Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 04:18 PM

7,412 posts, read 6,571,094 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

Was fortunate to be in a position to retire early and comfortably at age 59.5 by choice and in great physical shape. Early on in my retirement a year or two ago when people asked what I do for a living and I replied that I am retired I got strange looks from some--as if I was lazy and/or unemployed by choice.

When asked today, I recently began telling people I'm an Equity Day Trader (I do manage a portion of my retirement portfolio, besides having it professionally managed) and Consultant (I've been approached by a couple of companies who have occasional opportunities from others willing to pay for an hour or two phone conversation with me based on my Consumer Packaged Goods and Technology background)...either way, it sounds like I'm still a productive member of society even though I am happily retired.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-30-2021 at 04:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 04:35 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,524,609 times
You look too young is one reason. But I found when I retired at 57 others in the same age range ask the question are a bit taken aback, the likely reason....... they were a bit envious.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:38 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,677,789 times
That doesn’t sound particularly early.

Also you can still be a productive member of society even if you aren’t on payroll.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:43 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,832,222 times
We'll need a picture of that 'strange look' so we can judge for ourselves.

All I ever got was high fives... and people saying "livin' the dream'.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:48 PM

7,412 posts, read 6,571,094 times
yeah, that was my guess...they (some older, some younger) claimed they weren't judging me but many--not all--of them probably wish they were in my position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
You look too young is one reason. But I found when I retired at 57 others in the same age range ask the question are a bit taken aback, the likely reason....... they were a bit envious.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:46 PM

3,275 posts, read 3,939,968 times
Same thing happenes to us, we're in our 50s, and retired.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:58 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,399,147 times
When strangers ask me what I do I tell them I'm a pimp. I look a lot like Radar O'Reilly and the looks on their faces is priceless.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:05 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,181,664 times
Well I retired almost exactly a month ago, at the ripe age of 56 and 1 month; the nearly universal reaction I get from acquaintances (who don't know how old I am) is somewhere between surprise and incredulousness - quickly followed by "how old are you?!!??"

I assume a large part of the reason for this is that I still look as if I'm in my early 40s (before Microsoft pulled the plug on how-old.net sometime in the past year, I'd regularly upload recent pictures of myself to check, and the results were in-line with what my friends and acquaintances guess my age to be).

After that, though, the reaction is pretty much congratulations and sometimes a tinge of jealousy/wishfulness to be able to do the same.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:16 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,967,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Greetings:

Was fortunate to be in a position to retire early and comfortably at age 59.5 by choice and in great physical shape. Early on in my retirement a year or two ago when people asked what I do for a living and I replied that I am retired I got strange looks from some--as if I was lazy and/or unemployed by choice.

When asked today, I recently began telling people I'm an Equity Day Trader (I do manage a portion of my retirement portfolio, besides having it professionally managed) and Consultant (I've been approached by a couple of companies who have occasional opportunities from others willing to pay for an hour or two phone conversation with me based on my Consumer Packaged Goods and Technology background)...either way, it sounds like I'm still a productive member of society even though I am happily retired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
That doesn’t sound particularly early.

Also you can still be a productive member of society even if you aren’t on payroll.
Once one is retired, why would anyone expect to be a productive member of society? I produced plenty during my working years, and I saved so I could live an unproductive life in retirement. Very happy being unproductive for 11 years.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:20 PM

1,205 posts, read 937,062 times
I retired at 55 and can’t remember anyone having any notable reactions. But part of that probably was retiring from the federal government in the dc metro area. At the time, lots of employees my age were in the old retirement system, as was I, and in an area flooded with civil service employees, retirement at 55 was nothing unusual. Then a few months after retiring, I moved into my retirement home quite a distance from DC, and knowing nobody there, there was nobody to wonder much about my age or circumstances. By the time I got to know people better, I was a bit older, and the basic details of my retirement didn’t really come up much. I have had lots of conversations with other retirees living here about many of the topics we discuss on this forum, which we can ponder and discuss for hours, and which is sort of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement