Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 01:25 PM

43,283 posts, read 18,428,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Ha! I used to think that NYC was huge but then, visits to Mexico City and Sao Paulo showed me what 'huge' really means! I've been to six in this list of largest cities and nothing against NYC, it's not in the top 10.
Maybe not but all the places I have lived can't even begin to compare to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 03:03 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,126,577 times
When I retired close to 10 years ago, I spent a couple of years in the western US, mainly in the National Parks. I am glad I did. There is not much left of what used to be there. A couple of years ago I tried to stop in Zion. Forget parking, it was so crowded I could barely find a spot to pull off the road to hike or look at scenery. I ended up leaving within a couple of hours. There is not much left of wild lands in the lower 48.

Then we can wonder about global warming. That should not be any surprise if we look at the US population and then look at the population increase in the rest of the world. We are not just polluting the environment. We are rapidly depleting the world's resources including minerals, forests, water and farm land.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:49 PM

7,151 posts, read 12,700,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
When I retired close to 10 years ago, I spent a couple of years in the western US, mainly in the National Parks. I am glad I did. There is not much left of what used to be there. A couple of years ago I tried to stop in Zion. Forget parking, it was so crowded I could barely find a spot to pull off the road to hike or look at scenery. I ended up leaving within a couple of hours. There is not much left of wild lands in the lower 48.

Then we can wonder about global warming. That should not be any surprise if we look at the US population and then look at the population increase in the rest of the world. We are not just polluting the environment. We are rapidly depleting the world's resources including minerals, forests, water and farm land.
Yep, exactly. There was a book written in 1982 by William Catton entitled Overshoot. https://www.amazon.com/Overshoot-Eco.../dp/0252009886

The book told/warned about population growth and our planet's capability to support that ever-growing population. I think we're at "tilt" right about now.

Can't help but wonder if this is one of the causes of Covid virus. Our planet is sick--and now, so are we.

We're all connected...

Old 06-10-2020, 04:57 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,570,671 times
To the OP, try Europe. Not crowded or expensive.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:19 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,218,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I know, I got stuck behind a cattle drive the other day. UGH, it took me an extra two minutes to get where I was going.
well I hope your biscuits weren’t burning.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,084,568 times
I remember when I was in college that people were "advised" to just replace yourself and your spouse and not have more than 2 kids. Whatever happened to that advice? Nobody listened.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:33 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,101,432 times
We have too many useless people doing useless things, and too many people doing nothing at all except sucking off the people who *are* doing something.

Go CoViD!

Old 06-10-2020, 07:14 PM

295 posts, read 144,191 times
aim going to be real pissed if they make the stop sign in town a 2 way stop!

Old 06-10-2020, 08:44 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,449,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I remember when I was in college that people were "advised" to just replace yourself and your spouse and not have more than 2 kids. Whatever happened to that advice? Nobody listened.
Actually Americans have listened quite well. The U.S. birth rate is barely at that replacement rate. What happened in this country is immigration and lots of it. There ARE too many people everywhere- too many people who are well-off (that's us!) using tremendous amounts of resources, and too many people everywhere, in many places living in abject poverty.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:35 PM

21,580 posts, read 8,755,725 times
In my opinion, the root cause of many of society's ills today can be traced to overpopulation. There are too many people on this planet but not enough jobs, food, fresh water or housing or infrastructure to support them all. Millions of people crowded together in urban areas create tension between different groups competing for the same resources.

Employers can afford to pay low wages and cut benefits because there is a glut of unskilled workers who have no other options but to become wage slaves to uncaring corporate behemoths. They reward their top executives and shareholders well while abusing their workers.

Because cities have become overcrowded and expensive to live in (and often unsafe), people have to move to increasingly distant suburbs to afford a decent life for their families, and long commutes have become the norm. All those cars on the road are polluting our air and contributing to climate change, not to mention robbing people of time they could be spending with their families.

Free, universal birth control and easy access to abortion would help ease the problem, but it will never happen due to long-entrenched religious beliefs that may have made sense thousands of years ago when the human race needed to procreate in order to survive, but make no sense today. We've succeeded too well in propagating the species. It's come to the point where we are fouling our own nest and are well on the road to breeding the human race into extinction, but no one wants to acknowledge the elephant in the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement