Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 02:44 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times

Advertisements

Just went thru two hackers, one for $500 gift card and the other for $200 card. Finally got all cleared up with my bank and amazon. Then recently two attempts were made to buy a $1K tech phone and another for $600 for a video device. They are coming out of the woodwork from all over the world hacking.

So I had to get a new debit card and change P/W of course and WILL NOT use it on Amazon. I don't want to buy anything from amazon if I can help it and if I do I will use my credit card. I make SMALL purchases anyway and ebay does a good job for me and my supplement companies.

And thank goodness I've been given some education on what is going on out there.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:53 PM

17,348 posts, read 11,302,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just went thru two hackers, one for $500 gift card and the other for $200 card. Finally got all cleared up with my bank and amazon. Then recently two attempts were made to buy a $1K tech phone and another for $600 for a video device. They are coming out of the woodwork from all over the world hacking.

So I had to get a new debit card and change P/W of course and WILL NOT use it on Amazon. I don't want to buy anything from amazon if I can help it and if I do I will use my credit card. I make SMALL purchases anyway and ebay does a good job for me and my supplement companies.

And thank goodness I've been given some education on what is going on out there.
I have one credit card that I use exclusively for Amazon and pay it off 100% every month. It makes it easier to see if anything looks out of place with it. I never use my debit card with them because in case it gets hacked, I don't want someone to clear out my checking account.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:19 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,118,278 times
If you think you have been "educated" you missed an important issue. Don't use a debt card. Use a credit card instead. Federal regulations give you all sorts of protections for use of a credit card. If you use a debt card you are at the mercy of the bank's policies.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:23 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
I delete my card information (both credit and debit) from web vendors who store it and I never take them up on the offer to save it for "future purchases". They don't really need to keep that information, its a convenience for shoppers who don't want to be bothered to re-enter it. There are consequences for being lazy. When I buy something I log in again once the transaction has been cleared and remove the card info from my profile. I never make open ended transactions or carry a balance on these sorts of purchases.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-17-2021 at 03:33 PM..

Old 06-17-2021, 03:24 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,353,656 times
As noted do not use a debit card as you have little or no protection. Use a credit card which has more protections build in as long as you quickly respond to fraud.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:47 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you think you have been "educated" you missed an important issue. Don't use a debt card. Use a credit card instead. Federal regulations give you all sorts of protections for use of a credit card. If you use a debt card you are at the mercy of the bank's policies.
Bingo. Plus if there is. Problem, the cc company isn't taking money out of your checking account.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:01 PM

4,862 posts, read 3,292,420 times
Quote:

Today I got a call from from the 716 area code from someone with a very heavy accent claiming to be from Amazon wanting me to 'verify a purchase' I'd just made. A $20 purchase. Told me if I didn't verify the purchase they would cancel it. Hung up on me when I insisted on speaking to a supervisor. So of course, I was sure it was a scam. But by golly, five minutes later my purchase was cancelled, my account forcing a password change, and then into 'review' status and not allowing me to change the password. I was a very, very unhappy Amazon customer.

As it turns out, there ARE NO SUPERVISORS in the call center that calls to 'verify/authorize' a purchase, says the 'general' customer service supervisor I finally got to speak to. As a supervisor, he says he's able to bypass the normal trouble ticket 'queue' the CS agents have to use, and my problem was fixed in a matter of minutes instead of the typical 24-48 hours it would normally take. So that's good.

But Amazon is probably at this point in time the single largest computing services company in the world, and employs all manner of security. So several hoops to jump through to even MAKE a purchase in the first place. Why is it necessary to call me to verify a $20 purchase? From what clearly looks like a scam number?

Old 06-17-2021, 05:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
I use a debit card once in a while to get cash out of an ATM but otherwise, it's something I never use. It's too easy for someone to get into your bank account and steal your money. The bank doesn't care.

I use my Amazon card for Amazon and another cc for everything else. I like to use credit cards that give you points and those two cards give me a few hundred $$ per year every year. My favorite cc will alert me if a purchase is made in some place far away from me and they have been very good about refunding my money, such as when a cruise was cancelled due to COVID and the cruise company was taking ages to refund people.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
I finally got a debit card as I wanted to use it as "cash" from my bank account. I've never had issues with others than Amazon. I've been trying to pay down my CC, as I've never had it paid off, had some family expenses yrs ago and they are hanging on...try as I try....but with a 3.49% interest rate, not too bad. Like the govt, I"ll die with a debt.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:12 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,353,656 times
Quote:
I finally got a debit card as I wanted to use it as "cash" from my bank account. I've never had issues with others than Amazon. I've been trying to pay down my CC, as I've never had it paid off, had some family expenses yrs ago and they are hanging on...try as I try....but with a 3.49% interest rate, not too bad. Like the govt, I"ll die with a debt.
I see your problem. Try applying for the Amazon CC and only using it at Amazon.
Use your banks bill pay service and each time you buy something at Amazon go to the bill pay and send them a check for the amount. To much work? Then prepay a few dollars. Say send then 50 and work it down then replace the 50.

I would also try and reduce the use of the other CC as interest will kill you over the life of the cc. Maybe just use cash for a month or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement