOVE.

No, I don't experience any "slowdown" at all.

Now, right now is Dec, prime time to order Christmas gifts online, make travel arrangements, maybe contact family to finalize plans.
So, I MIGHT experience a little"slowness", but I would on a computer connected to the cable internet.

It's like trying to load an airline reservation site just prior to Thanksgiving (and hope none crash!)
But, if you've seen the news, on such days, the airlines websites or "system" may crash.

So, no, I don't experience any slowdown, except those busy "web days".

And yes, I can stream free movies, tv shows, or clips from them on my phone.
YouTube has both free and "buy or rent" movies.

There's not even a slowdown or a stall to load next segment.. except maybe busy internet days, and even then it's minor or short.

And you can get larger screens that magnify the small screen, or possibly Bluetooth or hard wire to a larger tv screen, just like you can wire your laptop to a tv monitor bigger than the laptops screen.

Bluetooth is an amazing wireless way to connect to external things that are Bluetooth enabled.

My smartphone is Bluetoothed to both my 2019 Dodge Grand caravan, and to my 2016 Honda HRV so I can take or make calls through my vehicle radio while driving.
I also have a all Bluetooth speaker, I can play the movie soundtrack on the speaker while I watch for a better sound experience.
And when I play music on my smartphone, I usually play it with great sound quality through a Bluetooth speaker, about 5-6" long, 1 1/2-2" tall, and about an inch and half wide. Amazing sound quality with Bose!

Best
Hmmm... I use tracfone, and it is easy to shut down data except when I am using it. "Push" news, constant "updates" and other crap can use up my data without any benefit to me if I don't. The talk and text on the yearly plan is sufficient for me. There is only one cell tower "near" me, but it is far enough away that signal has been spotty, even with a roof mounted booster. It is slightly improved recently, so they may have put new equipment on the tower. Only now am I interested in anything other than basic cell.

My internet is through Viasat, and I have been having problems including multi-day outages, so I had to resort to the hotspot ability of my cell phone to access the internet on my computers. It was quite easy to do, much like setting up a connection to a wifi router - select hotspot on the phone, have the computer do a search for wifi networks, select the one provided by the phone, find the passcode on the phone and use it to log into the hotspot from the computer.

My data plan on Viasat has a low data limit during normal hours, and I have noticed in the past few months that even though my browsing habits are light, the data usage has been creeping up due to the bloat and auto-loading videos of websites. I can buy extra data from Viasat at $10/gig, or from tracfone for $5/gig. Three guesses who will get my money?

A tip for anyone getting a new phone - if you want to minimize spam calls, tell the cell company that you want a phone number in Wyoming or Vermont. You will instantly recognize those spammers trying to fool you with local numbers, and those area codes get far less spam than those in densely populated areas. My last call attempt from a spammer was in September, and the last one using the area code I use was in June. When a call comes through with the actual area code of this local area, I am almost certain that it is legit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement