Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:45 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Congratulations. I'm retired and one thing I would add to your list, if it isn't already part of your routine, is exercise.

Gardening is great, but I would add in walking or even biking. I used to do a lot more exercise when I was working, but stopped when my daily routine changed. After a few years, I pushed myself to get back out there and I'm glad I did.
Great suggestion! Use it or lose it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:02 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
someone else posted on another thread on this forum that their perception is that many "old people" make a sort of hobby going to doctors! He commented on someone who said he had 100+ doctor appointments that year

First, going to a doctor is rarely enjoyable. Secondly, people don't choose how many doctors or visits they make. It just works out that way at times. Someone has a problem, goes to a doctor, gets sent to another, who sends them to yet another, and so on. Each doctor then orders a myriad of tests, all of which require yet another appointment, then, usually, a follow-up appointment. It can get out-of -hand.
When we first moved here, about 10 years ago, I sought out a primary care physician. She ordered so many tests I was appalled! However, I realized they were all baseline tests for wellness, etc, such as mammogram, bone density, etc. I dutifully had them done. Then, they all came due again

I did discuss the tests with PCP and we were able to delay some tests, etc. However, I did begin to realize, I do have to make a commitment to my health. And to my DH health. Its really not fun, nor a hobby, to keep your health in line, but necessary. Keeping on top of insurance coverage also becomes a necessary chore! Please excuse some of us older folks if we discuss it more than some would like to hear (and I do try to keep a lid on it), but it does become a responsibility towards ourselves, and a type of job (AKA chore).

Sometimes I get so sick of the never ending doc-go-'round, I declare a month off. This year its November. NO doctors, tests, or dentists that month! Whatever can wait for a month! As we get older, our health needs more attention, so, make up our minds to do it! There are payoffs, such as a longer, healthier life!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:28 AM

1,142 posts, read 578,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Retirement is just around the corner for us!

Here's some thoughts I have on how to spend my time:
(no particular order of importance, just as they occur to me)

Learn French -- again! I was somewhat proficient in it in high school and college, but I've all but forgotten most of it, or so I thought. Recently my dh and I started watching French Village, a multi-part series about the German occupation of a French village during WWII. Its mostly in French with English subtitles. I find, much to my surprise, much is coming back to me! I still rely on the subtitles, but its coming back. I still have my old French textbooks from college, I might brush them off and see if I can re-learn it!

Learn how to cook -- again! I cooked for my family of four, but our kids are grown and out of the house. I'd like to start learning to cook healthful meals for two

Foster kittens. I love kittens, but at our age I don't think it would be fair to take on kittens who would probably outlive us! I would like to foster some to help them become adoptable.

Vegetable gardening, flower gardening

Get going with Genealogy! I've played around with subscriptions to sites like Ancestry, My Heritage, etc, but I would like to really delve into the topic. Maybe take some college courses, perhaps even do Heritage travel tours!

So, how's this sound for a retired lady's activities?
Sounds exciting! Once you start geneology. expect your vegetable gardening to be pushed back a season. It's more addicting than crack lol

Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 AM

1,142 posts, read 578,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not really. Figure in the cost of the RV, poor gas mileage, cost of food is the same or higher than home and staying in campgrounds isn’t free. And if not doing it by RV, eating at restaurants and staying at decent motels is easily well over $3000-$4000 a month.
Living on the road can be much cheaper as stated

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
https://harvesthosts.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement