Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 05:03 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of common experiences I never had, but they aren’t necessarily ones I want!

For example, changing a diaper or—having a baby in the first place.
Or getting thrown into jail.
Or attending a bachelorette party.
Or flunking a class.

If you are asking about common experiences I would actually want to try, these are a few:

Windsurfing.
Visiting Australia and New Zealand.
Eating old-school roast beef with real Yorkshire pudding.
Galloping a horse bareback, in control (I’ve only cantered one time and loved it).
Sailing a small boat waaaaay out there, with proper training of course.

Three of the above involve quite a learning curve. Easier to get thrown into jail, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 07:03 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Common, everyday experiences you've never had...

happy marriage
recreational drugs. never have, never will.
never had a pet dog or cat. (i did have a pair of lovebirds for a few years).

Old 10-10-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Went to a prom
Got married
Played poker
Wore a cast
Had a nose bleed
Bought a house
*Never sat around a beach campfire at night while someone was playing the guitar and everyone was singing! That looks like fun.
bold above that one i have done, dozens of times, and yes it is fun.

what i have NOT done, and for someone reason had some fantasy i would do but it never happened for a whole bunch of reasons, is me playing the piano surrounded by my joyful happy children singing songs together. i can't even say that now with a straight face because i bust out laughing, knowing me, knowing my sons, knowing the friction points in our family, not to mention the lack of musical talent and lack of desire to sing together at all, much less with mom and with their brothers. yikes!

Old 10-10-2021, 07:32 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Going through my various famous crime novels (as I downsize the library), I can just picture them having me up on the stand, for the jury, asking me if I have experience in this or that. The thing is, yes......in so many ways.

Now some of it comes down to that we see the world in different ways to what is being asked. We were going through the police department application in which the question was "ever been in possession of illicit drugs" with a long list of words of what does possession mean. I asked what about as official duty (my ship busted a drug boat)......and the answer was then they weren't illicit drugs. Up to that point, I thought illicit meant illegal but illicit means you have no authority to have them.

But as far as drugs go, to the best of my knowledge, I have never abused them or had illicit ones.

Everything else, practically, well, that is open to interpretation. Take that one of riding in an ambulance. I probably have and even been a patient in one........I might have been, a very low grade one but never the less..........in a MEDEVAC as a child (flown on another one, at least).

Old 10-10-2021, 09:12 PM

i was nearly 50 yrs old before i'd ever been in an ambulance.
and within 6 months i was in two accidents that required me being taken to the hospital by ambulance twice. one of those was in a remote wilderness area (i was working there) during a snowstorm, and it took 3 different ambulances to get me to the emergency room. i remember being in the ambulance hooked up to some bags of fluids and the ambulance was sliding all over the road because of the ice. at one point they had to pull over and stop because the visibility was so poor. i remember through the haze thinking two things: one) that this was the first time i'd ever been in an ambulance; and two) wondering about an ambulance on the way to the hospital getting in a wreck and that would make some story. then when i was released from the hospital a couple days later, still icy conditions, still snowstorms, catching a bus to get the 75 miles back to where i was living, and the roads were so bad, they dropped me about a mile away, and i had to walk the last mile, in the snow, in the storm, icy conditions still, trying not to fall, and having terrible balance because i had my arm and shoulder wrapped and bound to my body. it was crazy.

fortunately no ambulances since then. that was a rough few months.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:09 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I’m not sure what other people’s ordinary experiences are , I guess it depends on economics, geography and culture.
I’ve never been skiing or in a hot air balloon.
I’ve never been to a football game
I’ve never eaten caviar
I’ve never snorted cocaine
I’ve never had a pedicure
I’ve never had a manicure

Ditto to all of those, except football... I've been to a couple of games (as a spectator, not a player).

Old 10-10-2021, 10:18 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Had a kid

Ridden a motorcycle - my mother told us we better never ever do that! lol

Old 10-10-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Went to a prom
Got married
Played poker
Wore a cast
Had a nose bleed
Bought a house
*Never sat around a beach campfire at night while someone was playing the guitar and everyone was singing! That looks like fun.
oh the beach campfire at night is so nice - do it! Don't roll your eyes - lol

Old 10-10-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i was nearly 50 yrs old before i'd ever been in an ambulance.
and within 6 months i was in two accidents that required me being taken to the hospital by ambulance twice. one of those was in a remote wilderness area (i was working there) during a snowstorm, and it took 3 different ambulances to get me to the emergency room. i remember being in the ambulance hooked up to some bags of fluids and the ambulance was sliding all over the road because of the ice. at one point they had to pull over and stop because the visibility was so poor. i remember through the haze thinking two things: one) that this was the first time i'd ever been in an ambulance; and two) wondering about an ambulance on the way to the hospital getting in a wreck and that would make some story. then when i was released from the hospital a couple days later, still icy conditions, still snowstorms, catching a bus to get the 75 miles back to where i was living, and the roads were so bad, they dropped me about a mile away, and i had to walk the last mile, in the snow, in the storm, icy conditions still, trying not to fall, and having terrible balance because i had my arm and shoulder wrapped and bound to my body. it was crazy.

fortunately no ambulances since then. that was a rough few months.
Was in an ambulance once - so embarrassing.

I was in the military. I had been on meds for some infection and I had a bad reaction

I had gone to lunch with co-workers to the dining hall. I was in line with my tray - cafeteria style. I felt woozy. Next thing I know, all I hear is clanging noises. My tray and silverware hit the floor.

Thankfully there were medical people behind me in line and one caught me before I hit the floor.

They called the base ambulance. I was put on a stretcher and wheeled all through the dining hall to the ambulance.

I was okay. But from then on - no more of that antibiotic.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Wow, 19 posts and not too many things I haven't done. The main ones seemed to involve:

tattoos,
piercings,
pedicures

I had to laugh about the one about going to a football game since I played in one in front of a crowd a few days ago. And yes, I'm old enough for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement