Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:49 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,340,527 times

Advertisements

Heck no

They gave us so much stuff it was crazy. And that was the military. I would get a new Leatherman tool every year. Never paid for uniforms or boots.

I felt bad that they wouldn't take my chemical gear, flak vest and web belt when i tried to turn them in. They said just keep it. They were outdated, but still.

I do wish i had one of those black government clicky pens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:58 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,008,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

I do wish i had one of those black government clicky pens.
I have a pile of those. Pens were the only employer purchased items I "pilfered".

Put one in my shirt pocket at work, take it out at home, place it on a stand near my wallet, keys, etc.... My wife would sometimes stash it somewhere (she hated surface clutter), so if it wasnt real convenient on my way out the door in the morning, I would grab a new one at work. Once in a while I would open a drawer, find a pile of pens my wife put in there and bring them back to the office. But the flow home seemed to outweigh the occasional returns.

Rinse and repeat for years.

Didnt really feel bad about it, as they were identified as consumables.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:16 AM

19,385 posts, read 6,544,801 times
It never even occurred to me to do so.

In fact, I was very proud of a book I produced for my employer and actually asked if I could take some home - and asked how many. I never so much as took a pen.

I don't steal.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:21 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,214,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The true character of a man is defined as what he does when nobody is looking.
Hahaha! Then we are all in very big trouble!

Old 09-27-2019, 07:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,864,430 times
We had all these items imprinted with our company logo, year after year, that we would give to our customers as little thank you gifts, or we'd hand them out at trade shows. Mostly things like pens, key chains, and sports bottles, coffee mugs, little digital desk clocks, etc. As a joke gift at my retirement party my work buddies collected one of each piece of "swag" as we called it and wrapped them all up in gift boxes and gave them to me. In truth our houses were all filled with various bits of company paraphernalia. After 20+ years working there we all had a ton of that stuff. That wasn't really stealing since the items were meant to be given away free, and the warehouse was filled with leftovers of the stuff.

In truth I LEFT a ton of stuff in my cubicle rather than bring home something work related that I'd never use again, like text books, reference manuals, desk fan, etc.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:56 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,830,123 times
Nothing.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:12 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,442,522 times
Just the red stapler

Old 09-27-2019, 08:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,864,430 times
^^^^^Ha ha!

We had a favorite stapler, the only one that worked right without jamming.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:43 AM

8,101 posts, read 10,146,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Just the red stapler

Can't believe you left that plant behind !

Old 09-27-2019, 09:03 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,190,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I did and am embarrassed now. It was small inexpensive things that I didn't need to do and have used little. Sometimes my boss would be unnecessarily unpleasant.
LOL: was going to scoff, but my old man sure did. Ripped off 20 year supply of pens, small pads, notebooks, staples, and similar sundries and organized them pretty well. I thought that was amusing, my dad being what D&D would have called 'Chaotic (or perhaps even) Lawful Good." Senior Manager, too. Want to see how a man is considered in his community, watch to see how many turn up for his funeral. I liberated some of what was left, the rest went with the estate. He never ran out from retirement to departure, 21 years, so mission accomplished.

Mixing pop culturalisms, my dad had his Red Lightsaber moments, or maybe pink instead of red. That was one, there were a (very) few others across the decade. All of us (wo)men have weak moments, only the Almighty can dispassionately judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement