Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 11:11 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,928,061 times

Advertisements

I tried a walking regimen where I would walk to McDonalds, eat and then walk further to Burger King and eat again. I didn't seem to lose any weight for some reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 11:36 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,470,061 times
. The other advantage to the home exercise is that no one has to see me exercise, there's nobody breathing down my neck to hurry up and get finished so they can use the equipment ( I used to hear complaints about this in gyms). So I can exercise the best way I'm able, to take breaks as I need to to accomodate my old lady health-related issues ( such as afib that creeps in there, I pause till it passes). Or doing what I need to to accomodate a heart rate that won't go over 100 no matter what I do due to the medication to control the afib- my docs tell me to go for length of time not target heart rate, so I pause when I am out of breath. I'd be embarrassed, I think, to exercise that way in a gym full of exercise champions, LOL.

My gym is connected to my Medicare Advantage plan. It is open to the general public - but for $55 a month. I pay $50 a year on my plan.

I don’t dress “up” when I go but I do look presentable. And I have gotten to the point where I don’t care what my hair looks like - neither does anyone else.

But the kicker? THERE’S NO ONE THERE - or almost no one there - when I go in to work out.

We’re semi-rural. I know there are other retirees here - they’re just not going to the gym.

No one breathing down my back to use the treadmill or the bike.

I am OK with that.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:41 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
If I were just going to use a piece of exercise equipment or weights, I think I'd buy my own used (there are lots being sold cheap online) and stay home. What do you get out of going to a gym for OTHER than classes or the use of a community pool?

Old 06-29-2021, 11:57 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,161,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If I were just going to use a piece of exercise equipment or weights, I think I'd buy my own used (there are lots being sold cheap online) and stay home. What do you get out of going to a gym for OTHER than classes or the use of a community pool?

SHOWING OFF! Look at me, at how many aerobics classes I can do, how sweaty I can get and just keep going! Let me run past you and let me hear you say, "I wish I could breathe like that!". Let hear you call me Kara....though you probably would use the name you know me better by, my nom de voyage, the name I travel under as "Supergirl"...........

.........remember, you did ask!

Old 06-29-2021, 12:31 PM

15,100 posts, read 12,290,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
SHOWING OFF! Look at me, at how many aerobics classes I can do, how sweaty I can get and just keep going! Let me run past you and let me hear you say, "I wish I could breathe like that!". Let hear you call me Kara....though you probably would use the name you know me better by, my nom de voyage, the name I travel under as "Supergirl"...........

.........remember, you did ask!

And those people would most likely laugh their muscular aZZes off at seeing the way I exercise, not that I'd care all that much as I know I'm doing my best. They'd probably be disappointed as I'd be likely to ignore them and say nothing.

But why put myself through that, and have to share the exercise equipment with all those other sweaty marathoners?

Old 06-29-2021, 12:33 PM

15,100 posts, read 12,290,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
. The other advantage to the home exercise is that no one has to see me exercise, there's nobody breathing down my neck to hurry up and get finished so they can use the equipment ( I used to hear complaints about this in gyms). So I can exercise the best way I'm able, to take breaks as I need to to accomodate my old lady health-related issues ( such as afib that creeps in there, I pause till it passes). Or doing what I need to to accomodate a heart rate that won't go over 100 no matter what I do due to the medication to control the afib- my docs tell me to go for length of time not target heart rate, so I pause when I am out of breath. I'd be embarrassed, I think, to exercise that way in a gym full of exercise champions, LOL.

My gym is connected to my Medicare Advantage plan. It is open to the general public - but for $55 a month. I pay $50 a year on my plan.

I don’t dress “up” when I go but I do look presentable. And I have gotten to the point where I don’t care what my hair looks like - neither does anyone else.

But the kicker? THERE’S NO ONE THERE - or almost no one there - when I go in to work out.

We’re semi-rural. I know there are other retirees here - they’re just not going to the gym.

No one breathing down my back to use the treadmill or the bike.

I am OK with that.

Well, I'd be ok with an unpopulated gym like that, though I'd still not really like driving the 15 miles each way to get there.

But I'd probably be at home in a gym for retirees.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:00 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,442,522 times
I have a road bike, a mountain bike, a few pairs of skis, hiking shoes, and a bathing suit. I also have a birch plywood inclined plane for stretching my Achilles’ tendons. Stretching is the only thing I do in the house. I also have a push (not self-propelled) lawnmower, rakes, shovels, etc.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:43 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,578,248 times
i have a living opinionated creature with 4 legs, a mane and a tail. wouldnt trade the mare for anything. I know people who are in their 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s that still ride. Just look at the Queen.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:55 PM

25,705 posts, read 17,477,129 times
I could not have been sold a gym membership until this year, when I had a heart bypass. I thought I was doing a good job on my own. In fact, just a few years ago I walked 700 miles.

After the operation in January I took cardio-rehab. 3 times a week for 12 weeks. I learned a LOT about how to exercise, so when the medical community was through with me I signed up at a gym. 200$ for 18 months.

I much prefer the gym, and I go 3 times a week. What do I get out of it? ........ A complete workout, top to bottom. Takes about an hour. I have not felt this good in many years.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:37 PM
JRR

8,237 posts, read 5,736,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I want one of them, is there a cheaper alternative to NuStep and well built? Teeter FreeStep has my interest.

https://teeter.com/freestep/
This is the one we got. A bit less than a NuStep, but still expensive. Been used almost every day for 8 months and no complaints so far.

PhysioStep LXT Recumbent Linear Cross Trainer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement