Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If retired are you carry a mortgage?
YES 70 40.46%
NO 103 59.54%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 08:50 PM

561 posts, read 443,098 times

Advertisements

I retired in 2019 with 7 years left on my mortgage. However, for less than $900 for principal, taxes, interest, and insurance, it is much cheaper than renting.

I will be 72 when it is paid off. I have a pension and SS totaling $5k a month without touching my IRAs. It isn't a big deal. But I do close my ears when someone suggests moving! A paid-for house is my dream!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 09:10 PM

3,768 posts, read 5,901,161 times
Paid off well before retiring. It is a great feeling not to owe anybody anything. Our cars are old( '05 and '09) but in great condition(low miles) and we can pay cash if we needed to replace them.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:18 PM

25,760 posts, read 17,520,955 times
No.
I may be tempted to get a mortgage if I bought another home, but then when I consider the incredible and unnecessary expenses mortgage companies charge, I don't think I would do it.
Just use money from house A to pay for house B.

After a certain age all this blather about earning more money here or there just doesn't interest me.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:10 PM

16,252 posts, read 10,936,891 times
I paid off three properties but this last time I decided to keep a small mortgage that is less per month than rent on a single bedroom apartment. I'll probably stay that way for a few more years.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:26 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,714,072 times
Yes and no. We paid off our primary, twice... we just bought a third property... we alternate between calling it a "property", "farm" and "guest house". It's suitable for farm animals and/or a rental.

We are keeping a mortgage on it for the time being. We could probably pay it off in a couple years... if we keep it...

This is sort of my husband's "dream" property, but I have my doubts. My husband is actually a rather weak individual. I've known all these years, but it's REALLY apparent right now (rather severe IBS). I've been doing all the work and what little work he's done at the property, sort of misses the mark in what needs to be done.

He needs to stay inside his townhome with his video games and laptop (which is exactly what he's doing right now.....).

Old 11-21-2020, 10:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,871 posts, read 58,521,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We have a mortgage. I am in favor of using other people's money if the price is right
Me too.

Could pay it off if needed, but having available capital for other 'working' investments and opportunities has always paid off real well. (12%-18% annualized gains on other RE investments, while mortgage is a measly 3%).

My mortgage is considerably less expensive than my property taxes. and very inexpensive capital (Compared to commercial lending rates and fees)

I expect to be a renter in my later retired life, so I might as well continue to be used to the equivalent of a mortgage payment coming out of my monthly cash flows.

BTW... there is no "right" answer, and flexibility / benefit / wise use of investment $ can be argued on either side of the conversation.

Do what makes you sleep well. I watched the sheriff take my parents home, and the majority of my friends / peers pay their's off. I'm the outlier (as usual). I'm used to that, and I sleep fine.

Maybe tomorrow I will change my mind. That's allowed too!, but I have also been on the receiving end of...
“The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley.
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

(To A Mouse)”

― Robert Burns, Collected Poems of Robert Burns

Old 11-21-2020, 11:10 PM

1,670 posts, read 1,503,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We paid our mortgage off a year ago so we could combine our house property with the lot we owned next door. We wanted the entire property homesteaded. The bank holding our mortgage wouldn’t agree to combining proprerties, although the county said they could force it if needed. We didn’t want to get into a pissing match with the bank, so paid it off.
I believe when my friend combined his home with the adjacent lot he owned, the tax on his house went up because it was now on a larger lot.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:46 AM

107,444 posts, read 109,827,875 times
carrying a mortgage at retirement is a mixed bag ...

in the accumulation stage it pays to have a mortgage if you can beat the cost of the mortgage by a wide enough margin and A PREMIUM FOR TAKING ON INVESTMENT RISK WITH LEVERAGE .that means very high if not 100% equities .

unless i was 100% equities i would not borrow money today to put in a balanced portfolio with rates this low .

In effect you are buying equities leveraged with borrowed money . We tend to miss this factor ...

So you need to ask yourself if you were buying stocks on margin what would you want as a risk premium to make it worth doing .... you have 2-4% interest ...you have a risk free treasury bond paying almost 2% so how much of a risk premium over a risk free treasury bond would you want to not only buy equities but buy equities on leverage .. maybe 4% ?

If you were going to put that borrowed money in a balanced fund with a 6-7% return would you borrow money and do it knowing you have 2-4% interest and an investment with zero risk is paying 2% ?

That is a very different question now compared to just get more than the interest you pay.

In effect you are leveraged and your downside is now greater .....

Think this point through very carefully ....we don’t realize we can consider either one the investment bought on leverage when we borrow money and use our cash too.

We like to think it is our money in the stocks and the mortgage in the house but that is only mental masturbation when we do this ....it can be considered either way in effect in reality-because the situation has been altered from either just buying a house or just investing.

The risk premium as it is called becomes very important when using leverage because the downside is greater with leverage and that makes this a very different decision then we usually make.

We just have been fooling ourselves by taking our own money and the borrowed money and applying its use in a way that makes comfortable sense to us but the truth is all that money both your own and borrowed is coming from the same pocket and used interchangeably

https://www.kitces.com/blog/why-keep...orth-the-risk/

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-22-2020 at 04:31 AM..

Old 11-22-2020, 04:11 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,802,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I believe when my friend combined his home with the adjacent lot he owned, the tax on his house went up because it was now on a larger lot.
Taxes will be the same as we are paying now on both pieces, just combined in one bill. The main advantage is having the property under the protective umbrella of homestead.

Old 11-22-2020, 04:24 AM

15,011 posts, read 9,932,965 times
My residential property is mortgage free and has been for years. However... my investment properties are split, with and without. I like to keep the net return on property at no less than 1% a month, that is my goal. so far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement