Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 07:32 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I think it's the size of the lots that discourage human contact. I seldom had human sightings when I lived in communities with lots that were 1 - 200 acres. Now, I live in an old suburban neighborhood where I have daily sightings and frequent contact with my neighbors.

There's something to that. Our place in California is on a 6000 sq ft lot. We couldn't avoid our neighbors if we tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 09:09 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Looked online and saw I was excused from jury duty. Darn. Won't get another summons until 2022. Guess I'll go trout fishing before the afternoon storms pop up.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:22 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Trout fishing... nah.

When I go ocean fishing, I have bait that fights harder than trout.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:37 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Trout fishing... nah.

When I go ocean fishing, I have bait that fights harder than trout.
Well ok, I don't live near an ocean. So trout it is.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:16 PM

2,858 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Neighbors ? 1970's, asked a neighbor how one got to know people . She replied when the children begin school; I thought I have to wait 3, 4 years ? ! Early 1970's, most mothers working outside the home. Bless to stay home with my children.

Being raised in the 1950's, Oakland, California, front door unlocked. Neighbors usually knocking, coming in for coffee most days.

Bless to discover an outside group, became friends with a woman who became like a sister.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
About an acre more-or-less, as are most in this area.

People here tend to have elaborate back yards...pools, spas, ponds, outdoor showers, "sports courts" for the teens, outdoor TVs on their patios...and spend a lot of time there. I have one neighbor I haven't seen since she brought us cookies shortly after we moved in. That was December 2018. The dentist who lives across the street? I've never seen her at all. I'll have to book an appointment with her to meet her.

It's actually possible to never see your neighbors arrive or leave. Many people have cars with dark tinted windows. They go directly from their garage into the house. We've kind of gotten in the habit of waving at such cars, since we can't see who's inside. Maybe we're living in a Witness Protection neighborhood.
Sounds like a nice (rich) neighborhood

People buy into those neighborhoods desire privacy. The homes were designed for privacy. It was probably the reason you bought into this neighborhood but now you desire companionship.

Are we feeling lonely by ourselves?

Go out and mingle. As minimum, I am sure there are malls, shops, places where people gather that you can go and be among the crowd. Call up your friends and make reservations for lunch, afternoon tea time, etc.

Maybe you just need some sun. A lack of vitamin D causes depression and in an extreme this could lead to suicide. Just look at folks who live in Seattle.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well ok, I don't live near an ocean. So trout it is.
Just messing with ya

Actually trout fishing can be fun with light lines. I like to use 2 lbm line (very fragile so must be very careful) and salmon eggs as bait. It's even better with nature as backdrop. It's good just to be out there. Here in SoCal, I went out to the boonies such as the "golden trout reserves" in the mountains. Good times.

As one philosopher who once said "many who fish all their lives do not realize it's not the fish they're after..."

Old 07-23-2021, 12:00 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
On the way to the grocery store, the sun was out and it was pouring rain this morning: a sun shower. That left me in a strange frame of mind. When I stopped at an intersection’s red light, a box truck next to me had a ‘We Care, Senior Relocation Services’ logo on the side. All I could visualize was a truck full of senior citizens sitting in recliners and rocking chairs in the back. Or a truck full of shady, old people needing to change their identities and addresses. I’m sure that’s not the image the We Care people intended, but that’s how I interpreted it this morning. It struck me as oddly humorous.

It is a legitimate company, I searched for it when I got home. They move seniors to independent living, assisted living and within senior communities. In their online blurb they state they will help people rightsize instead of using the term downsize. I kind of liked that. I bookmarked the site. Seriously. Sigh.

https://wecareseniorrelocation.com/

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-23-2021 at 12:22 PM..

Old 07-23-2021, 01:35 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
I got up at 7 AM to go walking this morning and it was already so darn hot and humid. I guess that I'll have to get up at 6 on Sunday morning as the heat is going to stick around for a while. Still have a bit of a haze in the air from the fires out west.

My little garden is still still giving us a bit. My yellow pear tomato is loaded so we are not lacking for tomatoes for our salads. Picked our first Red Brandywine yesterday and what great flavor! Still getting cucumbers for our salads and first orange pepper will go into dinner on Sunday. The zucchini was another flop; I think I'm giving up on it. Strange that I have no luck here but in my sandy soil in Florida, got tons of them.

Got our hair cut the other day and what a relief. The lady who cuts it went on a two month vacation our west; by the time she got back I was incredibly shaggy. No concerns here about me being bald in my old age.

Went ahead and got another piece in place for our Alaska trip next year. Bought our return tickets from Sitka to Nashville. Not a lot of flights from Sitka that lined up with the flights from Seattle to Nashville, so when a reasonable price showed up, I booked them. Now I just have to keep waiting for the right price for Nashville to Juneau, but will have more options there.

I guess I'll go ahead and start a sprinkler in the back on the new flowerbed and the garden. Haven't had any rain lately and none predicted her for at least the next two days

Old 07-24-2021, 05:48 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I may have bookmarked a Senior Relocation Service yesterday, but I also went on a nighttime seagrass wading tour last night.

It was an educational and fun night with a dip net, bucket/bubbler and green light head lamps in Lemon Bay to discover what creatures were in the seagrass. It was a full moon, so the tide was out far and we were walking in areas where the water is normally chest deep. We gathered on shore to see what we found: dwarf seahorses, striped burr fish (related to and puff up like pufferfish), shrimp, pinfish, minnows and a sea-star. Some of the more sensitive ones were looked at in the water and put them back where they were found. We saw wading birds on the flats and a dolphin in deeper water chasing the mullets seen jumping out of the water earlier. We walked down to the bay as the sun was going down at 7:30. The headlamps were great for illuminating the large spiderwebs spanning the path through the pine flatlands as we walked back to the visitors center/parking lot at 10.

I would never have believed I would ever be out in the waters of the Florida Gulf at night. It was a blast! The thread about seniors and the internet came to mind and I appreciate the internet greatly because of things like this. I learned on a local Facebook group about this wading tour and that a few spots were still open late yesterday afternoon. We signed up before we had too much time to think about it.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-24-2021 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement