Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 AM

11,175 posts, read 6,764,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Try being a female that never reproduced.
LOL. In my experience, most are somewhat envious!

But yes, "single" is a legal term. When I bought my condo in TX without my husband, I was told in some states you need to get his PERMISSION (but I didn't there) to buy your own property without him.
That seems discriminatory!

Also, never say never, OP. DH didn't marry until age 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 AM

529 posts, read 500,689 times
Seems this thread has turned into the definition of legally single.

I am currently single again, and have no plans to marry again. Currently no girlfriend, but that could change in the future. Highly doubtful on marriage, and if so, will keep finances separate. I just bought a house about four months ago, and never have felt any animosity from the neighbors. They have been great. The only thing I have been asked was why so big of a house (2,500 sqft). Kinda shrug, and tell them it was just the one that fit for the area I was looking in.

I am absolutely enjoying it, could care less if someone likes or dislikes it, and if anyone has a problem with that, I have cowboy boots to kick up their ***.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:34 AM

34,227 posts, read 83,435,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Seems this thread has turned into...
After the first page (maybe two) EVERY thread turns into... something else.

As for this thread... it has no business in the retirement section.
Maybe relationships better in psychology.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:37 AM

3,271 posts, read 5,036,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm lifelong legally single. I just closed on a property Friday. I've met various people at restaurants, bars, etc.., since then. I've gotten the impression from them that being a single male property owner is "weird."

I don't see myself marrying. This "condition" will likely persist. It's unlikely that I'll marry or have kids within the next couple of years.

As you aged and remained or become single, how did you handle it? Logistically and socially? Do you feel discriminated against because you choose to remain legally single?
OP, I suspect that the reaction you've seen, i.e., that a single male property owner is "weird," may be more a function of where you live and the sophistication (or lack thereof) of the people you're talking with.

I think that if you were in a more urban location, your being a single male property owner would raise fewer eyebrows.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:51 AM

16,252 posts, read 10,933,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I didn't get married til i was 39. My OH was 43. First marriage for both of us.
Prior to that, i WAS paying what they called a "single surcharge " when i traveled.
That travel supplement thing is a real deterrent for single people to travel as part of a group tour. I'm not a tour person but there are some tours, mostly educational or hobby-focused, that I'd like to take part in but they are already expensive and then there is that "single supplement" tacked on.

I was single until 28 and had no discrimination issues -- most of my friends were single as I recall back in the 1970s. Now I'm 71 and single (widowed) for the last twelve years and I don't really care one way or another. I may have made some unconscious, or even intentional, choices as an elderly single widowed guy in order to avoid being the "widower poster child" among friends and acquaintances but that is a different issue.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:58 AM

41,004 posts, read 49,458,860 times
I'm single. I own a house. A very nice house.

Ladies dig my very nice house. Many have liked staying over in my very nice house.

It has a great view and says I've been successful.

Much better than my bum friends who are homeless, live in their cars or some crappy apartment. I don't care what other guys think.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:27 PM

11,262 posts, read 9,888,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Seems this thread has turned into the definition of legally single.

I am currently single again, and have no plans to marry again. Currently no girlfriend, but that could change in the future. Highly doubtful on marriage, and if so, will keep finances separate. I just bought a house about four months ago, and never have felt any animosity from the neighbors. They have been great. The only thing I have been asked was why so big of a house (2,500 sqft). Kinda shrug, and tell them it was just the one that fit for the area I was looking in.

I am absolutely enjoying it, could care less if someone likes or dislikes it, and if anyone has a problem with that, I have cowboy boots to kick up their ***.
Yeah, I got that too when I bought my house after my divorce. It was a 4 bedroom, 3 car garage. I jsut said that it was for resale value. Actually it was because I wanted the one with the big master bed and huge bath and that only came on the 4 bdrm model.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:08 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,407,052 times
When I bought my first home in 1990, the mortgage paperwork stated "Jane Smith, a single woman." Surprised it did not state "spinster." There was some discrimination associated with the house hunting and purchasing, realtors at open houses who ignored you because they did not think a woman could afford the home or not serious enough about buying since her husband wasn't around, etc. Similar to other salespersons (thinks car sales).

A few years later I was looking for a larger older home in an established neighborhood. Some of the sellers were older retired couples who were downsizing but did not want to sell their home to a single person. They had raised their families in those homes and wanted it to be sold to a married couple with children. And even people my age were surprised that I was not living in a condo or townhouse. One guy admitted on our second date that he thought he had the wrong house when he went to my address (he was a manager for our employer and made more money than me but lived in an apartment).

I could write a book about discrimination or bias against never married women but things have improved significantly over the years.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,819,595 times
I'm female and single, have owned two houses and have never experienced what the OP describes. But I've been in California and Hawaii my whole adult life. Maybe what he's describing is an East Coast phenomenon.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:26 PM

13,741 posts, read 9,830,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
When I bought my first home in 1990, the mortgage paperwork stated "Jane Smith, a single woman." Surprised it did not state "spinster." ...
When I bought my house, the deed said, "Ohio Peasant, unmarried,..." But when I paid off my mortgage, the letter said, "Be it known to all men, that..." So, in this archaic language, the marital-status of the buyer is a matter of public record, and is announced as such. But the presumption is that the impersonal judges overseeing the whole thing, the Greek Chorus, are all male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement