Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 04:19 PM

689 posts, read 974,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Honestly, after reading an article on SS cutbacks I think taking it early is the prudent financial choice because of the high probability of cuts to benefits. So collect more before the cuts goes the thinking from those predicting cuts.

If you think that way, it really has nothing to do with when you think your time is up.
This is exactly why I took mine at 62 (5 years ago). There have been non-stop threats of reducing benefits, pushing the full benefit age upward towards 70, and the deletion of QOL increases - which is practically non-existent now. It just seemed prudent.

I will say that DH and I have significant investments and he is several years older so he took his at the maximum age of 70 and this all balanced out for us. Everyone's situation is different though, and if your SS is going to be your primary retirement nest egg the strategy may be quite different.

Last edited by LaylaM; 03-05-2020 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 05:16 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Excellent. This is exactly correct.

But, I'm astonished by all the people that took SS at 62 for the reason, "I may die before I get to the breakeven age."

Very strange.
How is that strange? The amount at 70 is much higher but you have to look at how much another person has already collected over the last 96 months when you are just getting your very first check.

Even when I enjoyed my job there were other things I enjoyed even more!

Old 03-05-2020, 05:39 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
If ss goes bust everyone would be cut regardless ....but that won’t happen ..you bet it will be fully funded in the 11th hour
Yes, but I could see cutbacks (or additional taxes on SS) that hit high-earners and those with savings from other sources disproportionately. I know that's one of the risks I'm taking in holding off to age 70 but, like everyone else here, I don't have a crystal ball.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:44 PM

106,732 posts, read 108,937,910 times
There are loads of reasons for taking it early or delaying .i can argue for or against just as strongly ...but one thing I always try to do is plan around what was , what is and what stands a reasonable chance of continuing

Old 03-05-2020, 06:19 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
I took it at 63 after my mortgage was paid off.

Then I took a seasonal job, work 6 months and then go play for 6 months.

The joy of retirement is that your time is all your own.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:27 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Well, I plan to take my SS at 70 because I don't need it earlier. That will be 10 years from now.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:33 PM

492 posts, read 234,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I have run all the spreadsheet and my break even if I took social security at 62, 8 months is a 25% reduction. I will be at break even at about 78. I feel like it would enable me to retire, and working longer does not seem like something I want to do. But then, you never know if you will live to even break even. For those that took social security early, say 62, how did that work out for you? Do you have any regrets? I think my biggest regret would be dropping dead at my desk.
Time is your most precious commodity, not money. How is your health? If it's so so then optimize it. Everyone looks at squeezing out every penny. If your mental capital is waning get out. Ive seen folks with fat pensions and zero mental capital and wammy , death.

Health care is a factor though. Will you get medicare? I just started my 3rd decade retired. My best day on the job doesn't even come close to my worst day retired. I'll take retirement any day.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:34 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I have run all the spreadsheets and my break even if I took social security at 62, 8 months is a 25% reduction. I will be at break even at about 78. I feel like it would enable me to retire, and working longer does not seem like something I want to do. But then, you never know if you will live to even break even. For those that took social security early, say 62, how did that work out for you? Do you have any regrets? I think my biggest regret would be dropping dead at my desk.
If retiring is your goal then it seems the best choice is obvious, you should take it and retire.

I'm already semi retired at age 61 and will be taking SS at age 62. I have a very good defined benefit health care coverage, so one way of looking at the reduction in benefit for taking early is that it will be somewhat offset because I will have 3 years of collecting payments without having the obligatory medicare deduction coming out of the monthly check.

Also, consider that as you age the amount of money spent on travelling, food, basically all of life's pleasures, will be gradually tapering off. Might as well enjoy it while you can and forget about breaking even. Actually, I sincerely hope that I don't break even!

Old 03-05-2020, 07:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
With so many of my fellow workers dropping dead it seemed like a good idea to get it early

Old 03-05-2020, 09:59 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,937,766 times
I'm taking mine at 62 in a few months. If I wait until I'm 66 & 8 months, I lose about 120k.

I'd rather have the money now, than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement