Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 04:28 PM

5,863 posts, read 5,326,514 times

Advertisements

We usually have a liquid breakfast. Hubby has 2 cups of coffee with sugar. I drink tea without sugar. I have either 2 or 3 cups of caffeinated tea in the morning and then I switch to decaf/herbal in the afternoon.

We don't usually eat until about 2 p.m. sometimes later. That is usually, a sandwich or a bowl of cereal or some eggs, etc. If there are any leftovers from the night before, I eat that.

We have our big meal about 8-9-sometimes as late as 9:30. Dinner is usually a meat, a starch, & veggies. This comes in a variety of ways-sometimes a stir-fry, sometimes each one is separate. The veggies could be a salad or cooked veggies. We do have dessert. Most of the time dessert consist of fruit but sometimes it is ice cream or bread with goat cheese, or something that the chef made. For the most part, we eat pretty healthy. Where we do get is trouble is eating chips-even after dinner/dessert. We used to have yogurt right before bed (about 11) but stopped that.

People have asked if how we can eat lunch so late. We are used to it. Of course we eat dinner so late because we eat lunch so late.

Sometimes we will go out for breakfast-about 2 in the afternoon. Since restaurant food is more than we usually eat in the afternoon, we don't eat dinner per say. We will only have bread with goat cheese or something like that.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 04:42 PM

6,656 posts, read 7,138,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
David A. Sinclair
https://www.amazon.com/Lifespan-Why-...9073013&sr=8-3

I'm finding this book really fascinating. His recommendations include IF (Intermittent Fasting), CR (Calorie Restriction), plant based diet, exercise and exposure to cold. The health projections for the coming decades are well worth discussion. Author is a professor at Harvard Medical school, and has a lot of insight into current research.

Here is something to make you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Excellent book on Longevity-70637771_1625538717580925_3977564239253471232_n.jpg  

Old 09-22-2019, 04:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,847 posts, read 58,440,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
If it’s 12 hours then I’m definitely fasting. I eat a small meal around 5-6PM then I don’t eat again until 6-7AM. But only for a short time. But I don’t skip any meal at all.

Remember a key to 'IF.'.. Exercise (burn fat) AFTER your 12 hrs fast, but before you indulge.

Take water FIRST at least 30 min before eating (and best NOT to drink with meal)

Portion control
I shoot for 1200CAL / day when losing weight, 2000 when sustaining.

I also follow Glycemic Load (UK), rather than Glycemic Index (US)
Load has to do with rate of glucose conversion. (How fast food breaks down into glucose)
Index is strictly the amount / volume of Glucose available in a food.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:18 AM

23,345 posts, read 29,230,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That's pretty much my point. I'd much rather die at the age of 70 while still mentally and physically capable, then to live to 90 or beyond in a state of physical or mental impairment. I'm 65.
And if you keep note of what's going on in the world today, our dying planet, does anyone really want to be here 20 years hence?

Genes, genes, genes! There's your explanation!

If you think of the high cholesterol food my grandmother ate over the years, and she made it to 102! My Dad smoked 3 packs of Kools every day for 50 years, quit at 66, died at 96 with no respiratory problems.

I have COPD at 69, still smoke, and given what going on in the world today, I hope they're right, it'll shorten my lifespan even more!

Old 09-23-2019, 01:23 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,443,578 times
Long life or quality of life? Why should we have to choose. This is not an either or scenario. The idea for a long life is to have as good a life at 120 as you have at 60. The idea that you can have one of the other should be put to rest. You can have both.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:25 PM

88,916 posts, read 85,433,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And if you keep note of what's going on in the world today, our dying planet, does anyone really want to be here 20 years hence?

Genes, genes, genes! There's your explanation!

If you think of the high cholesterol food my grandmother ate over the years, and she made it to 102! My Dad smoked 3 packs of Kools every day for 50 years, quit at 66, died at 96 with no respiratory problems.

I have COPD at 69, still smoke, and given what going on in the world today, I hope they're right, it'll shorten my lifespan even more!
Mine made 94, her youngest brother is still alive at 95, and my mother will be 91 in November. There was no watching cholesterol or anything. Food was meat and vegetables with heavy gravies and butter, and my grandmother's cakes were famous for being heavy as lead. Both were somewhat overweight in adulthood, as am I.

That said, my grandmother had a heart attack at 89, which weakened her for the last five years of her live, and my mother had a quad bypass at 86. She is also on dialysis, but that is genetic, not diet-related. As a matter of fact, she has to eat high protein/meat now because of the kidneys, but can't have legumes or too many potatoes.

Neither smoked and only had a drink on a special occasion, though. I had some bad habits earlier in life, and currently, that may shorten mine.

So genes do have an effect, but we can easily destroy that genetic advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement