Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:51 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,446,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I suspect that objection depends a lot on where one lives. ;-) In my area, police are pretty well paid. Here the police force is a 'county' one and so their salaries are public record and accessible. Here are the published county payrolls for 2018 (have to copypaste because the newspaper is only free-access to subscribers and customers of Optimum/Altice): The police make up the largest sector of the County payroll by far (about $550 million.)

The number of people making $200,000 or more a year working for Suffolk County in 2018 rose by 23.5 percent. In both counties police make up the bulk of those earning $200,000 or more a year. This database was posted on March 29, 2019.

Some examples from the 2018 salary rolls from the PD (I rounded up or down to the nearest hundred thousand)

Division Chief (on force since 1981) $680K
Department Chief (on force since 1986) $625K
Detective (on force since 1989) $503K
Sergeant (on force since 1989) $479K
Police Officer (on force since 1989) $426K
Detective Sergeant (on force since 1986) $376K

The police officer current salaries range from a high of $426K for the 1989 hire, to a low of $32K for a 2016 hire.

The SCPD's web site says on the recruitment page:

Starting [base*] salary $42,000 annually, increasing incrementally to $111,506 after twelve (12) years of service. [* not including OT]
Night shift payments. All uniforms and equipment are supplied by the Department. Yearly uniform cleaning allotment. Paid family dental, optical and medical plans.
Thirteen (13) paid holidays. Fifteen (15) paid vacation days first year of service, increasing to twenty-seven (27) days after five (5) years of service Thirteen (13) sick days first year of service, increasing to twenty-six (26) days after the first three (3) years of service; Unused sick days are cumulative.
Three (3) paid personal days first year of service, increasing to five (5) days after three (3) years of service.
Pension plan. Members are eligible for retirement after twenty (20) years of service at 50% of five (5) year final average salary. Vested retirement plan after ten (10) years.

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that the police are worth every dollar they get and then some. Just posting for comparison purposes to other parts of the country.
This is why UNIONS are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This is why UNIONS are great!
"...Under H.R. 397 (which is similar to the Butch Lewis Act already before the Senate), insolvent union pension plans would receive taxpayer dollars to invest in the stock market, as well as loans to cover their broken pension promises..."

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/08/...ssive-bailout/

Yeah, unions are great, all right.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 AM

980 posts, read 678,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
"...Under H.R. 397 (which is similar to the Butch Lewis Act already before the Senate), insolvent union pension plans would receive taxpayer dollars to invest in the stock market, as well as loans to cover their broken pension promises..."

Mehhh... Suffolk county has no shortage of dough. Some of the highest RE taxes in the state.(try on $15,000/year) Fat cats are found in every municipality across the nation. They are paid well and in accordance to the high COL in Suffolk Co.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,044 times
I haven't read the whole thread but my parents paid for our college education. While they didn't dictate our major or career choices, I can be pretty sure they wouldn't have paid for a degree in Art History or French Literature. I majored in Math, my sister in Medical Technology (she later became an MD), 2 of our 3 brothers majored in Accounting and the 3rd in Mechanical Engineering. This was the 1970s. We all had jobs from Day One and I had the longest period of unemployment- 6 weeks after a downsizing with 6 months' severance pay.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

That would make sense if they were public employees. It's a state expense!

Old 08-14-2019, 12:21 PM

16,118 posts, read 10,794,956 times
I don't recall that topic ever coming up in serious conversation with my parents. My dad was a numbers guy. I flunked algebra and couldn't get my locker combination to work. I went in a different direction but eventually got to numbers and statistics through a back door on my own many years later. I think the 1960s were a puzzling time for young people to start planning careers. There was a bit of push-back on parental advice anyway.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:35 PM

1,096 posts, read 419,831 times
My Mom was a secretary, its how she met my Dad. She pushed me into typing and shorthand in high school. But my Dad said he didn't want me being a secretary. He'd rather I went into some Business career. What *I* wanted was to study was art. They said they weren't gonna pay for me to go to college to have me sit on a street corner somewhere begging people to buy my paintings. I also considered going into art therapy but it was so new that they didn't seem to understand it. I wound up doing various things, no real career path.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I don't recall that topic ever coming up in serious conversation with my parents. My dad was a numbers guy. I flunked algebra and couldn't get my locker combination to work. I went in a different direction but eventually got to numbers and statistics through a back door on my own many years later. I think the 1960s were a puzzling time for young people to start planning careers. There was a bit of push-back on parental advice anyway.
Oh, to be an employee of Bell Telephone in the 60's!

Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,637 times
I set my own career path and let my parents know of my plans from early on. I was the middle of three kids and the one who was always working to support myself as much as possible. From when I was about 13 on, my parents of course provide "room and board" but I purchased my own clothing and anything else I wanted ...and could afford. I did depend on them for rides - we lived three miles outside of town - but at 15, I was allowed to purchase and pay for my own motorcycle. I had begged for one for year and the answer was "no" but I think my dad got tried of driving me back and forth to town.

I never suffered any long periods of unemployment. I've lost two jobs and was able to secure other positions within the same company without losing a paycheck. I've been lucky.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:32 AM

905 posts, read 670,055 times
I remember my Mom encouraging me to be an X ray Tech. The neighbor girl was one and my cousin was studying to be one. So before the internet existed I went to the library to research this as a career. I love science, so that was good, but when I found out it was also heavy in math, I knew it was not for me. I sucked at math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement