Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 01:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,839,013 times

Advertisements

One of the more interesting things that happened to us was at the first B&B we stayed in. It was in the boonies. When it came time to find a place to have dinner we asked the owner for advice (there was list of restaurants) and she recommended one. Then she told us one of the owners would pick us up, take us to the restaurant, then bring us back.

I had the corned beef and cabbage. Hands down the best I've ever had.

Towards the end of our meal I heard the couple by us talking and they were definitely from the U.S. Cincinnati as it turned out. They came to our table and we spent some time talking over dessert. The husband came to our table and apologized because his wife was very busy driving customers back and forth, then gave us all a small glass of Baileys. By the time his wife was ready to take us back we'd had four glasses and felt just fine, thank you.

I just checked and the B&B is now closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:50 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times
Arrived in Dublin yesterday afternoon, rented a car at the airport, then took the M50 around the city to the southern side of town, drove through some local roads, and then pulled into the driveway of the cottage we're staying at this weekend. No problems at all with driving on the left.

After settling in, we walked a few blocks and took the LUAS Green Line tram into the city (we bought a Leap Visitor Card at the airport that allows us unlimited rides for 72 hours) and walked around St. Stephen's Green for a bit before hopping back on the tram and going one stop to Harcourt where we had an early dinner and a couple of drinks at The Odeon, which I highly recommend. The Odeon used to be an old train station, but has been completely remodeled. A really nice atmosphere, as well as good food and good drinks.

Here's a link to info on the Leap Visitor Card as well as The Odeon.

https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-visitor-card

Menus - Odeon

About - Odeon

Old 09-27-2019, 10:51 AM

Thank you MMOB. We have plans to return to Ireland and I appreciate the advice.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:22 PM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Thank you MMOB. We have plans to return to Ireland and I appreciate the advice.
Today we took a drive down to Powerscourt House & Gardens in Enniskerry. The grounds are absolutely stunning; in fact, National Geographic voted Powerscourt Gardens #3 in a list of the world's greatest gardens. Also not to be missed is Powerscourt Waterfall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYvEW2FWMg

After leaving Powerscourt Estate, we continued driving south to Glendalough to visit an old monastic settlement and do some hiking in Wicklow Mountains National Park. Here's a short video of Rick Steves walking through that monastic settlement as well as a short talk on Powerscourt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMujxuSo9ac

To end our day in the mountains, we stopped for dinner and a pint at Johnnie Fox's Pub, which was established in 1798 and is renowned as Ireland's highest (altitude-wise) pub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ub7ifU18I0

We're now back at our cottage south of Dublin, and will probably close the night by walking down the road to another pub, The Dropping Well, which coincidentally is where we began the day having breakfast there. The Dropping Well isn't quite as old as Johnnie Fox's, having "only" been established in 1848. Here's a link to its website showing it's location on a little creek, as well as a look at it's delicious breakfast menu.

Welcome to the Dropping Well - The Dropping Well Pub

Food & Drink - The Dropping Well Pub

Old 09-27-2019, 04:40 PM

We planned on visiting Powerscourt House & Gardens in Enniskerry on our way to our first B&B, but our pos Garmin took us in the wrong direction from the airport and we lost time figuring out what was wrong. We should have taken the Garmin we bought in 1999 instead of the new one. It actually works.

Next time we will know better.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:32 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,395,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Arrived in Dublin yesterday afternoon, rented a car at the airport, then took the M50 around the city to the southern side of town, drove through some local roads, and then pulled into the driveway of the cottage we're staying at this weekend. No problems at all with driving on the left.

After settling in, we walked a few blocks and took the LUAS Green Line tram into the city (we bought a Leap Visitor Card at the airport that allows us unlimited rides for 72 hours) and walked around St. Stephen's Green for a bit before hopping back on the tram and going one stop to Harcourt where we had an early dinner and a couple of drinks at The Odeon, which I highly recommend. The Odeon used to be an old train station, but has been completely remodeled. A really nice atmosphere, as well as good food and good drinks.

Here's a link to info on the Leap Visitor Card as well as The Odeon.

https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-visitor-card

Menus - Odeon

About - Odeon

WOW -- thanks for keeping this thread alive with new information. I will definitely remember that restaurant!

Old 09-29-2019, 01:19 AM

MMOB always gives good advice. We were fortunate enough to meet him and his wife when they lived in Las Vegas. Wonderful people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement